WISA board - for roof deck

DiscoDavis

Explorer
First reaction: Wait what... that stuff is made like 150 km from where I live, and I didn't even know it existed.

Second reaction (after looking at their website): Oh, that's actually exactly what I have on my roof rack.

You lucky son of a gun! :)

I still have not heard back from their USA distributor.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Revive for this thread. Still need a deck for the 110. Anyone EU know of a supplier that can supply pre-cut sheets of this stuff?

I know Rovers North has gotten the same material but it's sized for the Safety Devices rack that is slightly skinnier than the brownchurch. Appreciate any leads.

Connor,

Do you have any experience with fiberglass? If so, here is my suggestion and a trade we use here in hawaii for marine grade. Buy the 1/2 marine grade plywood and cut and drill to your specs. Then rough grain sand it and layer fiberglass fine weave over it in two layers with the resin. Sand the edges and ream your holes when dry......you're done and have the same exact look and function for a much cheaper price.

If you are feeling saucy, on the last layer, sprinkle sand over the top-coat for permanent non-skid. 100% water tight, durable, and will outlast your grandchildren!

Or, Starboard in brown with the deck skid on it as suggested before. They have a million colors now! Will look very close and most starboard dealers will water-jet your specific cut. Again, not cheap but life-long solution.

Mako1114

Adventurer
The problem with starboard (HDPE), besides being very costly, is the weight of it which is 2x heavier than plywood.

Cheers

The problem with starboard (HDPE), besides being very costly, is the weight of it which is 2x heavier than plywood.

Cheers

Very true on the weight. When I build my platform I plan to drill lightening holes to try and reduce some of the bulk.

I was looking at aluminum laminated panels with honeycomb and it just wasn't durable enough to really walk on long term.

I also searched around to see if I could find who makes the base sleeping floor for the ARB tents. It's super durable and light but I can't seem to find out who or what type of composite it's from. Appears to be a fiberglass or poly sandwiched board which I think would be great for roof rack flooring.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Connor,

Do you have any experience with fiberglass? If so, here is my suggestion and a trade we use here in hawaii for marine grade. Buy the 1/2 marine grade plywood and cut and drill to your specs. Then rough grain sand it and layer fiberglass fine weave over it in two layers with the resin. Sand the edges and ream your holes when dry......you're done and have the same exact look and function for a much cheaper price.

If you are feeling saucy, on the last layer, sprinkle sand over the top-coat for permanent non-skid. 100% water tight, durable, and will outlast your grandchildren!

Or, Starboard in brown with the deck skid on it as suggested before. They have a million colors now! Will look very close and most starboard dealers will water-jet your specific cut. Again, not cheap but life-long solution.

I have admittedly very little experience, but in this case I want the roof to be "camel spec", and in addition this WISA stuff I've never seen anything like it, now I know it exists I cannot stop until I locate some, even if I have to get some cut by marc and then container it over here! That and the weight of this starboard stuff would be just too much

in-parking-area.html

Cheers

This ^ :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94