Merc T1 210 4x4 Adventure Camper

goexplore.ae

Now, this isn't a build thread, but more of a call for assistance and advice before I take the plunge.

I've found a pretty solid (incredibly) 1991 210 4x4, originally converted by Iglhaut Allrad and shipped to the United Arab Emirates for use by the municipality. The condition of the mechanics are currently unknown, but should they be serviceable, it'll be full steam ahead with a rebuild and conversion.

Questions;

- availability of the mechanical bits? I want to get the gearbox, diffs etc sorted/rebuilt here in the UAE but happy to start shipping some items from Europe, should the bits be available.
- Upgrading the engine - it's a petrol lump, which is fine for the middle east, but the ultimate goal would be to take it back to Europe, where fuel is a *bit* more expensive. I'm happy to stick with petrol, but some more power/better economy would be good. Has anyone swapped out a V8 from a G Series, or swapped the petrol engines for a diesel unit?

Any help, advice or information would be appreciated.

kerry

Expedition Leader
India's Force Motors made (makes?) a turbo version of the MB 616 4 cylinder diesel which they put in their versions of the T1 van and in their versions of the G-Wagon (Gurkha) If I were going to swap in another engine, I'd look into one of those engines. Not sure about the legalities of a non-OE engine in there. The standard MB 616 would probably work too although it's only 70 hp.

Sitec

Adventurer
These were great vans.. We used to use them as mechanics vans on a farm when I was half the age I am now!! Guttless as hell though.. A very strong Mercedes engine worth considering is the OM602 5 cyl, especially the turbo version... Found this on YouTube.. Might be worth further investigation...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjtfW7eOW0

If you want a really mad van and a lot of work, the 6 cylinder OM 606 is good for huge power.. Length might be a problem in a T1 though. ��

Last edited:

goexplore.ae

Thanks guys. Seems that most of the mechanics for the 4wd system were from period G-Wagons, so parts shouldn't be much of an issue, just the front axle is wider than the G item.

Need to work out how much space is in the engine bay for conversion. It's currently fitted with the 100hp 2.3 petrol lump, which by all accounts isn't too bad (60mph/100kph) for where ill hopefully be taking it.

Maybe in the future upgrading to another petrol, like the V6 from the G320 AMG that's available over here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne