Driven To Wander - Vancouver to Patagonia

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
Costa Rican Red Eyed Tree Frog

We drove 3 hours out of our way to visit Frog Heaven North of San Jose, Costa Rica. Owner of the place decided to convert their 17 acre farmland into habitat for frogs in late '90s. I felt like kid in the candy shop. I adored these animals all my life and seeing them in wild was such a treat.

38254432801_f3d14da4b1_o.jpg

38254487251_b9ba182416_o.jpg

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
A Cactus Forests Between Two Towns Part I

38284385872_59d96b04d4_o.jpg

The travel notes are drying up, my memory is fading, but thankfully we have photos! Sitting here staring at pictures of the cactus in the dry heat of Mexico, remembering our time spent through the inland areas of Mexico.

After Mexico City, we headed to Puebla, or rather the small town to the North West called Cholula. We almost had the attitude of “ok, let’s get this colonial town thing done so we can get on with it. “It” being coastlines and beaches again. We were both sleeping poorly, and wishing something would turn around in our mental state.

26542997029_a84e29f755_o.jpg

The change in our attitudes came in the form of a message from our new accountant, saying both our USA and Canadian taxes were done! On top of that, my double-taxation situation was resolved (a hazard of living in multiple countries and working), and I would be getting some money back. Okan was calculating how many more months of travel we could fund, and I was happy picturing big checkmarks next to items on my todo list.

Our drive through Mexico enlightened me as to what items you can purchase at a stop light, speed bump, or any place one has to reduce speed on the roadway. I've come to believe it's quite ordinary to purchase back-scratchers, fresh produce, jars of honey, baked goods, seat supports, water and other bottled drinks this way. But that didn't prepare me for seeing husky puppies being held up by the scruffs of their necks at the toll booth. Who has a husky in Mexico? Who buys them at the toll booths? I don't think I want to know the answers to these questions. We drove onward and I remain puzzled.

35793464584_dd61d03ca1_o.jpg

In Cholula, we looked forward to wandering hiking up to the splendid yellow Church of Our Lady of Remedies which is nestled high on a hill. Just one of many many churches here. Legend says there are 365 churches in this town, one for each day of the year, a desire of the Spaniards who conquered the indigenous Indians in a blood bath many years ago. The Spaniards didn't quite make their goal, and built "only" 159 churches on sacred Indian sites around the area. This particular church is unique in that it is mounted on top of a pre-colonial pyramid which is buried under the hilltop. The pyramid is the largest in the world, yes even larger than those in Egypt, just buried under a hill so no one realizes it's size.

Anxious for the following day's exploration, we settled into a nice city campground, which was basically a parking lot, but it had a lovely green area with an even lovelier pool on the grounds. We were walking distance from the town centre, but far enough away that we hoped to get a quiet night for a day of walking when we woke.

I can't recall if we had much noise or not, I only remember not sleeping well. My sleep troubles have seemed to now become apparent to Indigo. He came close to me in the morning as I was tossing about and whispered "Mommy. Face me. I'm here for you." This announcement of support definitely helped my mood as I approached another day without sleep

After walking further than expected, we all hiked up the steep church steps to the top of the hill. The church is beautiful and the view of the impressive Popocatépetl and Iztaccihuatl volcanoes is really nice. But, what I really wanted to see were the tunnels of the pyramid underneath. We walked almost entirely around the base of the hill to find the entrance..which was unfortunately closed. Repairs were in progress and the tunnels were not safe. Indigo was not happy about that either.

38315895071_383cfe9dd9_b.jpg

38307499696_23150b86fd_o.jpg

We headed back home a bit bummed about not seeing the tunnels, arguing about which direction was home, as the temperatures started dropping. We eventually found the campsite, but arrived tired and grumpy. A dance party seemed in order, so we turned up the Michael Jackson. While Indigo was head banging away, he asked me if I remembered "the time we were dancing and 'Poof!' my underwear fell off?" (his, not mine). I don't remember it at all, but I have no doubt it happened.

The following night we went walking and found the quaint street (the one that every Mexican colonial town has) with all the shops and cafes, admired more wall murals, and happened upon the city square which was having a carnival, complete with kiddie rides and bouncy houses. Some of the rides were a bit sketchy-looking safety wise, so we settled on the bouncy house and a small train ride.

36459435112_127326e2b4_o.jpg

26587008169_98dfcef8d5_o.jpg

We got some chicken tacos and cheese quesadilla and joined all the families eating around the square. Our food didn't look anything like I’ve seen before in Mexico. The quesadilla bread was thick and green and had the weight and texture of a calzone. It tasted just ok, but that could have been because my expectations of what I was getting was so off the mark. A crazy storm hit suddenly, and we ran with our food under the tent tarps, with the wind knocking down tent polls, and blowing chairs about. It was fun for me and Indigo, because we were wearing warm clothes. Okan, thinking he was in the desert already, was miserable in his t-shirt and flip flops, getting drenched and freezing. The wet and damp led to aching backs and more poor sleep, prompting our monthly conversation to resolve ourselves to getting into shape. We have still not discovered the how-to part of this decision.

38315898481_7cf07fb963_o.jpg

We decided to stay one more day so Okan could get some preventative work done on the truck. Fluids needed to be changed, and we were on a level spot where we could easily unhitch the truck from the camper. While Indigo and I swam in the pool, made mud cement, and played the day away, Okan was driving around trying to find ATF-4 transmission fluid and synthetic motor oil and dealing with one of those dreaded Mexican police stops.

After visiting a Dodge dealer, Okan turned onto a street in Pueblo, and a motorcycle cop loitering at the corner motioned for him to pull over. Okan asked what the issue was, a question the cop ignored and proceeded to ask for his licence. Okan handed over the laminated license copy, and the cop asked for the original which he didn't have. So now the whole conversation turns to the license, and he is never told why he was pulled over in the first place, although Okan continued to inquire. The cop played the "Ok, I'm going to try to cut you help you out" scam, asking Okan to pay cash so he wouldn't have to be taken to the police station. Okan stayed calm and asked for a ticket, and said he'd be happy to go to the station. The cop tried his lines again, but Okan stayed firm. This conversation was taking place in a combination of broken English and Spanish, so we're not really sure how much each side was understanding. Okan went to sit back in his car while the cop pulled others over and seemed to mull over what to do next. After sitting in the car another 1.5 hours...just waiting...Okan finally got out and asked what happens next. The cop gave Okan his license copy back and said he could leave, apparently resigned to the fact that Okan wasn't going to get scared or be worn down. This was the biggest thing Okan and I were worried about during our trip, because Okan, with Mediterranean blood coursing through his veins, can get really angry at scams like this, which we know will get us in worse predicaments. I was really happy to hear how he handled it, but Okan was not as happy, as the stress of the encounter lasted for the next several days.

Before we left Cholula, we met some new overlanders which help to brightened our moods again. Adam and Natalie, from London and South Africa, were on their way to Costa Rica and shared our campsite for a night (or perhaps it was two nights). For such a small amount of time we hung out together, we were instantly at ease and felt like we'd known them forever, or at least for more than a day. Adam and Natalie were on a crazy fast schedule to Costa Rica, looking for property to buy, and preparing for their wedding. We exchanged information in the hopes of bumping into them again (which we did).

37649484614_e83368edcb_o.jpg

It seemed during this period, our attitudes, moods and experiences were flipping and flopping often. Much like the scenery. Our next stop was a 180 degree departure as we landed in the middle of a cactus forest with not a soul around. It was so quiet, and surreal. We parked right in the middle of the common area, because...it was empty and we could... perfect choice to soak up the surroundings.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
A Cactus Forests Between Two Towns Part II

36231846370_a893f19b64_o.jpg

36490698681_ba5e41b599_o.jpg

We had ta great morning. Indigo slept late and Okan delivered tea in bed. I read my book while sipping tea for an entire 45 minutes. Heaven! Was so nice to wake to the complete silence, except birds, and feel a cool breeze coming through the windows. And although I can't remember it, I think I slept really well that night.

38363845901_3ec80ae6f0_o.jpg

But our time amongst the cactus was cut rather short as we wanted to get to the next stop where we could hopefully fix the crack on the fiberglass shell of the camper. Looking back now, we would have never of stayed only one night if we were to do it again. We've gotten slower and slower in our travel as the days and months have worn on, but at the time...getting every little thing fixed still seemed to take precedence over soaking in a new area. That would definitely not be the case these days, as we are now living with many things to fix, and they go up and down the priority list depending on our next location...and sometimes they magically drop right off the list.

37649624364_72b080de2e_o.jpg

It was a long drive to the next campsite through the mountains to just past the city of Oaxaca where we stayed at Overland Oasis. Calvin's reputation drew us to this campsite, as he worked on race cars for years, and has an amazing shop with everything one would need to fix a rig. I have heard that you must be careful with Calvin, because he gets so excited about new projects, that he might just come up with an idea and fix your rig by morning if you don't clearly say you don't want any work done. But we were there to hear Calvin's ideas, and he had plenty. He agreed that the crack in the fibreglass was also cosmetic, and fired up his welding equipment and made a custom piece we bolted into the side of the camper behind the gas tank. Okan is happy with the solution, although he had to let go of the idea that he would never drill a hole directly through the fibreglass.

38389893881_20a5579e7d_o.jpg

Calvin was also creative with how to occupy a 3 year old in a small camping area while the welding and repairs were underway. He converted an inflatable boat into Indigo's very own swimming pool during our stay.

We went into town a couple of times, taxi there and bus for the return trip. It's a nice town, the streets were much cleaner and there were more choices in regards to shopping and restaurants than other towns we'd visited. Some of the buildings were so grand and pristine, I almost thought I was in Washington D.C. at times. Perhaps we'd just been to too many towns, but we were not loving Oaxaca the way so many others seemed to. We don't have the budget to dine out in the quaint cafes and nice restaurants, and dining out with Indigo also presents it's own challenges. I could objectively see all the many positive aspects of the town, and understood why so many expats were living there, but we just weren't feeling it.

If I am going to take anything away from this part of our trip, it's again to not hold onto an idea or feeling for long. They change quickly, fade into the background. Maybe one day we will return and experience these places differently...or maybe not, there is so much to see in this world.

Last edited:

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Still really enjoying your posts. Please do keep them coming! Also, sending you a PM with a couple questions.

Driven To Wander

Adventurer
West Coast Mexican Beaches with Hippies and Hammocks - Part I

25796641718_c9d8c5bdc3_o.jpg

We were excited to head back to the beach and meet our friends Luciano and Caina in Puerto Escondito. We hoped to finally try surfing under the guidance of Luciano who happens to be a rockstar surfer. But the drive over the mountains practically did us in. It was long, wildly curvy, and harrowing. We had to stop several times so I would not throw up. We thought about stopping half-way, but didn’t do our research in advance for a place to stay, so just kept on keeping at it until we reached the coast. It was going to be dark soon, and we stopped just outside of Port Angel at a very cool looking campground with cabins on stilts. Our first foray into a hippy town. Lots of back backers, tents, dreadlocks, surf boards, etc. We worried a bit about late night partying and all that comes with it, but the portable kiddie pool outside the cabins with children playing lessened our concerns considerably.

27889943199_15fc90ba97_o.jpg

39638017882_07af32fafe_o.jpg

I initially thought the parking spot came with the brightly covered palapa/cabin. I realized they must be rented separately when I started walking up the steps of the cabin located directly in front of our truck, to see a naked man come out of the door in a hat, just a hat, with me at eye level to his family jewels. I quickly said excuse me and went back down the steps, and turned to soak in the views of the ocean to cleanse my eyes. It didn’t really seem like a nudest place, most people were dressed. We just happened to get the upstairs neighbour that wanted to roll el natural.

40206811971_50f96d44bd_o.jpg

39668820271_9f37400a3a_o.jpg

The water was too rough for swimming, so we had lots of fun digging in the sand, and Indigo swam in the kiddie pool with some others. We found a great taco stand across the road, and had a generally good time here.

25796633918_0f22ab74c6_o.jpg

We saw others strolling on the beach naked, a couple cleaning their porch naked, but our neighbour continued to outdo himself with his nakedness. He would also stand around with hands on hips, and chest puffed up, seemingly trying to determine how many people he could get to stare at him, before picking a path to his destination. He was the only person going to the restaurant naked as well. He didn’t seem to engage in conversation with anyone, but was a fixture throughout the campground. I have been very comfortable in nudist places all my life, but this man seemed to be more like a “look at me” nudist rather than “let me be me” nudist. Needless to say, we left after a few days searching for more comfortable surroundings, and after we were able to get the sleeping dogs out from under our truck.

38959699974_95d908a55d_o.jpg

We found much more comfortable settings just down the road at Playa el San Agustin. The beach was rough on one end, but there were calm waters and snorkelling at the other. The facilities were much less than basic; bucket flush toilet behind a sheet of a rickety wooden shelter (a.k.a not very private), bucket of water for showers, no market nearby, and no wifi....but we had the best time here. Neighbours can make or break a place, and we hit the jackpot with our Swiss and French Canadian neighbours.
Bérénice and Raoul with two boys and a girl, and Stéfane and Amélie with their two boys.

True to the Swiss reputation, Raoul and Bernice were very organized and had living on the road made into an art form. We discovered they met Stefan's family in Bali, and here they were traveling/living together again in Mexico. Meal times were shared under the palapa on a large mat. The men cooked lunch, and the women seemed to always cook dinner, unless there was meat to be barbecued...which was often. Lot's of playtime for the kids, and some dedicated time for studying and naps, and usually a late afternoon snorkel session. We easily joined the various activities of the day.

38771274755_7d1b9cd203_o.jpg

39668781371_dcf3b0afcd_o.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles