265/75/16 vs 235/85/16 question

Badback12

They're practically the same height. However the 265 is about 1 inch wider. Would I even notice a difference?

Which size should I put on my van. Then number one thing I need now is comfort. Unless I'm talked out of them my plan is to go with BFG All Terrain T/A KO2. This vehicle will spend most of its time on pavement. However it will see some trails once in a while. That's the reason for the A/T tire.

2013 E150 XLT Premium 5.4 7 passenger
WeldTec Designs 4 inch lift

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 42

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
There's about 400 lbs difference in their load capacities, 265 being higher and the 265 weighs 5 lbs more per tire. So long as the 3,042 lbs per tire rating is sufficient for your needs, I'd go with the 235 for better mileage due to lower rolling resistance (narrower tread = less tread to flex) and lighter weight. I also suspect handling would be improved with less tire bulge per psi and the more vertical sidewalls should permit a more compliant ride as well. Also, if you stick with the OE 16 x 7 wheels, the 235 will wear better. 7" is the minimum width for the 265 whereas it's right in the middle for the 235. The tire width difference you've referenced was likely not corrected for measured rim width and will be exaggerated in reality if that's the case.

86cj

Explorer
They're practically the same height. However the 265 is about 1 inch wider. Would I even notice a difference?

Which size should I put on my van. Then number one thing I need now is comfort. Unless I'm talked out of them my plan is to go with BFG All Terrain T/A KO2. This vehicle will spend most of its time on pavement. However it will see some trails once in a while. That's the reason for the A/T tire.

2013 E150 XLT Premium 5.4 7 passenger
WeldTec Designs 4 inch lift

I don't care for the steering feel or street handling of the 235-85-16, life has been alot better since we moved on to other sizes that can carry a good load. When pay phones were popular is was a common size, and it quit coming stock on 3/4 tons around the time car phones came out. I had a good set of steel carcass tires that handled good but rode terrible. 265's came out on 1988 Z-71's but did not carry a good load until Ford had them beefed up for the Super Duty in the late 90's. The 235-85 likes alot of air to keep it from rolling under the rim on a heavy vehicle affecting ride quality. They do make great snow tires though, but who corners at todays normal speeds when its snowing...

A 7" rim is on the small side for a 265 but is very commonly done...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I don't care for the steering feel or street handling of the 235-85-16, life has been alot better since we moved on to other sizes that can carry a good load. When pay phones were popular is was a common size, and it quit coming stock on 3/4 tons around the time car phones came out. I had a good set of steel carcass tires that handled good but rode terrible. 265's came out on 1988 Z-71's but did not carry a good load until Ford had them beefed up for the Super Duty in the late 90's. The 235-85 likes alot of air to keep it from rolling under the rim on a heavy vehicle affecting ride quality. They do make great snow tires though, but who corners at todays normal speeds when its snowing...

A 7" rim is on the small side for a 265 but is very commonly done...

Just gotta laugh sometimes. Your phone references are golden comedy material. Car phones were first available stateside in the 1940s btw.

My 2002 Ford F350 DRW came with 235/85-16, long after portable cellular devices became mainstream. The Cooper Discoverer HT3 I run on the front of it handle and ride VERY well and wear as though they were designed for the TIB front suspension. I think putting load E tires on too light of a vehicle will cause either the "rolling under the rim" you described due to under-inflation to preserve ride quality or a rough ridge due to proper inflation but a poor match between tire and application. A wider tire, like the 265 vs 235, would mitigate these tendencies, especially if fitted to a narrower than ideal rim, because the bulged sidewall would be more compliant and the mishapen contact patch would change direction more readily. Same scenario as the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco of the mid-90s (aka when car phones were first widely popular): fitting an overly large, excessively load-capable tire to a light vehicle expecting a compliant ride and compensating by sacrificially decreasing inflation pressure.

I got no problem with anybody running a 265 or any other width tire they want, I just gave my opinion as to what I would do. I didn't include treadwear considerations but if the OP is staying 2wd, it's a major consideration on Ford frontends and I've always had better luck running narrower than wider in that department with LOTS of Ford TIB and TTB experience. I run 225/75-16 on my E150, which originally came with 235/75-15. I changed rim diameters due to the VERY poor availability of XL tires in 15". I consulted the inflation load table for my tires and I think my OE spec was like 32 or 34 and now it's about 50. Yes, that's a higher pressure and thanks to the larger wheel and same height tire, it's a considerably smaller volume of air at that higher pressure but no, they don't ride like bowling balls. How can this be? The van weighs the same and the tires have the same load capacity despite the pressure difference so it rides about like stock, but handles better with shorter sidewalls and less body lean. I kept my 15" wheels and run them in the winter with winter tires in the OE size so my impression of the driving differences is not a distant memory.

Hope everyone does what they want and gets what they need. Cheers!

86cj

Explorer
Just gotta laugh sometimes. Your phone references are golden comedy material. Car phones were first available stateside in the 1940s btw.

My 2002 Ford F350 DRW came with 235/85-16, long after portable cellular devices became mainstream. The Cooper Discoverer HT3 I run on the front of it handle and ride VERY well and wear as though they were designed for the TIB front suspension. I think putting load E tires on too light of a vehicle will cause either the "rolling under the rim" you described due to under-inflation to preserve ride quality or a rough ridge due to proper inflation but a poor match between tire and application. A wider tire, like the 265 vs 235, would mitigate these tendencies, especially if fitted to a narrower than ideal rim, because the bulged sidewall would be more compliant and the mishapen contact patch would change direction more readily. Same scenario as the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco of the mid-90s (aka when car phones were first widely popular): fitting an overly large, excessively load-capable tire to a light vehicle expecting a compliant ride and compensating by sacrificially decreasing inflation pressure.

I got no problem with anybody running a 265 or any other width tire they want, I just gave my opinion as to what I would do. I didn't include treadwear considerations but if the OP is staying 2wd, it's a major consideration on Ford frontends and I've always had better luck running narrower than wider in that department with LOTS of Ford TIB and TTB experience. I run 225/75-16 on my E150, which originally came with 235/75-15. I changed rim diameters due to the VERY poor availability of XL tires in 15". I consulted the inflation load table for my tires and I think my OE spec was like 32 or 34 and now it's about 50. Yes, that's a higher pressure and thanks to the larger wheel and same height tire, it's a considerably smaller volume of air at that higher pressure but no, they don't ride like bowling balls. How can this be? The van weighs the same and the tires have the same load capacity despite the pressure difference so it rides about like stock, but handles better with shorter sidewalls and less body lean. I kept my 15" wheels and run them in the winter with winter tires in the OE size so my impression of the driving differences is not a distant memory.

Hope everyone does what they want and gets what they need. Cheers!

I do love your input on here, when motivated you can get into the weeds better than me! Alot of people want a simple answer and the talent on here does provoke critical thinking. We have just done most of these things and dont need to research what we have done so many times before. We have had about 4' of snow and ice in the last 10 days so I am a little bored, and I think it is showing..

Badback12

I would keep the same size tire and just change the brand if that would be the best solution. Then I don't have to deal with the speedo being incorrect.

I'm looking for comfort this time.

I'm recovering from several surgeries. Any jarring moment puts me on the ceiling. I'm like a person with Turrets every time we get in the car. I drove the van for the first time in over a year yesterday. The lift is incredible. It's rides better than my Lexus. New tires will Be the icing on the cake.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I'd get the 265/75 for the reasons you just mentioned. E rated when aired down correctly, not riding on what the tire shops think, should feel very good.

Badback12

I'd get the 265/75 for the reasons you just mentioned. E rated when aired down correctly, not riding on what the tire shops think, should feel very good.

What would your suggestion be for a good air pressure to run? I do plan on experimenting. You certainly just went through all kinds experiments with tires on your van.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Ha Ha yes I did. Turns out I have a hub issue that the tires were really just bringing out so I plan to swap those out as soon as the parts get here.

The tire pressure is dependent upon the weight of your vehicle. So ideally you would want to weigh your van front and rear and then set the tire pressure to the psi recommended. For BFG KO2 265/75/16 your max load (single) is 3,415lbs @ 80psi. I'm just assuming that the rear of your van will be ballpark 3500 lbs. so according to that you could run as low as 40ps and some people do. I would probably set the front at 55 and the rear at 50 if you don't have a lot in the back and then adjust it from there. But again it would depend on the weight of your van. Whatever you do don't drive around with them at 65 front and 80 in the back. You'll hate it.

DAV!D

Adventurer
I have a question on this subject if the OP doesn't mind..

Will 265/75/16 AT tires fit on a standard E250 van? My van has the 1ton front rotors and seems to sit as high as an e350. I'm curious if at stock height with out a lift if that tire size would fit and have no rubbing issues.

Badback12

I have a question on this subject if the OP doesn't mind..

Will 265/75/16 AT tires fit on a standard E250 van? My van has the 1ton front rotors and seems to sit as high as an e350. I'm curious if at stock height with out a lift if that tire size would fit and have no rubbing issues.

I don't mind at all. For the record I went with 235/85/16.

To answer your question I don't think they would. 245/75/16 max without cutting.

Attachments

• IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 44

Jsweezy

Explorer
As long as the E350 van springs aren't sagging 265/75/16s will fit. They almost barely rub the front bumper but I know two people so far that have put them on their stock vans and have no complaints.

Edit - I just saw you had an E250. I am not sure if they would fit but if you got some e350 front springs and swapped them out it might work.

caideN

OP, your van look a lot nicer with just AT tires. I am so tempted to get the 265/75/16 BFG KO2 for my stock height 07 E350 with the same wheels as you.

I have a V10 so losing 1-2 mpg is losing 10-20% fuel efficiency and that hurts.

Anyone here with stock height van w/ 265/75/16 tires? How's mpg and any real rubbing issue?

Badback12

OP, your van look a lot nicer with just AT tires. I am so tempted to get the 265/75/16 BFG KO2 for my stock height 07 E350 with the same wheels as you.

Thank you! I was really torn between the two sizes. Placing the two sizes side by side, I almost changed my mind at the last minute. The 265 I believe would have looked better on the vehicle. However, remembering the handling characteristics of prior vehicles I've owned with wider tires I chose the narrower 235. Physically I'm in really bad shape. I'm fighting through serious nerve damage in my spine. Later today I'm going for a test drive. Actually I'll be a passenger. Mentally I'm ready to put the new suspension to the test. Physically all I can handle are streets with no potholes or expansion joints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles