Thoughts on this set up?

bigskypylot

Explorer
So, I'm chatting with some dude with an Xterra that got a crazy idea to drill holes in his hood and mount a solar panel on it. Cool idea but I couldn't take the plunge to drill in my hood lol. I had seen a Landcruiser with an RTT that had theirs mounted like an air dam on a semi. Well, I got talking to,said crazy guy and he found the photos of said Landcruiser on Ronny Dahl's Instagram. Said crazy dude wants to do the same with another panel to supplement the one on his hood. We both have RTTS and it looks like a cool setup. Just need to figure out a way to mount to the Xterra now. Any thoughts or suggestions? I sent Ronny a msg asking about it so hopefully will hear back.

Screenshot_20170216-123449.jpg

20170216_125419.jpg

FB_IMG_1484803294117.jpg

FB_IMG_1484803297492.jpg

Perhaps I could make a mounting bracket to clamp around the rails on each side (now that i dont have the lid on the wetbox any longer) for the main supports and be able to tilt the angle of it to some degree?

FB_IMG_1487269752377.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
I would be more concerned with how fragile the glass could be... what are you running off of your panels?

Happykamper

Explorer
What about rocks flying up from behind other rigs on trail or even on highway ??? It just kind of looks like a target as a wind damn ??? Probably does not matter either ? It's a cool looking idea ! I think I'll watch this thread as if rocks aren't an issue it could be a great idea for both extra power and an air damn for brick like rigs !! Please keep this thread posted on your progress :).

bigskypylot

Explorer
What about rocks flying up from behind other rigs on trail or even on highway ??? It just kind of looks like a target as a wind damn ??? Probably does not matter either ? It's a cool looking idea ! I think I'll watch this thread as if rocks aren't an issue it could be a great idea for both extra power and an air damn for brick like rigs !! Please keep this thread posted on your progress :).

I can count on 2 fingers the time I got hit by Rocks. One put a tiny digit in my windshield. Yeah, I'm not concerned as I mentioned, it will have the ability to tilt to some degree. It won't be vertical.

bigskypylot

Explorer

I'll definitely keep you posted :)

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'm also thinking that maybe something like this could be mounted towards the bottom of the panel. Brackets on the sides of the panel to position it to take any possible hit from debris?

a8u4y4ab.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You can look at photos and think about it all day, but you won't know crap until you get out there with a tape measure and figure it out. Always looks one way in your head and another way when you see what you have to work with. Get you some cardboard and go mock it up.

bigskypylot

Explorer
You can look at photos and think about it all day, but you won't know crap until you get out there with a tape measure and figure it out. Always looks one way in your head and another way when you see what you have to work with. Get you some cardboard and go mock it up.

That's the intention. Just trying to get ideas

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My thought on solar panels permanently mounted is that if you're doing it to run a fridge it's partially self defeating, isn't it?
IOW, the permanent mount means you need to park your truck in the sun - which heats up the interior and makes the fridge work harder, drawing more power that a 100w solar panel is going to have a tough time keeping up with. Depending on how hot/sunny it is, parking your vehicle facing South (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere) in a hot area could cause the fridge to draw more power than the panel can put back into the battery.
I can understand "hard mounting" a solar panel to transport it, but it seems to me it would make more sense to keep the panel detachable on a 50' or so cable, that way you can park the truck in the shade and set the panel in the sun. It would also allow you to move the panel around for maximum sun exposure throughout the day vs. having to move your vehicle. ;)

bigskypylot

Explorer
My thought on solar panels permanently mounted is that if you're doing it to run a fridge it's partially self defeating, isn't it?
IOW, the permanent mount means you need to park your truck in the sun - which heats up the interior and makes the fridge work harder, drawing more power that a 100w solar panel is going to have a tough time keeping up with. Depending on how hot/sunny it is, parking your vehicle facing South (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere) in a hot area could cause the fridge to draw more power than the panel can put back into the battery.
I can understand "hard mounting" a solar panel to transport it, but it seems to me it would make more sense to keep the panel detachable on a 50' or so cable, that way you can park the truck in the shade and set the panel in the sun. It would also allow you to move the panel around for maximum sun exposure throughout the day vs. having to move your vehicle. ;)

It would have an option to be removed. I also have a 100W solar briefcase just for that fact. Will be looking at the Eclipse 200W briefcase they are rolling out

Coachgeo

Explorer
space under panel on hood will cause air to want to be yanking the hood up all the time IMHO. You will have to reinforce and or add more hood hold downs. As to parking in sun.. yeah that can be an issue. But who says a permanent panel cant be tilted when parked. add some hinges, levers, arms or how ever you want.. to allow it to tilt along with ways to lock it down in travel. IMHO..... what we need in this world of ours is awneings. made of solar panels.

oh... and bunjee or ratched strap a panel on the hood for testing also. ESPECIALLY on a bright sunny day to see how much and when the reflection is going to be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles