Small Trailer Revival

viperdriver

Observer
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. Caught the trailer bug by looking at everyones sweet builds. Randomly found this guy on craigslist in Denver and picked him up for a good deal. The older gentleman I bought it from hasn't towed it in about 10 years, and its been sitting for a while in the elements. I believe he got it from his father in law and its definitely a solid trailer, but has been sitting for a while and it shows. He didnt know a whole lot about it, but he kept it road worthy all these years. Tires are old and need to be replaced but they hold air and it pulls straight and has a clean title.

Plans are up in the air at this point on how I want to proceed with the build, but itll be a learning experience. Ive never welded or worked with metal in this capacity, but I am taking this opportunity to learn! I am taking a few basic welding classes and hope to find somewhere that will allow me to use a welding machine so I can build a frame. End goal is to build out the tub with an enclosed cargo area and then a frame around that to hold a RTT, with some changes and additions to what its already got.

Here it is when I got it home. Ignore the slope, I was parking downhill. As you can see its completely covered in surface rust and the while encloser is actually rotting plywood. The top of the encloser is pretty new though.

PJUwZdR.jpg

btsmTbt.jpg

Starting to strip everything. Will be looking to get same size wheels and tires as my truck. Existing ones are 235/75/15 but am looking to get some first gen Tundra wheels and 265/75/16 Dynapro ATM's so match and have spares for everything.

pbRgmZg.jpg

5QNjEHP.jpg

Hubs need some work and overall I need to get some of this surface rust taken care of.

wlq6LME.jpg

yWMjl6Z.jpg

7pvUG9K.jpg

Started to wire wheel some of the rust away. It has surface rust and about 3 layers of red paint below it, so needless to say this one fender took me about an hour. I think ill probably just hit anything that is bubbling or peeling and smooth it out. Then I plan on doing Rustoleum flat black primer and then their truck bed coating spray the whole thing. Ill probably figure out how to build out the frame for the tent and the encloser before I do any painting so that I dont have to redo anything welded on.

y1kSxXK.jpg

Ill be looking at redoing the wiring because right now its just open wires zip tied to the frame, but probably keep it simple and just use some conduit for them. I will also be adding some sort of stabilizers to the rear and possibly looking into shocks since right now its just straight leaf springs. Any ideas on how to set up shocks on this sort of axle and frame? Again, never attempted anything like this so its going to be a new experience for me. Thanks for looking!

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
I agree, cool little trailer. Looks well built. Rat-Trailers....good idea!!!

Just jump in on a welder if you can swing it. I am in your boat from an ability perspective. I sold a few jeep things I had laying around and picked up a Hobart 210 mvp. Some decent deals to be found online and several places really have them at a good price. with the gas bottle and welder, I am in for well under a grand. I wanted to be able to jump up to thicker stuff, but if you just want to mig and flux core weld, you can get in pretty cheap with a little 110, and don't have to worry about the bottle right away. I had a friend do some welding on my jeep on the 110 volt setting. He is a professional welder. Told me he thought that the welder was really hot for a 110.

You can kind of see the welder in the attached pic. (really need to finish up the cart....!!)

Have fun with it! Looks like a fun project.

Attachments

• trailer8.jpg
    trailer8.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 19

viperdriver

Observer
I agree, cool little trailer. Looks well built. Rat-Trailers....good idea!!!

Just jump in on a welder if you can swing it. I am in your boat from an ability perspective. I sold a few jeep things I had laying around and picked up a Hobart 210 mvp. Some decent deals to be found online and several places really have them at a good price. with the gas bottle and welder, I am in for well under a grand. I wanted to be able to jump up to thicker stuff, but if you just want to mig and flux core weld, you can get in pretty cheap with a little 110, and don't have to worry about the bottle right away. I had a friend do some welding on my jeep on the 110 volt setting. He is a professional welder. Told me he thought that the welder was really hot for a 110.

You can kind of see the welder in the attached pic. (really need to finish up the cart....!!)

Have fun with it! Looks like a fun project.

I took a few 2 hour beginner welding classes just to do some basic welds and get a feel for it. So im in agreement that I should just jump in and go from there. I've always got my eyes open on CL so ill add welders to my list of daily searches. I dont see myself doing a lot of the thicker stuff so I might just start with a Lincoln 125 flux core or something similar. I can usually find those around $400 and I dont see myself needing anything bigger for atleast the near future. Your cart is looking good!

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Thanks...Cart is my first project. Really rough. Just letting it rust. Eventually clear it. Kind of a rat cart.....😉

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

M35A2

Tinkerer
If it were me, I would be deciding between two extremes:

- Sandblast it all and refinish from scratch, or

- Get rid of the loose rust, spot the rusty areas with Rust-Oleum bare damp metal primer, and roll the entire thing with latex house paint.

Hint: option two would work as well with tons less work.

JKChad

Observer
I'm about to start the recon on my little 4x6.5 this weekend. It's got some surface rust underneath, but everywhere else is just old paint and what not. Good luck with your build. I'll be posting up a build thread with my soon.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Looks like you have a great base to work with Matt :D I'll be following along with the build to see how she ends up for you :)

viperdriver

Observer
Looks like you have a great base to work with Matt :D I'll be following along with the build to see how she ends up for you :)

Im looking at picking up a lincoln 125 flux core welder since it would be good to have one for fun stuff. Do you think this is sufficient in welding a frame for the rtt?

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Power wise with flux core, you would be ok. Might look used or save up and get something that is gas capable. You might want it eventually. It would do the trick though.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Im looking at picking up a lincoln 125 flux core welder since it would be good to have one for fun stuff. Do you think this is sufficient in welding a frame for the rtt?

I went with a 110v welder for the sheer fact that a I do not have access to 220v, I built my entire welder with flux core wire and I have ZERO worries of it falling apart, I've welded long enough to know better.

viperdriver

Observer
Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill keep an eye out for something, but like Marty, I dont have access to a 220v at the house, so 110v is going to be my look out point.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
My 220 is actually an RV extension cord that I modified to fit my dryer receptacle. Kind of ghetto, but i have a window in my laundry room that I run it out of and it is long enough to reach my shop (about 50 feet away). I use 110 more than 220 though. It is nice being able to dial up the power when you need it though.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94