Roof Rack Help?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have Flippac on my Taco and run a Yakima bar and fairing full time. I also have a back bar and foot kit that can attach with a basket.

030916pod.jpg

As you can see there is not a lot of room when open

102416pod.jpg

I am looking for an off the shelve idea for a full time basket (just a flat surface) ? that would fit under the FP - the idea would be to carry camp chairs up there and unload at camp - they are bulky especially with a 5 foot bed and a dog in the back

taco rack.jpg

Any ideas?

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Square tubing, u bolts. Mount tubing under the Yakima bars. Strap chairs down. Done. Easy.

No off the shelf is gonna work here, IMO.

Coachgeo

Explorer
complicated version...... but might be cooool and functional

Put any size and height rack you want BUTTT..... Add brush bars/external cage? from bumper to top of cab or all way back to stowed edge of FlipPak. Plan for Brush bars to also act as a "rail" for your chosen rack to slide or roll down. When loading/unloading... roll rack down from top like a mining car. Roll it all the way to the bumper for ease of loading/unolading said mining car of gold..... er I mean camping supplies. When camping also roll it down out of way to open FlipPak. Install small winch for raising lowering. Especially for slowling the decent down rail so it does not take some fingers off.

side note: Watch to see if bumper and body of truck move independently some. On some vehicles attaching things from bumper to body are a no no ..... other rigs it is a non issue.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
not a lot of room. You'd do better fabricating something. There's a guy here that did a real nice rack with cab roof and shell halves using plate aluminum as the sides, it conformed closely to the roof line. That would give you the storage space you are trying to get. Me, I'd skip the cab roof and put the rack on the tail end of the flip, and empty it before flipping. And the rack would be over the hood when unfolded.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The problem with ANYTHING on the FP roof is weight and increasing the chance of breaking the torsion bar!
not a lot of room. You'd do better fabricating something. There's a guy here that did a real nice rack with cab roof and shell halves using plate aluminum as the sides, it conformed closely to the roof line. That would give you the storage space you are trying to get. Me, I'd skip the cab roof and put the rack on the tail end of the flip, and empty it before flipping. And the rack would be over the hood when unfolded.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I think I get too much movement. I put a T bar on the front bumper and carried a surf board on the T bar and the one load bar on the roof, it came loose every 50 miles - almost made me want to throw the surfboard into the weeds along the road!
complicated version...... but might be cooool and functional

Put any size and height rack you want BUTTT..... Add brush bars/external cage? from bumper to top of cab or all way back to stowed edge of FlipPak. Plan for Brush bars to also act as a "rail" for your chosen rack to slide or roll down. When loading/unloading... roll rack down from top like a mining car. Roll it all the way to the bumper for ease of loading/unolading said mining car of gold..... er I mean camping supplies. When camping also roll it down out of way to open FlipPak. Install small winch for raising lowering. Especially for slowling the decent down rail so it does not take some fingers off.

side note: Watch to see if bumper and body of truck move independently some. On some vehicles attaching things from bumper to body are a no no ..... other rigs it is a non issue.

bunger

Adventurer
Why don't you cut the sides off of the basket you already have? It would leave you with just a flat panel.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Then you've painted yourself into a corner of your creation. Easy to say No / Can't. Your 'wants' don't seem to be conforming with realities.

Torsion bar is easy. Two ropes. You on one at the rear, controlling the rate it opens, your spouse / partner on the one at the front, pulling it open. Torsion bar protected from excess weight.

Frankly the problems incurred having a rack just to carry a couple of flat chairs seems ludicrous. Change your packing layout. Change your chair designs. Get rid of the rack altogether. Quit tryign to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
What I have is this in gray, I did not get a stretch kit. So my hope is to make something to replace it. I really like the idea of using bars and bungee the chairs to them

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/orsracksdirect/yakima-q-stretch-kit-19.png

I don't want to cut down my rack because when I take the surfboard, I use it to keep the board above the FP.

I know what you mean about square peg and round hole, but when we go for a week and bring 2 kids, the dog, bike stuff, it fills the Taco's bed. We go to Cape Lookout or dispersed in the woods, so I have to bring enough water, etc....

Thanks for the ideas! I have some old Thule load bars I am going to mount long ways with U bolts on the Yakima bars!

digitalferg

Adventurer
I wonder if the rack that @CruiserOutfit ran on his old Tacoma would work for this... it was a nice, flat setup that seemed very usable. I'll try to find his thread on here...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles