UTV Overlanding?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I use mine strictly for hunting and getting around at the ranch. I do believe the overwhelming majority of those who buy them use them for work or to hunt. Yes there is a small segment that utilizes them to play but I would certainly not lump everyone into the group of ************** simply because they own one.

BensonSTW

I've been a lurker for a while here. Currently working on 4 separate build threads each capable of doing some thing different of the others. I've been a mechanic and fabricater for 20 years, and built dozens of expedition style vehicles. One of those threads being a can am that I plan trips with to see how far I can travel without touching a paved road. I've thoroughly enjoyed this sight until this thread. Now I've come to realize it's no different than pirate 4x4. I'm not going to participate in another sight where I will be ignorantly judged by someone else. I haven't contributed to the sight yet but now I will no longer be viewing it either.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The small one with all the steel bumpers actually checks in at 2.5 tons. The bigger one rolling stock is a shade over 2.5 tons. But either will do 80 mph all day long from coast to coast, drive through pouring rain, scorching heat or freezing cold. They can climb mountains without needing a trailer to go to the next mountain.

They do all that AND can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood home from the hardware store.

A properly equipped UTV can do all of that too. My new ranger has AC and heat, a 900 with supercharger, and it will tick off 90 mph when pegged. so the only thing you have on me is the 4x8 sheet of plywood....I have no idea why I would want to take one in the back country anyways. Plus, I can go farther when you get blocked by rocks etc....so essentially the UTV can go more places than your expo rig! Just sayin!

Easy Ian

I imagine my FJ would be complete if it weren't for my YXZ1000R. A dune/sport machine. I completely disagree with the assumption that UTV riders are nothing but people who aren't talented enough to ride a motorcycle. I've rode MX over half my life, raced, podiumed, etc.
I bought the YXZ because I believed it to be much more versatile than advertised, and so far, I have been absolutely right. In fact, since buying it 8 months ago, I haven't even fired up one of my MX bikes because the UTV is so much fun.
Currently, I'm in the process of having a cage custom fabricated to provide safety, and increase storage capacity. My friends and I travel multiple days through the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and Rockies. It's an absolute blast. My YXZ can go about 175 miles on a tank of gas, and can tear down roads as fast as you feel comfortable going. Where my FJ goes 15-25, the Yamaha is going 45, to as fast as you want. They are truly a blast, and I highly recommend going on a tour in one. Just make sure it is a sporty UTV. Taking a tour in a work type UTV, although also fun, is not the same experience in any way shape or form as what you would experience on a Yamaha YXZ, Can-Am X3, CA Maverick, or Polaris RZR/General. The sport machines are night and day more off road capable.

Easy Ian

I imagine my FJ would be complete if it weren't for my YXZ1000R. A dune/sport machine. I completely disagree with the assumption that UTV riders are nothing but people who aren't talented enough to ride a motorcycle. I've rode MX over half my life, raced, podiumed, etc.
I bought the YXZ because I believed it to be much more versatile than advertised, and so far, I have been absolutely right. In fact, since buying it 8 months ago, I haven't even fired up one of my MX bikes because the UTV is so much fun.
Currently, I'm in the process of having a cage custom fabricated to provide safety, and increase storage capacity. My friends and I travel multiple days through the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and Rockies. It's an absolute blast. My YXZ can go about 175 miles on a tank of gas, and can tear down roads as fast as you feel comfortable going. Where my FJ goes 15-25, the Yamaha is going 45, to as fast as you want. They are truly a blast, and I highly recommend going on a tour in one. Just make sure it is a sporty UTV. Taking a tour in a work type UTV, although also fun, is not the same experience in any way shape or form as what you would experience on a Yamaha YXZ, Can-Am X3, CA Maverick, or Polaris RZR/General. The sport machines are night and day more off road capable.

dcg141

Adventurer
Every form of off roading has its boneheads. That being said a lot of boneheads seem to be especially fond of UTV's.

gloch

It's been a few years since the original post. Just curious if the tone on this topic has changed? Are people more or less interested in UTVs as an overlanding vehicle?

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
This is awesome, looking to have a custom rack built for my ranger as well for that exact purpose. Do you have any more pictures of the tent unfolded ? Hows the balance with it at the back of the ranger?

Unfortuantely I don't think we do. If I find more, I'll post 'em.

Andy

Full Bird

I've been a lurker for a while here. Currently working on 4 separate build threads each capable of doing some thing different of the others. I've been a mechanic and fabricater for 20 years, and built dozens of expedition style vehicles. One of those threads being a can am that I plan trips with to see how far I can travel without touching a paved road. I've thoroughly enjoyed this sight until this thread. Now I've come to realize it's no different than pirate 4x4. I'm not going to participate in another sight where I will be ignorantly judged by someone else. I haven't contributed to the sight yet but now I will no longer be viewing it either.
I am in full agreement! I thought this community of Overlanders would be supportive and leave their unkind remarks in their numb skull. Too bad there are people like that in every forum. Shame on them. Do those abusive remarks make them better and feel more superior? I guess so. Karma has a way to deal with that kind. Have fun building and enjoy the great outdoors.

TX03RUBI

Used to post on here a bit under a different name until I somehow forgot all my log in info. I’m about to set up my Can Am Defender Crew 1000 with a RTT, and few other goodies. It won’t be for long term expedition style trips obviously, but comfortable 2-4 day back country camping trips to get to more remote fishing access etc. Picking up my tent this week, and hoping to start on my rack in the coming weeks. I’ve already built a similar setup for my F-350 with a larger CVT Rainier that has been awesome, but that tent is just too large for this project IMO.

gloch

Looking forward to seeing your build. Sounds like a great plan.

Used to post on here a bit under a different name until I somehow forgot all my log in info. I’m about to set up my Can Am Defender Crew 1000 with a RTT, and few other goodies. It won’t be for long term expedition style trips obviously, but comfortable 2-4 day back country camping trips to get to more remote fishing access etc. Picking up my tent this week, and hoping to start on my rack in the coming weeks. I’ve already built a similar setup for my F-350 with a larger CVT Rainier that has been awesome, but that tent is just too large for this project IMO.

ricoisme26

I like the idea of a UTV for camping trips, I don't own a UTV but maybe some day. I've thought of building my camping trailer out or a newer one out to be under 2000lbs and towable with a UTV. I live in PA and UTVs like ATVs are limited to township roads so it makes travel via UTV near impossible unless you live in a rural area full of state forest roads or want to trailer to an area like that. Out west where you could drive for days and not see black top it would become more feasible for a trip. Go to a state where UTVs can be made street legal and you could easily overland in a UTV. Uncertain what the legalities of towing a trailer on the street with a UTV would be though, most recreation focused ones seem to be rated between 1000lbs and 2000lbs not sure how that holds up with the DOT though let alone the handling characteristics of towing and road speeds with a UTV.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
So work has been crazy the last few months, and time to work on things has been very limited. I’ve had a couple weekends here lately to work on things though. I ran out of 1 1/4” tubing, which I was planning to use for the crossbars for the tent rack though. If I can make it by the steel yard this week I’ll grab some more tubing and a bit of angle to complete the tent rack this coming weekend hopefully. Here’s where it’s at for now.

Attachments

• 71B00191-9134-4244-A245-2C792297D9C8.jpeg
    71B00191-9134-4244-A245-2C792297D9C8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 015CF07F-64A5-4D26-9E54-9B574FEFFC3A.jpeg
    015CF07F-64A5-4D26-9E54-9B574FEFFC3A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 1BD4488F-7201-453D-B2EF-2D2D56C38220.jpeg
    1BD4488F-7201-453D-B2EF-2D2D56C38220.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I can fit 2 coolers, 10 gallons of gas, a small 2200 watt generator, a small tool kit, and a single gear tote tote in the bed for now. Considering building a bed extender to add a little bit more cargo space on bottom. In the cargo rack will be stored clothes in dry bags, camp chairs, a spare tent, and lighter weight goods. I’ve got cargo boxes underneath every seat, and have them separated into gear normal gear I carry everywhere. One is emergency supplies such as first aid supplies, a jumper pack, and recovery gear. Another are hand tools and repair gear. Another is TP, baby wipes, rags etc.

I’ve added some S3 HD springs to the vehicle, and it easily supports the weight of the rig loaded down. I’ve had 1200+ lbs of deer corn, a cooler full of beer, and 4 full grown males in it for a weekend at a time bouncing around the ranch without any issues. The way it’s setup now will be considerably lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles