Gen 3 Steering Gear Bellows Replacement and Question for Gurus

Offroadmuch

Explorer
IMG_3613.jpg

Got these from OEMMitsubishi.com.
Bad news is they do not come with any of the hardware to secure them in place so I need to find that somehow. Very disappointed it was not included. Gurus: Does anyone know if zip-ties are strong enough for the job? And what kind of grease should I apply under the new bellows? Where can I get the proper hardware? Not a single local parts store carried these and did not even have part numbers so I am guessing the hardware alone will be nearly impossible to locate. I am near Los Angeles/Orange County if there is a good supplier nearby.
Any other tips?
Thank you!

KyleT

Explorer
Heavy duty zip ties or good hose clamps would prob work. As I recall the factory clamps are those metal crimp ones that you have to use special pliers to crimp. You could also use safety wire and wrap it around a couple times then twist it right but not too tight to cut the boots.

No idea on grease though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Just use stainless hose clamps...real stainless, including the screw. It shouldn't require any sort of exotic grease.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to check out McFadden-Dale hardware. You'll find 10 or 12 dozen things that will work

Offroadmuch

Explorer
McFadden-Dale is awesome! They have great stuff! Been there many times. http://mcfaddendalehardware.com
The reason I ask about grease is that under the current set of bellows (rubber boots) I can see grease. I know that some oils and grease will destroy rubber so I am just trying to use the correct stuff.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Below is a link to the FSM for '03 and up...
Scroll to page 33 in the PDF for information on the bellows installation.
Sealant is used on the "inside/large" end.
OEM part for the "outside/small" end is a pinch clamp. (I reused the OEM part)
Recommended grease is silicone based.
HTH

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00003600-37A.pdf

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Below is a link to the FSM for '03 and up...
Scroll to page 33 in the PDF for information on the bellows installation.
Sealant is used on the "inside/large" end.
OEM part for the "outside/small" end is a pinch clamp. (I reused the OEM part)
Recommended grease is silicone based.
HTH

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00003600-37A.pdf

Much appreciated. I am still getting used to navigating around the FSM so this is very helpful!

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I wonder if a PEX crimp clamp would work, it's about the right size.

The other thing I've always wanted to try on these sort of problems is a clamptite

This thread has been helpful for me so I hope it was good for anyone with the same questions. I know this is basic stuff but it is so great to have a group of people with experience on the same vehicles, very helpful.

That clamptite tool is one of the coolest everyday or emergency tools I have ever seen. I will have to get one of those just to have. Great piece of gear for my off road survival/tool kit. Thank you!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Do not pack the boot with grease! If you have "grease" in the original it means you have a leaky steering rack. Grease the joint in there and install the new boot.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Good point. So I should disassemble the rack and pinion gear mechanism then grease, add the boots and reinstall....

Your original post said that you were only replacing the bellows...if so, there is no reason to get into the rack and pinion gear set.
Disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
Mark the location of the tie rods ends and jam nut.
Remove the tie rod ends and jam nuts.
Slip the new bellows over the tie rod, apply a bit of silicone grease to the "outside/small" end of the bellows (following the FSM).
The FSM has you using sealant on the inside part of the bellows, but you can also use a stainless band clamp.
As stated previously, don't pack the bellows with grease.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Got it all done. Made more sense when I got it all apart. No water intrusion. Got it all cleaned up to make sure there was no dirt or junk. Reused the existing spring clip on the small end. Used an extremely heavy duty zip tie on the big end. Thank for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94