Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UTV Overlanding?

I use mine strictly for hunting and getting around at the ranch. I do believe the overwhelming majority of those who buy them use them for work or to hunt. Yes there is a small segment that utilizes them to play but I would certainly not lump everyone into the group of asshats simply because they own one.

I've been a lurker for a while here. Currently working on 4 separate build threads each capable of doing some thing different of the others. I've been a mechanic and fabricater for 20 years, and built dozens of expedition style vehicles. One of those threads being a can am that I plan trips with to see how far I can travel without touching a paved road. I've thoroughly enjoyed this sight until this thread. Now I've come to realize it's no different than pirate 4x4. I'm not going to participate in another sight where I will be ignorantly judged by someone else. I haven't contributed to the sight yet but now I will no longer be viewing it either.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerTom View Post
    The small one with all the steel bumpers actually checks in at 2.5 tons. The bigger one rolling stock is a shade over 2.5 tons. But either will do 80 mph all day long from coast to coast, drive through pouring rain, scorching heat or freezing cold. They can climb mountains without needing a trailer to go to the next mountain.

They do all that AND can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood home from the hardware store.
    A properly equipped UTV can do all of that too. My new ranger has AC and heat, a 900 with supercharger, and it will tick off 90 mph when pegged. so the only thing you have on me is the 4x8 sheet of plywood....I have no idea why I would want to take one in the back country anyways. Plus, I can go farther when you get blocked by rocks etc....so essentially the UTV can go more places than your expo rig! Just sayin!

I imagine my FJ would be complete if it weren't for my YXZ1000R. A dune/sport machine. I completely disagree with the assumption that UTV riders are nothing but people who aren't talented enough to ride a motorcycle. I've rode MX over half my life, raced, podiumed, etc.
    I bought the YXZ because I believed it to be much more versatile than advertised, and so far, I have been absolutely right. In fact, since buying it 8 months ago, I haven't even fired up one of my MX bikes because the UTV is so much fun.
    Currently, I'm in the process of having a cage custom fabricated to provide safety, and increase storage capacity. My friends and I travel multiple days through the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and Rockies. It's an absolute blast. My YXZ can go about 175 miles on a tank of gas, and can tear down roads as fast as you feel comfortable going. Where my FJ goes 15-25, the Yamaha is going 45, to as fast as you want. They are truly a blast, and I highly recommend going on a tour in one. Just make sure it is a sporty UTV. Taking a tour in a work type UTV, although also fun, is not the same experience in any way shape or form as what you would experience on a Yamaha YXZ, Can-Am X3, CA Maverick, or Polaris RZR/General. The sport machines are night and day more off road capable.

I imagine my FJ would be complete if it weren't for my YXZ1000R. A dune/sport machine. I completely disagree with the assumption that UTV riders are nothing but people who aren't talented enough to ride a motorcycle. I've rode MX over half my life, raced, podiumed, etc.
    I bought the YXZ because I believed it to be much more versatile than advertised, and so far, I have been absolutely right. In fact, since buying it 8 months ago, I haven't even fired up one of my MX bikes because the UTV is so much fun.
    Currently, I'm in the process of having a cage custom fabricated to provide safety, and increase storage capacity. My friends and I travel multiple days through the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and Rockies. It's an absolute blast. My YXZ can go about 175 miles on a tank of gas, and can tear down roads as fast as you feel comfortable going. Where my FJ goes 15-25, the Yamaha is going 45, to as fast as you want. They are truly a blast, and I highly recommend going on a tour in one. Just make sure it is a sporty UTV. Taking a tour in a work type UTV, although also fun, is not the same experience in any way shape or form as what you would experience on a Yamaha YXZ, Can-Am X3, CA Maverick, or Polaris RZR/General. The sport machines are night and day more off road capable.

Every form of off roading has its boneheads. That being said a lot of boneheads seem to be especially fond of UTV's.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234