Denver Outfitters - OverRoam RTT

Roger M.

Adventurer
You'd have to contact Denver Outfitters to find out for sure, but outside of the Bundutec, Autohome Maggiolina , and James Baroud style of brand name tents (there are others as well) ... it's highly likely that most roof top tents available today are a re-badged Chinese tent.

Nothing particularly wrong with that (I own a CVT, made in China, holding up reasonably well), but probably worth spending a bit of time thinking about your long term aims as they relate to reliability and weatherproofing.

When I purchase another roof top tent, and knowing what I know now as a CVT owner, I'd likely only purchase a South African or Australian brand, made by hand in those countries, and made by tent companies with a clear and solid track record.
As the owner of a CVT (which I do enjoy using), I now realize that there are very important quality and workmanship differences between the Chinese tents and those tents made in countries where Overlanding is taken far more seriously. Those differences have a profound effect on the long term viability of your rooftop tent purchase.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Generally speaking, it's a workmanship and design issue.

Screws rusting because they're not stainless steel, design elements that simply don't work as they should (presumably because they reuse previous technology and design without detailed testing), models that show up for sale one year, and disappear entirely the next year (limiting repairs and spare parts), crooked sewing on seams that get very close to the edge of the seam tape, or miss the seam tape entirely, easily jammed (cheap) zippers, zippers that don't (and can't) match up smoothly such that you don't get ulcers and a full body workout every time you use them ... I'll stop there.

I enjoy using my CVT (even though my model disappeared after what seemed like only a year) and will continue to use it until it wears out. It serves me well, and I'd take it anywhere.
It's important to note too that the buyer pays anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the price for one of these Asian made tents when compared to an Australian or South African tent ... so it's also fair to say that a guys expectations should also be adjusted accordingly.

Perhaps most important to note in this type of discussion is that my CVT doesn't leak at all, and stands solid in heavy winds ... so it's really a matter of rusting screws and design elements that don't work as they should - and how much that might bother you when the CVT's lower price is taken into account.

BUT ... my first CVT rooftop tent purchase will also be my last CVT rooftop tent purchase, as my next rooftop tent will be a Howling Moon or Eezi-Awn, for which I'll gladly pay the premium - and adjust my expectations upwards accordingly.

Last edited:
I spoke with Denver Outfitters, (they've got a live chat option on their site that is awesome) and the tent is made in China. Their website does state that they designed certain aspects to their own specs such as replacing plastic with stainless steel, the roof bars, etc.. I used to believe "comes from the same factory, must be same quality." But when contracted, the company commissioning the work can, and often do, set their own requirements. This tent looks very interesting. I hope some real world reviews are made of it soon. More tents on the market is only a good thing to us consumers... Lets hope this ones a good one.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I suspect that there are more than a few examples of a Chinese made tent that maintains a level of quality control and design intelligence.

But realistically, you have to examine the labour pool and quality control aspects in detail in order to be realistic about what to expect, and wonder if any of the Chinese tent makers maintain the levels maintained by Apple (iPhones coming from China as they do).

I believe that a few guys in a small South African or Australian shop, who pride themselves on the quality of their roof top tents, and who are out to maintain their reputation as "the best" roof top tents in the world, those guys will probably exercise quality control and design integrity at the highest levels, and do so 100% of the time.

My CVT is an example of a roof top tent that, while certainly worth the $2000.00 I paid for it, obviously wasn't built by folks who had any particular interest in maintaining the reputation of what is, after all, a completely generic tent until the "CVT" logo is stenciled onto it.
But my CVT probably has another decade of life in it, and I plan on using it until it's worn out ... so I certainly wouldn't discourage anybody from purchasing a CVT tent ... or one from Denver Outfitters.

Just remember that you're buying a Chinese tent, and adjust quality control and design expectations accordingly.

rnArmy

Adventurer
It (Denver tent) is only about $500 cheaper than the small Auto Home Maggiolina Extreme RTT; but that's in white (add another $400 if you want the Maggiolina in black like the Denver tent comes-in). The size of the Denver tent is essentially the same size as the Maggiolina small-sized RTTs.

http://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tents/maggiolina-extreme/

https://denveroutfitters.com/product/overroam-roof-top-tent/

I didn't go into the details of what comes standard on each vs. what is a separately priced option to compare apples to apples.

Not trying to start a big debate; I just find this all interesting comparing the options out there (and this one seems to be the new-kid on the block). The Maggiolina tents are the only other ones I know of (other than this Denver tent) that uses a hand-crank to raise the tent lid (according to the Denver website, their tents will have the option of gas struts or a hand-crank - I would prefer the hand-crank).

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
You'd have to contact Denver Outfitters to find out for sure, but outside of the Bundutec, Autohome Maggiolina , and James Baroud style of brand name tents (there are others as well) ... it's highly likely that most roof top tents available today are a re-badged Chinese tent.

Nothing particularly wrong with that (I own a CVT, made in China, holding up reasonably well), but probably worth spending a bit of time thinking about your long term aims as they relate to reliability and weatherproofing.

When I purchase another roof top tent, and knowing what I know now as a CVT owner, I'd likely only purchase a South African or Australian brand, made by hand in those countries, and made by tent companies with a clear and solid track record.
As the owner of a CVT (which I do enjoy using), I now realize that there are very important quality and workmanship differences between the Chinese tents and those tents made in countries where Overlanding is taken far more seriously. Those differences have a profound effect on the long term viability of your rooftop tent purchase.
Great points! One has to wonder how many people in Chinese factories are camping in a roof top tents. South African and Australian companies are passionate about their quality.

I really thought the Denver Outfitter Tents were made in the US! Glad someone here did the home work.

Rusting screws? I have been back packing for 40 years and never once seen a rusty screw on any of my back packing equipment. Car camping equipment is another story. Most if not all of my Coleman camping stoves have rust.

I think the small Auto Home Maggiolina Extreme RTT for $500 is probably a better value for long term use. Auto Home has history.

I would buy an American RTT in a hear beat if everything were made stateside by people who use the tents.

Wilbah

Adventurer
It looks interesting and may well have the higher quality they claim but when I see typos on the website (text) I always wonder just how quality concious someone is. I know it's a minor point buy it's also the easiest thing to get right. Just my $0.02. The tent looks good, but I have no frame of reference vs it's competition.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Do you mean "quality conscious" (you forgot the "s" in conscious)? And "vs" usually has a period after it ("vs."). I think you meant to say "a minor point but" (not "buy"). And I can never keep "its" vs. "it's" straight without thinking about it first, but I think you got it right on the first two "it's", but should be "its" ("its competition" - the possessive of "it") at the end of your statement. "It's" is short for "it is" or "it has"; "its" is the possessive form of "it" (backwards of how you normally think ['s] would be).

I'm just picking on you (sorry); if you're going to critique another person's text, your own text should be error free. And I'm not the best with quotation mark usage and punctuation (so someone might gig me).

I'm curious to see how this Denver RTT plays out. I think it looks nice personally.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Dude, if someone is going to mention typos on someone's dealer website, then their post pointing it out should be typo and error free.

He states (referring to the text typos from the Denver website) "it's also the easiest thing to get right", but his own short post is filled with typos and errors. Do you not get the irony here? Glass houses?

Or as we used to say when we were kids: "He started it".

I too sometimes cringe when I see typos on what should be a professionally done website - makes me wonder about their attention to detail. I read through the Denver website before all this and no typos jumped out at me (not saying there aren't any - but I wasn't looking for them either).

And not trying to pick on Wilbah (I was born in Brockton); I fat-finger stuff and make typos all the time too (thank God for spell-check).

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Do you mean "quality conscious" (you forgot the "s" in conscious)? And "vs" usually has a period after it ("vs."). I think you meant to say "a minor point but" (not "buy"). And I can never keep "its" vs. "it's" straight without thinking about it first, but I think you got it right on the first two "it's", but should be "its" ("its competition" - the possessive of "it") at the end of your statement. "It's" is short for "it is" or "it has"; "its" is the possessive form of "it" (backwards of how you normally think ['s] would be).

I'm just picking on you (sorry); if you're going to critique another person's text, your own text should be error free. And I'm not the best with quotation mark usage and punctuation (so someone might gig me).

I'm curious to see how this Denver RTT plays out. I think it looks nice personally.

And if I were trying to sell you something I would give a *bleep* what you think about a forum response typed out on a phone. But I'm not.....so I don't. But thanks for playing. The question was about a retailer and the quality that they claim to have. I commented that I thought they should have their text correct in the website an I stand by that comment. I am so glad you have never had a typo in a forum post. You get the blue ribbon.

rnArmy

Adventurer
You're welcome.

I totally agree with you - a website should be text and grammar perfect. It is a reflection of their attention to detail and professed level of quality they insist upon. Get a high-school English teacher to give it a final once-over before making it public.

I've caught multiple typos in my various posts after the fact (and there are probably some still out there) - so no blue ribbons here.

But if I were going to comment on someone else's typos, I would make sure my posted comment on that subject was letter perfect - that's all I'm saying.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I get it....and believe me I proofread most of mine multiple times because I tend to be a little anal about them. Unfortunately my phone doesn't spell check the way my laptop does (so I missed "conscious") and I missed the apostrophe on "it's". But again, when it's a business website and they are professing the strong quality of the product any typo is jarring. :)

How's the home of Rocky Marciano? Played BB against Cardinal Spellman there when I was in HS. Their pitcher hit a home run off me that I think is still frigging rolling. haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles