bored

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Where I work we get the scrap from tire shops all over. Sometimes I go pilfer around in the bins looking for something useful, and surprisingly they throw away good stuff. I got handfuls of spare lug nuts, I find valve stem removers, tread gauges, never need to buy a valve stem cap...

Anyway, I see dozens upon dozens of broken torque sticks in there every time I look. They must go through them like candy, and if used properly, I don't see why one of those shouldn't last unless they are beating the hell out of them.

If you are breaking the torque stick I'm pretty sure you are doing it wrong...

When I was at Les Schwab I picked up about a dozen really nice metal valve stem caps with gaskets that were just lying on the ground.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
If you a breaking the torque stick I'm pretty sure you are doing it wrong...

When I was at Les Schwab I picked up about a dozen really nice metal valve stem caps with gaskets that were just lying on the ground.
Back when I worked in a tire shop we had 5 gallon buckets filled with valve caps and wheel weights. It took 2 people to pick them up. At least we could make lots of weights for fishing from the lead.

dlh62c

Explorer
I've seen the video before and given where the battery box and waste storage tanks are on mine, It wouldn't work so I went at it with a hammer to break up that nice piece of granite, Silver Plume Granite as I recall. I thought about saving it but why? it went over the ditch. It would have been easier and quicker to just take off the outside dual and let the rock drop to the ground.

Patents have been filed on devices to eject rocks.

RockEjector.jpg

unkamonkey

Explorer
I've heard about rock pickers but over my years in a tire shop, I've never seen one installed. If you want to see some strange stuff try to find info on the Hipkins traction device or Olsen Giant Tire Lugs. Basically like putting a Catapiller track on a truck tire or around a set of duals on a rear bogie. Almost like turning a 10x10 into a half track.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles