Who tows with a diesel Colorado ?

Huffy

Observer
I have a 2002 7.3l F250 and a 2016 5.0 F150. They have surprisingly closes towing and payload capacities. There is NO and I mean NO comparison in the real world. Both are great trucks and have their place but, the F250 is the far superior tow vehicle. The F150 is at my comfort limit around 5K lbs which is about 1/2 its rated ability. The 150 has a tow package and 3.73"s. The F250 also has 3.73's. It is very comfortable near its 12K tow limit and I have pulled more cautiously. Even down 150hp from the F150, the F250 will run off and leave the F150 loaded equally. The F150 gets slightly better mileage unloaded and falls flat on its ******** loaded up. Its pretty darn quick empty. The F250 pays a much smaller fuel penalty towing. Accelerates with ease loaded, brakes like a champ and generally inspires confidence. FWIW, get the bigger, beefier, not necessarily more powerful truck for towing.

perterra

Adventurer
I have a 2002 7.3l F250 and a 2016 5.0 F150. They have surprisingly closes towing and payload capacities. There is NO and I mean NO comparison in the real world. Both are great trucks and have their place but, the F250 is the far superior tow vehicle. The F150 is at my comfort limit around 5K lbs which is about 1/2 its rated ability. The 150 has a tow package and 3.73"s. The F250 also has 3.73's. It is very comfortable near its 12K tow limit and I have pulled more cautiously. Even down 150hp from the F150, the F250 will run off and leave the F150 loaded equally. The F150 gets slightly better mileage unloaded and falls flat on its ******** loaded up. Its pretty darn quick empty. The F250 pays a much smaller fuel penalty towing. Accelerates with ease loaded, brakes like a champ and generally inspires confidence. FWIW, get the bigger, beefier, not necessarily more powerful truck for towing.

I think I recall he has a 3500 pound trailer,

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
tow rating is 6200lb max! that's awesome. A vehicle that gets 30mpg and can tow a big camper....and still return 23mpg doing it...

kojackJKU

btw. the z71 is 10k cheaper than the TRD PRO. add the icon suspension, wheels and tires, and other doo dads you have a rig that's more equipped for less money....and I would add most of that onto the TRD PRO anyways as well!

rkj__

Adventurer
There are a few real world tow reports out there but you need to go to www.coloradofans.com
Yup. If you have not already, you definitely need to register for the Colorado Fans forums, and do some reading there. There are plenty of towing reports if you dig in and search around.

It sounds like most are happy with the engine. When towing big and heavy loads, the hitch setup becomes very critical for controlling the load.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

I have the z71 duramax in my driveway now....AWESOME! driving it is different compared to gas engines..but its smooth, fairly quiet and awesome on fuel!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't see how you're going to save money. As usual, fuel economy is a bad excuse to buy a new truck. If you want a new truck, get a new truck. But I don't see how a little diesel screaming hard, is going to get better mileage than a big gasser running easy.

If you're keeping the Powerwagon, why not run that? Otherwise get any of the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks out there instead. Do you really need 2 Powerwagons? Why not a regular dodge or Ford setup with normal tires and no lift for better mileage?

The money I've saved with diesels and camping, went right back into the maintenace of the truck. I never saved a dime.

perterra

Adventurer
I don't see how you're going to save money. As usual, fuel economy is a bad excuse to buy a new truck. If you want a new truck, get a new truck. But I don't see how a little diesel screaming hard, is going to get better mileage than a big gasser running easy.

If you're keeping the Powerwagon, why not run that? Otherwise get any of the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks out there instead. Do you really need 2 Powerwagons? Why not a regular dodge or Ford setup with normal tires and no lift for better mileage?

The money I've saved with diesels and camping, went right back into the maintenace of the truck. I never saved a dime.

Peak torque is at 2000 rpm, that aint much screaming. I dont see why anyone would buy a one ton truck to pull a 3500 lb single axle trailer?

Clutch

<---Pass

Yerp...

New Baby-Max GM is what $35-40K? That buys an awful lot of fuel for the paid for Power Wagon....and that is just the buy in cost, you still have to insure and and put fuel into it.

Unless the current vehicle is in need a of complete restoration. Always cheaper to run what you already have.

If range is a concern, probably just add a bigger fuel tank or transfer flow to the PW.

Like you said.. if it is a case of the "Want-Sees"....you only live once, buy the damn truck. It just won't save you any money... :D

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Exactly how much travel are we talking about?

My Delorme' GPS program calculates fuel cost for me. I inputted the economy of my rig with my bike in the bed, from Mid-Ohio to Key Largo=$205.04. My buds 7.3L diesel, same load= $151.08.

$50 bucks saved ain't going to make many payments on a new truck. Figure in a 23' TT and that saving might increase to $100. But how often do I haul a TT to Key Largo? Not often enough to need a new diesel truck. That's the math you need to do.

If the Powerwagon is worn out, so be it. But if it's good to go, that would be my ride. I'd rather not tow anything with a Colorado. I'd go at least to an F150. But obviously, I'm biased towards Superduties and HD Dodges.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Peak torque is at 2000 rpm, that aint much screaming. I dont see why anyone would buy a one ton truck to pull a 3500 lb single axle trailer?

Matters not where peak torque is. A bigger engine is going to be working easier, even if it is a gasoline engine at 4500 rpm for every hill. I would absolutely still pick a 1 ton for a little trailer. An overkill setup like that is remarkably easy to tow with. Truck won't even know that little trailer is there.

My major concern, is 3500# turns into 5000# really quickly. And no way am I towing 5000# with a Canyon no matter what the sticker says. And wind, little trucks hate towing on windy days.

That still sounds like a bit of work for a 2.XL engine. Wonder what BMEP I would measure? Compared to a fullsize gasoline truck? BMEP and EGT is where I'm getting my wear. RPM is the least of my worries today.

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
Matters not where peak torque is. A bigger engine is going to be working easier, even if it is a gasoline engine at 4500 rpm for every hill. I would absolutely still pick a 1 ton for a little trailer. An overkill setup like that is remarkably easy to tow with. Truck won't even know that little trailer is there.

My major concern, is 3500# turns into 5000# really quickly. And no way am I towing 5000# with a Canyon no matter what the sticker says. And wind, little trucks hate towing on windy days.

That still sounds like a bit of work for a 2.XL engine. Wonder what BMEP I would measure? Compared to a fullsize gasoline truck? BMEP and EGT is where I'm getting my wear. RPM is the least of my worries today.

a one ton truck for a single axle trailer is sure enough overkill. I dont care for big trucks cause they are a pain in the *** on job sites, so I havent owned anything the above an Frontier or Tacoma in years. Never had a seconds problem with 4,000 lb trailers but then I grew up working 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks with 235 six cylinders and never had issues other than driving slower, which is expected with a 135 horse engine and 4:10 gears.

Being the devils advocate, The point as I see it, the OP asked for real world experience with the little duramax, so far a lot of folks basically seem to be saying, it wont work, I dont have one, dont know anybody with one, never driven one, but it wont work. The OP has an 18 - 20 ft travel trailer, and a 30 foot toy hauler, chances are he is cognizant of the travails of towing, I just took it he was asking about the duramax, not asking permission.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great towing thread in the diesel forum for this rig. HP and wheelbase length vs really big boxy trailers seems to be the area of weakness. One poster didnt like the truck because his 31ft rv house with no sway control gear was scary when semis passed him. LOL ahh OK...
Others reported great towing with lesser areo challenged yet comparatively heavy loads. I too am interested in the baby diesel. There are a number of experienced rv types that have written good feed back for 20-24ft nicely set up RVs pushing 5k or slightly more.
The areo factor vs lower hp has had really big areo pig trailer towing report being tough to do much over 55m mph. But for anyone whose towed lots of terrible trailers with lousy areo factor weight isnt really the issue but drag sure is.

There is some talk about reported temps engine oil and AT temps. So far it sounds like cooling has been pretty good.

I think any tow rating today should be though of as short haul across town weight. Max rating OK. Vs big roadtrip you figure 50-70% of max rating being fairly ideal in most cases. Especially in hot temps.

I like the midsized for usability in town. Full size is really difficult to find parking wide enough. I've towed 6500lbs a few times with a full size. Once your up in those numbers regardless of the tow rig its a serious deal and most regulars hauling that kind of weight beyond local trips move to big heavy tow rigs for good reason.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Only lightweight towing for me so far. The Canyon diesel is a great midsize truck.

Thats the color I like. Light interior?
Whats with GM only offering ventilated seats in Denali Trim and only ugly black interior? Sweaty work boot guys would love ventilated seat option in the base model!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne