Proposed 1k fine for vehicles over 20 years old in Oregon

eggman918

Adventurer
I wonder how much better it is for the environment to trash a car that could be fixed, waste all the resources to build the new one and transport it to a dealership versus just keep in your old car going?

My daily driver is a 1968 F-250 that has a '90's drive train and a cummins 4 cylinder turbo diesel and as it sits it's at least 90% post consumer content and gets over 18 mpg,add to this that the 'carbon footprint' from it and it's components manufacturing has long since been turned into wood,food or rain forest i would propose that it's current "carbon footprint" is MUCH smaller than any new electric vehicle being produced today.........$.02

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm a firm believer in Federalism so I don't really have an issue with this because I don't live in Oregon.
I'm still not sure what the actual purpose of the law is, whether it's to try and increase the revenues of the state by discouraging people from owning vehicles with lower taxable value, to stimulate the market for new or newer vehicles, to try and keep more polluting and more unsafe vehicles off the road, or some other reason I haven't considered.
But Oregon isn't a dictatorship, after all, and if the people of the Great State of Oregon want to inflict this kind of punishment on themselves, then so be it (see also: California.)
The thing about these kinds of laws is that they always - ALWAYS - have unintended consequences. I would imagine that one of the unintended consequences of this law would be that vehicles that were registered at 19 years (and thus "good" until they are 24 years old) would then be taken out of state to be sold, which would mean you could probably get a pretty good bargain on a vehicle that is 19 - 24 years old in ID, WA, NV or CA by buying it from an OR resident who doesn't want to pay the registration penalty.
Conversely, vehicles that are in the 15 - 19 year range would probably see a boost in value since they are under the threshold for the punitive registration. Sellers of new or new-er cars might see a boost in sales as people dump their older vehicles to get newer ones, but I'm not sure that is necessarily a boon to the economy, since people who have to spend money on a more expensive car payment are likely to have less $$ in their pocket to buy other things, so while one sector of the economy might be bolstered, another would see a loss.
Finally, as in California, I would expect to see a lot more "registration fraud", i.e. people getting a mailing address in a nearby state so they can register it there and continue to drive without incurring the penalty.

bluebear

Observer
Old vehicles are not wanted in many left leaning states, for a number of reasons - Smog, safety, sales taxes, higher registration fees, etc. Look at how much states collect in sales taxes and registration fee's on a new car vs a 20 year old car. Insurance companies push new cars also for safety, but they also pay less injury claims and collect higher premiums.

In the near future when self driving cars come to be, there will even be more pressure to stop allowing "Human Driven" cars on the the roads for safety reasons.

So the future is murky, at best for older cars.
**** left or right you dummies. The japan 10yr replacent is comming. Every insurance company is leaning for it. Big lobby numbers. Damn right and left a holes.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
California wants to add a $100 per year fee on ALL vehicles. That one is in the works now. The governor is also pimping a $60 annual increase in registration fees. All this is on top of outrageously high tag renewal fees. I think the last renewal on my 12-year old Dodge 3/4 ton was $385. No matter what they claim as a reason, it's a lie. Bottom line is they want more of your money. They are screwing us every in single way that they can get away with.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
It's to fund his legacy,Brown's bullet train to nowhere. Original estimate $33 billion. Present day estimate $100 billion and the state's infrastructure is in shambles.
Way to go California citizens who bought into this bond measure!

chet6.7

Explorer
Should Moonbeam be changed to Bullet Train Jerry?
Ride the train from Bakersfield to Fresno for a gala weekend.

Happykamper

Explorer
Oregon has no sales tax, there registration fees for new and preowned are next to nothing ....so there not making anything there. The " smog " is only collected in southern Oregon, Medford :) and Portland area ...so not a gain there . This law will not pass, however if you look at DMV laws in California, Oregon and Washington and there history's , this could be a trial balloon to see what response it might have. California usually takes the helm first then followed by Washington then finally Orregon. Will be interesting to watch. The left as some call them, have a a penchant for getting rid of old vehicles that pollute more then there dream electric car society. Remember the ( cash for clunkers ) $4000 for old vehicles to get you to buy new. Yes it helped the auto industry that the government bailed out !!! But it also got rid of a lot of polluters . Those cars and trucks were all destroyed. So you have to watch the bouncing ball to see what the real gain is ! But in the end those who need these cars ultimately pay the heaviest price as older cars are what they can afford. People like me who just love older rigs are going to pay whatever is charged. It is a very unfair society we live in for all involved in these idiotic laws that serve no real purpose.

Ziv

Observer
Oregon doesn't have a sales tax so the Revenue Committee is always floating trial balloons to increase state revenue. The Bill mentioned at the top of the thread has a very poor chance of being brought to the floor.

ExplorerTom mentioned that we can't pump our own gas. That's kinda true. If you are filling a motorcycle or trike you can pump your own. This is also true if you are a member of a card lock station. Also, in the really small towns in east Oregon, no one throws a fit if you start to fill yourself. Different story west of the Cascades …

While Oregon is viewed as a ‘lefty' state by many, the legislature is pleasantly bipartisan. We don't have a lot of the right vs left infighting that you see in states like Texas or in DC. Politics in Oregon in surprisingly civil.

Happykamper

Explorer
Oregon politics are civil:). We just never get anything done. From Eugene up is left . South is right except for Ashland !! Nobody really knows what Ashland leans toward??? Lol. Believe me it's a fun little town, but I believe they not only read there own press clippings but they smoked them too!

Your right tho as I said this will never become law here .... But after reading what California is suggesting:). it goes California, Washington then Oregon ! And at only 160 more were sure to say" well that's lower " and eventually join in.

Oregon is my favorite home !!! GO DUCKS OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fike

Adventurer
Sensationalist news shouldn't be fodder for serious conversation. At the state level, there are allot more crazy extremists on both end of the spectrum. Frequently news outlets highlight the shenanigans individual state representatives who are morons. They do this to discredit one party or another. A state senator in BF Egypt calls the president a monkey and suddenly the whole dip**** party is racist. Another state representative says we need to kill all the zombie cows and everyone in the Hooha party is anti-cow.

Don't take the bait.

The article repeatedly says the bill has no legs.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
California wants to add a $100 per year fee on ALL vehicles. That one is in the works now.
They did that here, called the FASTER fee. It took my old 1991 truck annual renewal from about $25 up to around $70. Actually my new(ish) 2008 was about $81 to renew this year, so it's not crippling yet. But before any of you Californians get an ideas the state's all full, no more vacancy. You should consider perhaps Nebraska. :)

MOguy

Explorer
Oregon politics are civil:). We just never get anything done. From Eugene up is left . South is right except for Ashland !! Nobody really knows what Ashland leans toward??? Lol. Believe me it's a fun little town, but I believe they not only read there own press clippings but they smoked them too!

Your right tho as I said this will never become law here .... But after reading what California is suggesting:). it goes California, Washington then Oregon ! And at only 160 more were sure to say" well that's lower " and eventually join in.

Oregon is my favorite home !!! GO DUCKS OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is civil?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/riot-declared-in-portland-oregon-amid-new-wave-of-anti-trump-demos/

https://www.facebook.com/fox12oregon/videos/10155066468878701/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior