4 cylinder Tacoma + FWC?

I have a great 2000 Tacoma with the 3rz motor. Truck is in excellent shape and I wouldn't hesitate to drive in across the country tomorrow. Currently set up with canopy and sleeping platform is does pretty decently on uphills but still lacks the power a v6 tacoma has.

I have an option to buy an early 90s FWC that fits and is in good shape for 1500 buckaroos. Will the little 4 banger be able to haul this thing? What about with moderate upgrades like header + exhaust? Really want this camper and yes money is obviously an issue.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I have the more "modern" variable something or other motor but I hauled around a FWC no problem. I was in 4th gear going uphill 65/70 on the highway but I could stay in 5th the rest of the time. You may also have 4.30 gears, which will help. I have 4.10's.

Keep the truck, get the camper and enjoy the scenery.

Cheers,
Jorge

DVexile

Adventurer
Worst that will happen is you go slow up grades. You are on the grade for 10 to 15 minutes and you are enjoying your truck and camper for days and days. I'd skip engine mods to chase a few more HP. Often they don't yield much and start stressing components that were previously happy.

I drove a '92 4 cyl 22RE with too much camping gear in the back for a long time. Just got used to going up mountains at 50-55 in 3rd gear. The 1st gen Tacoma 4 cyl is a lot more peppy than the 22RE.

Really the thing to watch out for is just how much weight a FWC puts on the chassis and suspension especially when going off road. All that mass with wear things out and break them sooner. So adjust your driving appropriately. Rather than throwing money at the engine you might end up wanting to upgrade your leaf springs.

subterran

Adventurer
+1 on "yes it will do it", and also +4 on "spend the money on upgrading the suspension".

I run a similar configuration, and I can add - drive with it quiet (no radio, etc) often, and listen for bearing noise. Especially if you have lots of miles on your truck. The extra weight can cause failure of the rear axle bearings. It sounds like a rumble, and does not go away if you coast in neutral. If you aren't sure, no worries, it will get louder and louder until you're certain. My rig has 230K on it, and I had to do the rear bearings at about 210k. The extra weight did contribute to that I 'm sure, but who am I to complain after 60k miles with the camper? Most other trucks would be completely toast by 200K without the camper.

Enjoy your camper!

pthomas

I'm currently doing it! I have a diy hardside that probably weights in around 750-850 loaded up with two people driving around the country. I have OME shocks and leafs in the back with timbrens sitting against Wheelers SuperBumpstop bases. Adds ~2.25" of height above the leaf pack. Been rallying on washboard for the past few weeks and love the ride. If you're upgrading from stock, I'd look at getting a custom leafpack if you're going to have the camper on 24/7.

Like others have said, you enjoy the scenery on the way up grade, but can still cruise at 65/70. Fully loaded going through mostly mountainous terrain, lowest mpg I have recorded is 18. Highway I'm at about 19.5 with a big box on top and a solar panel.

I would recommend some sort of wind deflection to go on top of your hood to make up the gap (or build some flashing down from the camper, few examples around on here).

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Need you ask....it's a Toyota. Things are bulletproof. I'm currently in an 09 but have had the older four banger in the past. I couldn't kill it and finally sold it with 310K on it. Was still strong when I sold it. Love the Toyota.

Lost%20Coast%20Fort%20Stevens%20%283%20of%203%29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier