Thoughts on this set up?

bigskypylot

Explorer
So, I'm chatting with some dude with an Xterra that got a crazy idea to drill holes in his hood and mount a solar panel on it. Cool idea but I couldn't take the plunge to drill in my hood lol. I had seen a Landcruiser with an RTT that had theirs mounted like an air dam on a semi. Well, I got talking to,said crazy guy and he found the photos of said Landcruiser on Ronny Dahl's Instagram. Said crazy dude wants to do the same with another panel to supplement the one on his hood. We both have RTTS and it looks like a cool setup. Just need to figure out a way to mount to the Xterra now. Any thoughts or suggestions? I sent Ronny a msg asking about it so hopefully will hear back.

View attachment 386889

View attachment 386890

View attachment 386891

View attachment 386894

Perhaps I could make a mounting bracket to clamp around the rails on each side (now that i dont have the lid on the wetbox any longer) for the main supports and be able to tilt the angle of it to some degree?

View attachment 386895

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
LED lightbars being as popular as they are and mounted to the A-pillar as often as they are, I'd look into the possibility of using an A-pillar LED lightbar bracket for solar panel mounting.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I have that exact solar panel tilting system and it's very nice quality with good Hardware, don't hesitate to buy if you think it will work for your purpose. Be sure to use anti seize on all the hardware and somehow make sure Wingnuts don't back out... Don't ask me how I know. LOL

bigskypylot

Explorer
I have that exact solar panel tilting system and it's very nice quality with good Hardware, don't hesitate to buy if you think it will work for your purpose. Be sure to use anti seize on all the hardware and somehow make sure Wingnuts don't back out... Don't ask me how I know. LOL

HaHa. Someone has to learn for all of us :) good to know about that unit. I'm thinking it will serve my purpose well. What panel do you have it mounted to? I'm looking at the Renogy 100W monocrystaline panel. They have the new Eclipse model out which looks nice.

Dimensions of the Eclipse: 40.8 x 20.7 x 1.4 inches @15#

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I have the renogy panels but it's not mounted to just one, my panels are mounted on aluminum channel then the tilting thingy.
24zlsg5.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have the renogy panels but it's not mounted to just one, my panels are mounted on aluminum channel then the tilting thingy.
24zlsg5.jpg

Is that reversible? The brackets can be re-assembled to tilt to the opposite side?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Yes it can be left or right very easily if you use the supplied Wingnuts. I opted to use locking nuts and bolts to prevent them backing out in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles