UTV Overlanding?

p nut

butter
The small one with all the steel bumpers actually checks in at 2.5 tons. The bigger one rolling stock is a shade over 2.5 tons. But either will do 80 mph all day long from coast to coast, drive through pouring rain, scorching heat or freezing cold. They can climb mountains without needing a trailer to go to the next mountain.

They do all that AND can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood home from the hardware store.

Not sure what that has anything to do with what you said earlier.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
they are fun as **** to race at rallyx, even bone stock. I can see where they would be a lot of fun in the woods too, but unfortunately the irresponsible ************** that own them with the here hold my beer and watch this attitude have where they are allowed in my area reduced to very little. so other than just fire service roads you cant take them anywhere else. would still be a lot of fun, but motorcycles access a lot more remote places away from the here hold my beer and watch this idiots I go camping to get away from. love the warn one with a rtt, but imho, id take a kei truck over a utv any day. basically the same size vehicle but with ac, heat, and windows. plus they can be made street legal rather easily...at least around here anyway.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
they are fun as **** to race at rallyx, even bone stock. I can see where they would be a lot of fun in the woods too, but unfortunately the irresponsible ************** that own them with the here hold my beer and watch this attitude have where they are allowed in my area reduced to very little. so other than just fire service roads you cant take them anywhere else. would still be a lot of fun, but motorcycles access a lot more remote places away from the here hold my beer and watch this idiots I go camping to get away from. love the warn one with a rtt, but imho, id take a kei truck over a utv any day. basically the same size vehicle but with ac, heat, and windows. plus they can be made street legal rather easily...at least around here anyway.

Agreed, this is why we no longer go to Moab the week before, during, or after the UTV rally in Moab. Sadly though, they are legal on suburban roads in parts of Utah and have caused a few accidents.

warwickscout

Observer
Agreed, this is why we no longer go to Moab the week before, during, or after the UTV rally in Moab. Sadly though, they are legal on suburban roads in parts of Utah and have caused a few accidents.
wow I am sure no UTVs ever CAUSED and accident in Utah or anywhere else, just like guns don't kill people,you guys sound just like the people who say vehicles only belong on paved roads.utv have there place just like rtt or umogs.I you don't want one don't get one.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
wow I am sure no UTVs ever CAUSED and accident in Utah or anywhere else, just like guns don't kill people,you guys sound just like the people who say vehicles only belong on paved roads.utv have there place just like rtt or umogs.I you don't want one don't get one.

Use English much there buddy? When some moron in his side by side blasts through a stop sign going 55 in a 30 and T-bones my neighbor's daughter a block away from our house I take it a bit personal. But as luck would have it she turned out okay and the moron driving the UTV almost had his leg amputated.

warwickscout

Observer
A moron is a moron know matter what he is driving.sorry about the little girl but if he was driving a expedition ready land cruiser would you blame all overland's.kind of small minded

p nut

butter
A moron is a moron know matter what he is driving.sorry about the little girl but if he was driving a expedition ready land cruiser would you blame all overland's.kind of small minded

Yeah, I get what you're saying. But certain vehicles tend to attract a specific kind of people (generally speaking). i.e. BMW's. Prius. You get me?
_
I'm in UT as well. While I've never been down to Moab during UTV rally's, I've been around the Jeep and dirt bike crowd long enough to know what kind of shenanigans goes on down there. I'll never be a part of that.
_
I see UTV's around town as well. Although, most I've seen are just normal, family guys riding around for a good time. No d-baggery I've personally witnessed.

Clutch

<---Pass
UTVs are basically motorcycles for people with bad balance and the desire to take more with them than they should.

That and not being road legal (in most places) makes them toys and little else.

I dunno, most of my moto buddies are getting close to retirement age....some went the ADV bike route for a bit, tried to get their better halfs to come along...most of them don't care for long hours in the saddle, many of them sold the ADV bikes and bought UTV's. Much more enjoyable experience for everyone.

It is strange, when we were kids didn't matter what you rode, bike, quad, trikes, go-carts, etc....no one cared, we just had fun. Now there is Us against Them mentality...with well....just about anything and everything.

Have met good and bad people in all forms of recreation. I mostly ride dirt bikes, have been almost take out by Jeeps, UTV's, Quads on transfer sections...and had head on collisions on single track where other dirt bikers think it is a race track. Also have met some very nice polite people too, where we both yield to each other, stop and chat it up a bit.

Years ago there was an article written by an environmentalist in one of the local rags, putting down off-pavement motorized recreation...I wrote in basically saying we all aren't bad, they actually published my letter. The author and I e-mailed back and forth, asked her if she ever been on a quad or UTV...she said no. Said to her, how do you know if you don't like something if you never tried it, even invited her out to help with one of our trash cleanups, and I would teach her how to operate one...she refused.

So to the OP...yeah I would overland an UTV, just do what we do with the bikes...use the trucks as basecamps...and go further in with the UTV. I'll often drive the truck to eat up the pavement miles, and still do some camping off the bike away from the base camp.

warwickscout

Observer
I dunno, most of my moto buddies are getting close to retirement age....some went the ADV bike route for a bit, tried to get their better halfs to come along...most of them don't care for long hours in the saddle, many of them sold the ADV bikes and bought UTV's. Much more enjoyable experience for everyone.

It is strange, when we were kids didn't matter what you rode, bike, quad, trikes, go-carts, etc....no one cared, we just had fun. Now there is Us against Them mentality...with well....just about anything and everything.

Have met good and bad people in all forms of recreation. I mostly ride dirt bikes, have been almost take out by Jeeps, UTV's, Quads on transfer sections...and had head on collisions on single track where other dirt bikers think it is a race track. Also have met some very nice polite people too, where we both yield to each other, stop and chat it up a bit.

Years ago there was an article written by an environmentalist in one of the local rags, putting down off-pavement motorized recreation...I wrote in basically saying we all aren't bad, they actually published my letter. The author and I e-mailed back and forth, asked her if she ever been on a quad or UTV...she said no. Said to her, how do you know if you don't like something if you never tried it, even invited her out to help with one of our trash cleanups, and I would teach her how to operate one...she refused.

So to the OP...yeah I would overland an UTV, just do what we do with the bikes...use the trucks as basecamps...and go further in with the UTV. I'll often drive the truck to eat up the pavement miles, and still do some camping off the bike away from the base camp.

well said

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Its true use the big truck as a base camp with the trailer, that the UTV has gotten that far as a camper and cruise the remote areas in the UTV. Me I live in the center of a half a BAJILLION roads track trails that lead to all corners of this province. I previously had a Suzuki Samurai thats just a bit bigger then some of these machines and smaller then some also. Well the advantage to it was its street legal. But the ride it was a little rough though..

Clutch

<---Pass
well said

Thanks.

Its true use the big truck as a base camp with the trailer, that the UTV has gotten that far as a camper and cruise the remote areas in the UTV. Me I live in the center of a half a BAJILLION roads track trails that lead to all corners of this province. I previously had a Suzuki Samurai thats just a bit bigger then some of these machines and smaller then some also. Well the advantage to it was its street legal. But the ride it was a little rough though..

Having a couple different modes of transportation with you while you're traveling is great...as I don't want to pound slab on the dirt bike, the same can be said for the truck, a lot of places off-pavement I don't want to take the truck or it simply wouldn't fit.

Here in Idaho, we have some great summits to camp on you can access via roads or trails...the truck would take forever to get up there, the bike can zip up there with ease. I'll put up base camp in the valley, then often want to camp up on the mountain one of the nights so I can see the sunset/sunrise from waaaay up high. :D "The higher you get, the higher you get"

In this pic my truck is down at the base of those mountains in the distance. Believe I am sitting on single track when I snapped the pic.

13620700_10154390375279630_8260812908064159447_n.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter

I think that's me at the first ridge way in the distance, leaning on a tree, gasping for air on my bicycle.
_
Yeah, I'm way too impatient to take a truck up and down obstacles I can clear pretty quick on my bike or ATV. My family really doesn't like the "wheel", so it's great to set up basecamp, then go explore by myself for a little while. Not a perfect set up for everybody, but works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles