OEM 45 liter gas tank on a US LC200

Hello first post here.

I've been wondering why the american sold LC200 only has a 24 gallon gas tank while some of the Land Cruisers sold in other countries have much larger tanks. Toyota even started putting larger tanks in the Tundra to offset the mileage that the 5.7 gets but hasn't done it for the LC200. I am guessing they just don't sell enough of them and the crowd that would typically buy does not need the extra range.

Anyhow I am thinking that the body between the LC200 sold here and the one sold in Australia is the same so the 45 Liter sub-tank, that comes standard with their vehicles, would fit onto the US LC200. I know there are aftermarket companies that make even larger gas tanks but am thinking that an OEM 45 liter tank, installed by a toyota shop may not even void any warranty. Has anyone done this or know how to get the parts needed?

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-200/range

Arktikos

Explorer
With better MPG, the 200 has more range than any of the older Cruiser wagons.
I guess you'd have to buy an aftermarket tire carrying bumper to go along with the added tank, since it would take up the OEM spare location. It must be a dealer installed option, rather than a standard feature. Reasoning for not offering in US may be that vast distances between gas stations isn't much of an issue. The Dalton and Dempster highways in Alaska and Canada are somewhat of a stretch, but I don't think you'd have to add fuel capacity to make those routes.

lugueto

Adventurer
Installs are usually complicated when it comes to installing a OEM sub tank.

If everything is OEM then everything should have its proper spot with mounting holes for the brackets and what not.

It will requiere a lot of parts which will only be available in the countries where this is an option.

You need the filler neck, tank with pump assembly and level sender, fuel lines, fuel switch solenoid, fuel level gauge, etc.

EDIT: You DONT need a spare tire carrier, the sub tank is installed above the spare tire

If warranty is an issue, my guess is you'll need to order the parts with Toyota and install it at a dealer.

Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer
Another factor is evap emissions - unlike a diesel tank (which emits no vapor), the new gas tank must be plumbed in to the evap canister and evap purge solenoid to be emissions legal.

Not sure if any dealer wants to tamper with emissions equipment and risk a fine from EPA...

Arktikos

Explorer

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
He big problem is the charcoal canister. On the US spec 200/570 it's mounted above the spare tire crossmember. In the land of long-range-tanks (Australia) their gas models have the charcoal canister much further forward. Some great ideas getting tossed around on Mud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94