Small Trailer Revival

viperdriver

Observer
My 220 is actually an RV extension cord that I modified to fit my dryer receptacle. Kind of ghetto, but i have a window in my laundry room that I run it out of and it is long enough to reach my shop (about 50 feet away). I use 110 more than 220 though. It is nice being able to dial up the power when you need it though.... :)

This website is bad for my wallet. At least my tool chest is growing. Ill definitely keep an eye out for a gas capable machine, I could also ghetto rig something from my laundry room to my work area.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
using a small welder for a small trailer build

I went with a 110v welder for the sheer fact that a I do not have access to 220v, I built my entire welder with flux core wire and I have ZERO worries of it falling apart, I've welded long enough to know better.
I put my frame attachment assemblies (frame strengtheners/extension/spring hangers) for mounting a Dexter 3500lb axle (with heavier, longer springs) in place of the old 1.25 square-tube axle of unknown weight rating, together with a 110v Northern Tool 125 flux-core welder. I had bought a Northern Tool 220v stick-welder, but never even plugged it in, when an electrician said I couldn't power it properly with my garages' 40 amp 220v circuit. I needed to do my project immediately, so I bought the 110v machine, to attempt it. I practiced for a while, using this machine, after sporadic, sometimes not good experiences trying my friends 220v Miller mig, at his shop (on my trailer, when he/I welded initial frame mods). When I began the project, I took lots of time on the assemblies, beveling, grinding down, filling, testing, over and over 'til I was satisfied with them. Then I had a very experienced welder inspect them at work. I asked if they were good to go, or if he could improve on them with the big welder in his shop. He said he could find no flaws. Coloration showed good penetration, too. Even so, I used Grade 8 hardware to doubly-attach the hangers to the rail, anyhow! I was surprised that my little welder would go far past its' stated duty cycle, and could really heat the 1/4" steel (I didn't expect that, as the info given said max 3/16").
  1. axle assembly @ full droop.jpg welded frame attachment/spring hanger assembly
  2. 110v.jpg Northern Tool 125 flux-core (110v)
  3. 230v welder.jpg Northern Tool stick-welder (220v)
Anyway, after using my little welder, I haven't used it but for a couple or items since. The assemblies I made for the trailer have worked for many miles, showing no flaws even after a near catastrophic "trailer airborne" event on the road (I inspected it with a magnifying glass, later). I would like to eventually try the 220v welder, and put a trailer together from scratch, but if one is really diligent about the details, and take extra time, a household current welder can build a frame (especially if using 3/16" or thinner steel).

Martyinco

Adventurer
This website is bad for my wallet. At least my tool chest is growing. Ill definitely keep an eye out for a gas capable machine, I could also ghetto rig something from my laundry room to my work area.

If you want a gas capable machine that does not break the bank, look at Eastwood, they make a great little machine, I have one sitting in my garage

SoDakSooner

Adventurer

I am on a jeep forum too. Between the two, I am broke...lol. Luckily I have an understanding wife, or so she says.

I am no expert, but in the end, that Lincoln would work just fine for what you want to do.

87Warrior

GP'er
If it were me, I would be deciding between two extremes:

- Sandblast it all and refinish from scratch, or

- Get rid of the loose rust, spot the rusty areas with Rust-Oleum bare damp metal primer, and roll the entire thing with latex house paint.

Hint: option two would work as well with tons less work.
I don't know, a 20lb Harbor Freight blaster is pretty cheap and Black Diamond media is priced right from many farm supply stores. You can burn through a lot of grinder disks and flap wheels trying to clean old rusty metal, and those add up fast! I've found countless uses for the HF blaster I bought 6 years ago to strip a rusty Jeep Comanche 'frame'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior