Proposed 1k fine for vehicles over 20 years old in Oregon

INSAYN

Adventurer
Yeah, I don't understand where this is going?

One, it will make owning a running paid off vehicle unnecessarily more expensive and for what gain?
Two, retired folks on fixed incomes, low income families, high school and college kids trying to make it through school on a budget with a cheap car unnecessarily more expensive and for what gain?
Three, it will target many folks like myself that have older tow vehicles for their RV's, pay an extra $1000 every 5 years for no reason.
And last, I am quite sure it will diminish the value of any said car for sale within Oregon.

My 97 F350 Power Stroke has been paid off for years, has only 124K original miles and I've only put 8k miles on it hauling my truck camper in the past 3 years total.
I have averaged less than 5k miles per year in the 14 years I have owned it.
My 97 Tacoma still passes DEQ every two years, so what is this $1000 representing, air quality, road wear?

I just don't get it?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Old vehicles are not wanted in many left leaning states, for a number of reasons - Smog, safety, sales taxes, higher registration fees, etc. Look at how much states collect in sales taxes and registration fee's on a new car vs a 20 year old car. Insurance companies push new cars also for safety, but they also pay less injury claims and collect higher premiums.

In the near future when self driving cars come to be, there will even be more pressure to stop allowing "Human Driven" cars on the the roads for safety reasons.

So the future is murky, at best for older cars.

MOguy

Explorer
This is a tax that will really hurt the lower income. I can't believe it would eve be considered but I guess it is a lefty thing and as a righty I just don't understand.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Of course, $1000 every 5 years works out to $200/year. Not cheap but not a dealbreaker for most people. Given the choice between $200 additional every year or having a car payment ($450+ every MONTH) it would be a no-brainer to me. But then again, the NEWEST vehicle my wife and I own is now 7 years old (her 2010 CRV.)

MOguy

Explorer
Of course, $1000 every 5 years works out to $200/year. Not cheap but not a dealbreaker for most people. Given the choice between $200 additional every year or having a car payment ($450+ every MONTH) it would be a no-brainer to me. But then again, the NEWEST vehicle my wife and I own is now 7 years old (her 2010 CRV.)

I pay less just paid $86 to register my 1979 Chevy one ton for two years and less than $140 a year to insure it. I have an 86 Toyota 4X4 pick up that the registration is about the same and the insurance about $15 more a year. I have an 01 Wrangler that in a few years would be subject to this tax. An additional 200 a year per vehicle.

That $200 a year is more per vehicle than I pay for the insurance and registration on the two vehicles I have that would be subject to that tax and probably not much less than I pay on my wrangler when it would fall into that category.

I think that tax is outrageous.

I make a comfortable living but would NEVER pay $450 a month for a vehicle payment.

ClovisMan

Observer
Good thing I don't live in Oregon! My Grand Wagoneer is 29 years old and my Cherokee Chief is 39 years old. Does this apply to Overland visitors? :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Didn't Oregon also float a plan to tax vehicles by the mile using some kind of GPS? And I seem to recall that Oregon also slaps a higher tax on hybrid vehicles to offset the fact that they pay less in fuel taxes (because they consume less fuel, duh.)
Of course, Oregon is also the only state in the Western US where it's illegal to pump your own gas, because apparently protecting a job that is pretty much the definition of a dead end is somehow important to the people of Oregon.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
For those asking "what's the purpose?" it's to separate you from your money. Just one more government money grab from California-North.

BrianV

Observer
Wow, bold. Maybe Oregon really has been overrun by ex-California's. But they really migrated from else where to California. So I guess miserable people flock together.

MOguy

Explorer
I wonder how much better it is for the environment to trash a car that could be fixed, waste all the resources to build the new one and transport it to a dealership versus just keep in your old car going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles