Roof Rack Help?

MOguy

Explorer
I have a hitch rack. I even made a higher hitch point to mount it. Looks cool, hold my gear but it SUCKS and I am done with it. People including myself always run into it, it sucks, don't do it, they hurt.

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Old Yakima basket case will work if the dimensions work for the space. It can drop down between the crossbars.
Light duty, although I had one way back in the day and never considered how much crap I put in there.
I'm aware the one photo has Thule bars, but it is a Yakima basketcase.
IMG_6580.JPGIMG_6579.jpg

ttengineer

Adventurer
This is what you are looking for. One is from frontrunner the other from Baja rack.

It solves the problem the correct way and you don't have to Jerry rig some red neck engineering contraption that will rust, look like crap, and will probably fail on the first rough trail.

eb3a6eed86631a0ed6170c26c5f3049a.jpg

dc2e19c936e1625118b77f1f01b7bda1.jpg

Both are decently expensive though.

The front runner rack has a pretty cool modular system that allows you to add multiple tie downs and accessories.

Front runner will also build it to the size you need.

If you watch this video, this guy has a Tacoma with a flip pack and has a frontrunner rack on the cab. It looks like it could not be a better fit. The rack also has the added bonus of cutting the wind and helping quiet the ride.

https://youtu.be/PB3Ex9-Hgr4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aequitas3

I'm a truck…

This is what you are looking for. One is from frontrunner the other from Baja rack.
I'm in the same boat. 1st generation (2001-2004) double cabs are different from 2nd & 3rd generations.
Neither Frontrunner or Baja rack makes a rack for the 1st gens. In fact, the ONLY options I know of that are off the shelf and not custom are Yakima / Thule like the OP has already.

Secondly, since the 1st gen beds are shorter, the flippac sits pretty close to the top of the cab - giving less room for a rack than the 2nd gens.

Here's a photo of the clearance on my 2003:
vXf81rq.jpg

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
I finally got somewhere with this, but am not sure I will pull the trigger due to cost.

I spoke with Front Runner about our 1st gen double cabs and they recommended doing a kit or custom package like their offerings for shells/trailers like this one. This will be about $860 for just parts.

We would have to drop the headliner, drill through the roof and install the tracks before being able to attach their feet and rack platform. For overall height above the roof, this is likely the LOWEST option for our trucks that isn't custom fabricated.

A potentially less expensive and no drilling option would be to get the Thule Rapid Traverse foot pack and Kit1064 for 480 and 480R foot packs. Then get the Front Runner Thule Rapid System Adapter Plates to attach to the Thule feet. This option will be approximately $ ??? (price breakdown below):
  • $199 Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack
  • $110 Thule Kit1064
  • $87 Front Runner adapter plates
  • $XXX Front Runner Slimline II rack that fits the size of the roof alright.

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
i would say ditch the rack and do a hard mount. drill and use nutserts and make a rack that is very low.
That's pretty much the option I detailed in the post before yours:

I spoke with Front Runner about our 1st gen double cabs and they recommended doing a kit or custom package like their offerings for shells/trailers like this one. This will be about $860 for just parts.

We would have to drop the headliner, drill through the roof and install the tracks [with rivnuts]before being able to attach their feet and rack platform. For overall height above the roof, this is likely the LOWEST option for our trucks that isn't custom fabricated.....

Tray

Would the Rhino Rack Platform work? The small one (RPBS) is 49x37 and if you laid it on the crossbars upside-down (at least based on how they add the decal), you'd only add about 1/4" to the height above the crossbars.

MR. ED

Observer
What about building a steel/aluminum frame on top of the bed rails to bump the flip pac up another 4-6 inches to clear the basket? That's all I got. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles