S10 Build getting started

mat fink

I've been lurking stuff on this forum for a while now, but a chance sighting of your initial start to this build is what got me here and signed up to be able to check it all out! I've had my mind set on a regular truck cap with a pop top for some time, but never really come across anyone that'd already gone down exactly that path before - your project is one of the closer ones! thank you for sharing.

NORDFORD

You and Chilli are not alone!

What a fun build. My emotions were all over the place. At first I thought this was going to be a hack job. Then I saw you do some wiring and thought "he's got the attention to detail, this might turn out ok". Now I can believe how good it looks! Great ideas and on a budget. Reusing the old cap for the interior pieces was genius! Great work!!!

Meili

Adventurer
Left Expo earlier this afternoon and just arrived in Nashville to visit my daughter. About 800 more miles to go!

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Just read the whole thing!
Love it.
I had a 1993 S10 4Dr. Blazer 4x4 with a 4.3L Vortec and my first car was a 1970 Chevy Chevelle with a V-8 350 so I appreciate your whole build a lot.
Keep up the good work!

Meili

Adventurer
Thanks for all the kind words. I still feel she is a bit of a "hack job" but to me that is the charm.?

At Expo I was answering questions all day. To bad the was not a "people choice" award. LOL

I was literally the first volunteer there so had the whole place to myself Monday. That quickly changed Tuesday as the day wore on.

Here are a few random shots, the first morning (Tuesday) I awoke to fire in the sky through dense fog . It was awesome.

Sunset over the water was not to shabby either.

More to come but I got to get ready for a flight in the am. Plus I pulled an all nighter driving from Nashville to home (850 miles) and am tired.

For our 25 anniversary, my wife arranged for us to go to the "Cruisn the Coast" event in Mississippi.

A friend will be lending us one of his convertible GTOs!

Pedal to the metal!

Attachments

• s10 expo.jpg
    s10 expo.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 38
  • s10 expo 1.JPG
    s10 expo 1.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 33
  • s10 expo 2.JPG
    s10 expo 2.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 36
  • s10 expo 3.JPG
    s10 expo 3.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 36
  • s10 expo 4.JPG
    s10 expo 4.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 33
  • s10 expo 6.jpg
    s10 expo 6.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 35
  • s10 expo 7.jpg
    s10 expo 7.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Meili

Adventurer
FBJR, in my opinion, it worked great.

Every am (about 7:30) while the water was cooking for coffee, I would check the bank with my meter and log the result. Also was "testing" the frig at the same time.

The solar panel was turned a minimum of 3 times a day to maximize the output by me or my neighbors. What was cool, people just walking by would turn it without being asked!

Using the hi tech pre-frozen water bottle in the freezer test, I would adjust the thermostat down daily about a point everyday starting from the highest 5 (0 to 5 dial).

Once the bottle showed signs of melting, the thermostat was turned back up a 1/2 a point. Ended up settling at final setting of around 2.5 on the dial.

Here are my obsessive results:

Day- outside temp- weather- frig setting- bank volts- volt change
Monday........82 sunny....5....12.70.....full charge
Tuesday.......84 sunny.....4....12.62...-.08 volt
Wednesday...86 sunny....3....12.56....-.06 volt
Thursday......84 sunny....2....12.48....-.08 volt
Friday..........79 cloudy..2.5...12.50...+.02 volt
Saturday......77 sunny...2.5...12.42... -.08 volt

Keep in mind the bank voltage reading was in the am, so it shows draw/usage from the day before.

The consistent -.08 drop threw me off at first, but kinda makes sense now. The outside temp was going up but the frig was being turned down so they equalized.

It also looks like the cheapy solar can not only keep up with extremely frugal usage but actually charge (only .02v) the bank.

Seems that if it was in a sunny area, the bank would be good for at least a couple of weeks before dropping to 12v.

If I was to drive into town once a week for supplies,being topped off by alternator, swagging they would last "indefinitely".

With no sun at all,not running the truck, 9 days???

Last edited:

Meili

Adventurer
We ended slightly extending our stay in Louisiana due to hurricane Nate.

It was tough, wife was in the milder blue GTO, I got the more radical yellow one.

Finally unloaded the truck today.

Hopefully will get back on track tomorrow!i

Attachments

• gto hers.jpg
    gto hers.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 12
  • gto his.jpg
    gto his.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 12

FBJR

Adventurer
I remember the commercials for those when they would hit the front bumper with a crow bar!

Nice cars, guess you don't hit the bumpers like them.

Meili

Adventurer
Don't think the crowbar deal would have gone over well!! I think they did one with a bowling ball too.

The Cruisin the Coast event was crazy, over 8,200 registered cars!

Here are a few pictures from Expo East.

Used my high tech leveling device to make sure I slept on the level.

Tried some local brew as a sleep aid.

Went to the Wedge for the "Cool Rides" contest.

Had to do one field repair in the field, idler arm. Fortunately was able to borrow pickle fork, 3 pounder and a grease gun.

Last a few shots of rigs that caught my eye.

Attachments

• s10 expo 8.jpg
    s10 expo 8.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 19
  • s10 expo 9.jpg
    s10 expo 9.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 18
  • s10 expo 10.JPG
    s10 expo 10.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 17
  • s10 expo 12.JPG
    s10 expo 12.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 17
  • s10 expo 13.JPG
    s10 expo 13.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 19
  • s10 expo 14.JPG
    s10 expo 14.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 22
  • s10 expo 15.JPG
    s10 expo 15.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 22
  • s10 expo 16.JPG
    s10 expo 16.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 22
  • s10 expo 17.JPG
    s10 expo 17.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 22
  • s10 expo 18.JPG
    s10 expo 18.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 21

FIRE74

Observer
I just found this thread and realized after reading through it, you were camped at the Expo about 75' from us.......we were in a Tacoma and an FJ with customized military trailers
awesome build!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94