JK Service Manual

BCobe

Adventurer
Anyone able to track down a service for the JK? All I have been able to find is the CD but its not compatible with MACs.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is this a brand new JK? I only ask because when I was looking for factory service manuals for my 2008 Tacoma I found out Toyota stopped printing hard copies in 2011 for their vehicles and the electronic ones are the only option. So it's possible all manufacturers have gone this route. Makes sense since most dealerships just keep electronic ones and I guess so do independent shops now.

But FWIW, I've been able to assemble OEM books from these sources along with eBay.

http://www.helminc.com
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com
http://www.factoryrepairmanuals.com

IPA

Observer
I have a PDF copy on my computer that I downloaded from somewhere online when I bought my 2015.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I have a PDF copy on my computer that I downloaded from somewhere online when I bought my 2015.

For what year? It would make sense that made the, in PDF format so it would be multi platform.

BCobe

Adventurer
All I have seen is the disc version for the 2014 but cannot utilize it due to my computer. 2-300 dollars also seems a little steep considering the price of Haynes manuals.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you are comparing a Haynes manual to a Factory Service Manual, I have to ask if you've ever used a Factory Service Manual. There is a huge difference. Worth the money.

unkamonkey

Explorer
If you are comparing a Haynes manual to a Factory Service Manual, I have to ask if you've ever used a Factory Service Manual. There is a huge difference. Worth the money.
Yeah, get a real manual. I got a Haynes manual for my Volvo and it is full of information for too many models and most of it is wrong. As said on other forums, they are better used as a door stop.

Last edited:

BCobe

Adventurer
I have not but had a Haynes for my WJ and it did what I needed it to.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have not but had a Haynes for my WJ and it did what I needed it to.

So, if you're looking for a Haynes, Chilton's, or similar, that is not what most people would call a "Service Manual". There is a difference, and a reason that you might want a factory manual some day. Eventually, all of the Haynes and Chilton manuals can be boiled down to "figure out what is wrong", then "remove all parts attached to the broken part", followed by "installation is reverse of removal". That is great for a lot of people, but eventually you figure out how to fly solo without that aid. They are certainly worth the $19.95 or whatever they run now, and are great sources for stuff like torque specs, but YouTube can also do most of that for you.

I do like the Haynes "Techbook" series, as they are a little more detailed, but specific to topic and not vehicle.

A factory "Service Manual" usually includes things like wrench and bolt sizes, troubleshooting fault trees, wiring diagrams, optional engines, axles, drivetrains, and specialty tool requirements in addition to transmission and axle specifications, etc...

A Haynes or Chilton generally says something like "rebuilding this part is beyond the scope of most mechanics"... "curl up in a ball and cry until you can afford a new truck"...

Seriously though, there is a huge difference between what I initially thought you were asking for and what I now believe you want. the factory service manual is worth $200+, and if you can download it onto a $50 Craigslist tablet, so much the better.

Either way, I don't have one, but appreciate you asking the question, because I'm finally free of the FCA warranty morons on my JK, and would like to find one.

unkamonkey

Explorer
I learned around 40 years ago that a FSM is the only way to go. A lot may be BS but it has good stuff for bearing clearances and such that actually apply to your vehicle.

BCobe

Adventurer
So, if you're looking for a Haynes, Chilton's, or similar, that is not what most people would call a "Service Manual". There is a difference, and a reason that you might want a factory manual some day. Eventually, all of the Haynes and Chilton manuals can be boiled down to "figure out what is wrong", then "remove all parts attached to the broken part", followed by "installation is reverse of removal". That is great for a lot of people, but eventually you figure out how to fly solo without that aid. They are certainly worth the $19.95 or whatever they run now, and are great sources for stuff like torque specs, but YouTube can also do most of that for you.

I do like the Haynes "Techbook" series, as they are a little more detailed, but specific to topic and not vehicle.

A factory "Service Manual" usually includes things like wrench and bolt sizes, troubleshooting fault trees, wiring diagrams, optional engines, axles, drivetrains, and specialty tool requirements in addition to transmission and axle specifications, etc...

A Haynes or Chilton generally says something like "rebuilding this part is beyond the scope of most mechanics"... "curl up in a ball and cry until you can afford a new truck"...

Seriously though, there is a huge difference between what I initially thought you were asking for and what I now believe you want. the factory service manual is worth $200+, and if you can download it onto a $50 Craigslist tablet, so much the better.

Either way, I don't have one, but appreciate you asking the question, because I'm finally free of the FCA warranty morons on my JK, and would like to find one.

Thanks for the info, I did not know there was such a big difference between the two. Looks like a site called Mopar Tech Authority sells them for about 135 bucks. If it is the same thing as you describe then I can definitely justify the money.

https://www.techauthority.com/products/?year=2014&model=685&type=4

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thank you for the link. At $135, I will probably get one too.

Remember, with shop time north of $100 / hour most places, that $135 can pay itself back very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz