S10 Build getting started

Meili

Adventurer
Ok, it's already been started. Here is the short version.

Over the years there have been a few S's in my family, Pick up,Blazer and even a Bravada.

As the family grew, these gave way to things like mini-vans, gasp!

Fast forward to about 3 years ago I saw an ad for a 88 S10 short bed 4x4. It was someone else's project that got 80% done swapping in a junkyard 4.3.

Having a company car, this was a fun toy. The idea came to me to build a "all around " capable vehicle, problem was it was a tight fit. Somehow S10s

got smaller then I remember. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

So I kept my eyes open for a extended cab while patching the 88 together. I kept in the back of my mind that anything I did I could swap over to the

extended cab if I ever find one.

A none rusted out S10 is darn well near impossible to find in the North East.

Browsing Craigslist I saw an ad for my unicorn, 1985 extended cab that looked solid. Here where it gets good, already has a 350 in it!!!

Saw the truck, made the deal and towed it home with my 88 S10.

Right now 80% of the stuff that was in/on the 88 is on the 85.

I just put on a used cap with 2 tool boxes and barn doors, was even a color match, unfortunately red.

This is a Sears card, not a Gold Card type build, cheap!

Here are the specs so far:

1985 S10 Exteneded Cab
"Corvette" 350, aluminum heads,rest of specs to be determined, but runs great with no death sounds
Th700r, leaking pan gasket fixed,new filter/fluid
NP207, works fine, fluid changed
Front diff, rebuilt with custom posi, no more Snap=Lock, I mean Gov-lock , 4.11 from 89 2.8 Blazer , was 3.42s
Rear diff, only original part is the housing, TruTrac posi, 4.11 ,upgraded axles
Tires: 245/75 16 on late model Camaro rims(right offset)
Mild torsion bar twist and extended rear shackles, 1 inch hockey puck body lift

updates:
added aluminium contractor cap, prepped for RTT install
added junk yard fender flares, trimmed to clear tires
added 4 more bolts/bushing to secure bed to truck
gutted extended cap area of jump seats and trim, prep for 12v batterys/invertor
bought used 12v frig, still deciding where to mount
added some what "rare" factory aluminum skid plates
cut front bumper for front receiver
blacked out bumper/grill with Rustoleum textured spray bomb
upgraded to silverstar headlights
swapped a bunch of rubber parts from my 88
cut out d/s toolbox

Anyway, I have about $5000 into right now.

Here are a few pics.

Thanks fos10 v8 tow.jpgs10 v8 9.jpgr looking.

Last edited:

mmp3823

Observer
My first truck was an 84 S-10 "Durango". I still miss it. Looks like you will have some fun adventures with it.

Meili

Adventurer
This is a Durango also. Here it is, with the cap and parts swapped over.

I did cut out the d/s tool box for more interior room and swapped the rear doors side to side. More on that later.

Also got one of those cheap Harbor freight solar kits to plate with. Yes, I know not to expect much from it but for $50....

Hopefully looking at a 12v refrigerator tonight.

Attachments

• s10 utility.jpeg
    s10 utility.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 99

Meili

Adventurer
Picked up a really clean Norcold 2.5 12volt refrigerator today for $100.

The guy selling is restarting his business fixing RVs.

We talked for an hour, almost forgot to buy the fridge!

He then came over to my "hobby" shop for a few hours today.

I may have a job!

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking trucks there Meili! Welcome to the site and thanks for posting pics of your rigs. Good to hear you might have a job and nice score on the refrigerator. Cheers Chilli..:)

Meili

Adventurer
Took all day but "reengineered the caps inner structure. Since I will be cutting a big hole in it, needed to move all the bracing.

I moved 2 out of 3 to either end for maximum support of the roof top tent I will be adding.

Turned out great but was a real pain. A couple braces were welded before the original skin was put on making getting to them interesting.

Itching to cut the roof but need to see what the 7 day forecast looks like.

Meili

Adventurer
Here are a few pics, had to go to Sprint to get new phone working right.

Attachments

• s10 ex roof 1.JPG
    s10 ex roof 1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 103
  • s10 ex roof 2.JPG
    s10 ex roof 2.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 112
  • s10 ex roof 4.JPG
    s10 ex roof 4.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 115
  • s10 ex roof.JPG
    s10 ex roof.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 104
  • s10 ex roof 5.JPG
    s10 ex roof 5.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 110

Meili

Adventurer
Couple more to get caught up.

I did install the other 3 flares and aligned the cab on the mounts and front bumper, was off 1/2 inch.

Also took out the jump seats to make room for the battery bank.

Roof rack is gone for now.

Attachments

• s10 ex roof 6.JPG
    s10 ex roof 6.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 90
  • s10 ex rear door.JPG
    s10 ex rear door.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 93
  • s10 ex flare.JPG
    s10 ex flare.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 96

02rangeredge

Adventurer
are you just using sheet metal screws to hold the cross members on? are you worried at all about the combined weight of you and the tent pushing downward being to much? I need to reinforce my cap and was thinking stove bolts and silicone caulking

Meili

Adventurer
The cross-members are welded to a piece of aluminum angle on the ends as a foot.

They would actually stay in place without any screws, had to hammer them in place. The factory only has 4 tiny screws holding the whole structure in.

All the weight is going to be supported at the ends. As a backup I can still use the external rack.

The screws up top are only to secure the thin roof to the cross-members. They will be sealed and covered when the mount is attached.

Meili

Adventurer
So no big hole cut in the roof today. There was a chance of rain so of course it was sunny today.

I had a made a bushing from a left over plastic part of a lift kit to mount the bed to the cab. The pics pretty much speak for themselves.

This made a huge difference in the rigidity of the truck, feels like a different vehicle over bumps, no rattle etc etc.

The bed on the s10 has 4 bolts at the corners that bolt it down, even thought there are 3 cross supports under the bed. They just sit

on the frame with little rubber pads to avoid squeaks?

You can tell by the worn/missing rubber and fresh rust the bed really floats around.

All I did was use the existing holes and drilled threw the bed and ran bolts threw the bushing I had added. Now the bed is held down by 8 bolts

with only 2 floating bushings.

Between the bed to body bushing and this, the truck is so solid and ride quality has improved 200%.

Attachments

• s10 bed 2 body.JPG
    s10 bed 2 body.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 80
  • s10 bed 2 body 1.JPG
    s10 bed 2 body 1.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 72
  • s10 bed 2 body 3.JPG
    s10 bed 2 body 3.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
  • s10 bed 2 body 4.JPG
    s10 bed 2 body 4.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 74
  • s10 bed 2 body 5.JPG
    s10 bed 2 body 5.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 76
  • s10 bed mount.JPG
    s10 bed mount.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looking good! I have always liked the S10's. It is a wonder more people do not run them. Especially the newer body style from I think '94-2004. I had 2000 Jimmy with the 4.3L engine. When I sold it it had around 215,000 miles on it and ran like a sewing machine.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
The cross-members are welded to a piece of aluminum angle on the ends as a foot.

They would actually stay in place without any screws, had to hammer them in place. The factory only has 4 tiny screws holding the whole structure in.

All the weight is going to be supported at the ends. As a backup I can still use the external rack.

The screws up top are only to secure the thin roof to the cross-members. They will be sealed and covered when the mount is attached.

that makes perfect sense, I wish I knew how to weld- I'd reinforce and reskin the entire cap

jpat30

Adventurer
Great looking ride there. Will definitely be following along on this one. Reminds me of my 1984 gmc S15 extended cab I had in high school and college. It had the 2.8 and 700r4 which when it grenaded I swapped in a 5spd..loved that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles