Dueling battery question

patoz

Expedition Leader
Oh, I'm very familiar with building things using that metal. About 20 years ago, I converted a large GMC step van to a rescue vehicle for the Fire Department I worked for.

After installing all of the emergency lighting and communications gear, I built a set of racks with multiple sections, shelves, and cubby-holes down each side of the back. Each piece of rescue equipment had its own spot, which was designed for maximum use of space. I used 2" x 3" Commercial grade slotted angle, which was covered in a light green colored anti-corrosion paint.

TnB_30854.jpg

I even managed to get my hands on one of the cutters made for this metal, which really made life easier considering how many pieces I had to cut.

4W296_AS01.jpg

I'm looking for more of a box type battery holder rather than just a bracket, but if I don't find what I'm looking for I will certainly consider this method.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Look on the Summit Racing and Jeg's websites. Lots of prefab boxes for relocating batteries on drag cars. I got a couple from Summit and modified them slightly with some angle iron so that they would hang from the frame rail on my Dodge 2500, under the front passenger seat. I have a pair of Optima Grp 34 Dual purpose Marines under there, and the bottom of the box is still above the bottom of the frame rail, so they are somewhat protected from rocks and impacts. I would have preferred Grp 65 or 31 under there but did not have enough clearance. They are on their sides, tucked up pretty tight against the floor of the cab. You'll still need to weld on the angle iron, but any muffler shop will do that.

I have checked some of those sites and eBay has a lot also. I have a couple of possibilities in mind, but I need to identify what battery I'm going to use first, so I can make sure the box will fit. However, as I get older I'm finding it's just not as easy crawling around under vehicles as it used to be! :)

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Battery box 7.jpg
Summit boxes under the Dodge. Note the angle iron to simplify mounting. Need a hydraulic jack to get them in and out, big PITA.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
For 2 GA cable, on about a 15-20 ft run, at 12VDC @ 100ish amps, your looking at about a 6% voltage drop. Up size your cable.

On a battery charging circuit (loop), the voltage of the entire loop will be regulated by the battery, and will be limited at battery voltage until the voltage of the battery rises high enough for the alternator's voltage regular to take over limiting the voltage.

In other words, in that situation there is no voltage drop.

Having undersize wire on a battery charging loop can cause a reduction in amps flowing, which can cause charging to take longer, but it doesn't affect voltage.

The battery has a resistance, which will also limit amps flowing. As long as the wire is large enough to allow the battery's resistance to regulate the amp flow, then the wire is large enough.

For battery charging, size the wire to handle the maximum expected amp flow, and ignore the nonexistent voltage drop.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Proof:

A 10a battery charger will limit the amps flowing to a max of 10a. So the battery charging leads might only be #16 wire, which is adequate to handle the 10a load.

But it will still be able to charge the battery to full voltage - given enough time.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Are we talking about a single battery or the wiring to a remote second battery?

For a single battery on a charger it will charge regardless of the wire size, the amount of current is the same around the whole circuit and eventually the voltage on the battery will rise to fully charged. The only way for that not to be true would be if the current limit was so significant as to keep it below the self discharge rate. So dwh is right with the 10A example.

But in a parallel situation the remote battery in the 'wrong' configuration from this diagram will see significantly less current and may in a worst case never fully charge no matter how much time you give it. That depends on the amount of current available and the size of the resistances and battery characteristics. The amount of current flowing in parallel loops isn't necessarily equal and would be biased towards the circuit with lower resistance (usually the one closest to the charger). It's a current divider.

In this case the resistance of the cabling would have some impact. Since the internal resistance of a battery is very low cables can present enough resistance to be significant. Current will always find the easiest return path when given parallel choices. Eventually they both might charge since the main battery as it becomes fully charged would have an increasing internal resistance. But usually it's best practice to cross the power and return across a bank to keep the charging and discharging balanced and negate the resistance in wiring and terminals.

connecting-two-batteries-in-parallel.jpg

This is not unique to batteries, current balancing is a concept that occurs with parallel caps for bulk and decoupling, parallel switching elements, etc.

paralleldcbuscapacitors.jpg

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
All of that is true, and balancing the wiring is important - if the batteries are wired into a full-time bank where they charge and discharge together.

But for the "RV" sort of arrangement, where one battery is for starting and the "house" (or aux) battery does most of the work - the important point is...

The amount of current flowing in parallel loops isn't necessarily equal and would be biased towards the circuit with lower resistance (usually the one closest to the charger).

Since the starting battery is normally either fully charged or very nearly so, it will have a much higher resistance than the partially discharged house battery.

So the majority of the current is going to flow to the house battery, while the cranking battery is going to trickle charge for a few minutes until it has replenished the 1/5ah (or less) that was expended to start the truck.

Since the charging and discharging of the batteries is so radically different - one almost never discharged even 1%, while the other regularly discharged as much as 50% - AND they are only connected during charging (part-time) - there is no need to worry about balancing the wire sizes or the connection scheme.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Battery internal resistance doesn't change that much as it goes through SOC and doesn't continue increasing indefinitely. It's not linear nor a steady state resistor. Even fully charged it's still only tens of mΩ. That's why you have to taper the voltage down so that you don't continue to force current and overcharge. You're floating at the chemical threshold where you no longer are reversing the reaction in bulk and just compensating for the self discharge. IOW the circuit balances between two sources so only a small current flows.

I agree that with parallel batteries that one of them should charge but you can't say that once one is charged the other /must/ charge. An alternator is neither a constant current or constant voltage source. Current will only flow if the load impedance is lower than it's equivalent internal impedance and the system voltage must regulate otherwise the main battery would overcharge. The remote battery is going to end up doing whatever it will, a tapering fast down or a trickle charge depending on what the system sees. The reasons why battery banks are configured with similar batteries and wired as they are remain valid here even though it's just during charging. So you need a low enough impedance that the alternator can force current onto the remote battery without the existing battery or normal loads seeing it.

For example, do people with batteries in trailers charging through the plug always achieve full charge? I believe that undercharging is often a problem for them. Now that may be an extreme case with poor connector and small wires, but 20 feet of 16 AWG is still only about 80mΩ so there's not unlimited margin. Whether the difference in 2 AWG and 1/0 is enough is doubtful, but there's no guarantee that the remote battery must charge either.

DaveInDenver

Reliably charging a remote battery is the reason DC-DC chargers and maintainers like Sterling ProCharge, Powerstream PST and Xantrex Echos exist. They are switching supplies that appear mostly only as a load to a primary charging/storage system. It's not a superposition exercise of multiple loops of sources, sometimes dependent, sometimes independent, and impedances in one circuit.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
That's why you have to taper the voltage down so that you don't continue to force current and overcharge.

My '76 Ford campervan holds a steady 14.5v at any RPM above idle. At idle the voltage drops, normally to around 13.6v, but on the road, 14.5v steady. It doesn't taper voltage, it never has.

The amps do taper off, but that's a natural result of the battery voltage/resistance increasing until it reaches parity with the source.

Modern computer controlled voltage regulation sometimes plays games with the voltage, such as multi-stage charging, temperature compensation voltage adjustment, or undercharging to enable regenerative braking, but not even all modern systems do those things - some simply behave the same way a non-computer controlled system behaves.

I agree that with parallel batteries that one of them should charge but you can't say that once one is charged the other /must/ charge.

I didn't say that. I said that one will charge a little, one a lot. But it's parallel, not serial.

On my truck, after starting the 460 big block, the cranking battery surface charge will hit 14.5v in less than a minute once I put it in gear and drive away. The cranking battery has then reached voltage parity with the source and very little current flows to it. It trickle charges until it can't absorb any more at 14.5v.

The deep cycle takes longer for the surface charge to reach 14.5v, during which time it is bulk charging at the limit of the circuit's resistance. Even though the wiring between the batteries is large, the wire from the alternator to the cranking battery is the factory wire, which I believe is #10 (from the factory, with a factory 100a alternator), so I pretty much never see more than 30a into the house battery, and that tapers off as the battery state of charge rises. Once the house battery reaches 14.5v, I might see 5a or 10a for a few hours, depending in temperature, until the house battery has absorbed all it can at 14.5v and the amps taper off to almost nothing.

An alternator is neither a constant current or constant voltage source.

In terms of battery charging, it is a constant voltage source with current limiting.

Oh true, it's not very good at constant voltage, except for some with fancy PWM regulators, and/or high power alternators that put out more power at idle, but that is essentially what it is. It regulates voltage, but as far as amps go, it just does current limiting at some max value.

Current will only flow if the load impedance is lower than it's equivalent internal impedance and the system voltage must regulate otherwise the main battery would overcharge.

True. But for over 40 years my truck has regulated the system voltage at 14.5v and I generally get around 5-6 years out of a starting battery.

The deep cycle battery never lasts that long, but that's because I deliberately abuse it by ignoring the 50% rule and replace it every couple of years.

My old '67 Bug with a generator instead of an alternator also regulated at 14.5v. I've heard some Toyotas are set to 13.9v or 13.7v or something like that.

The remote battery is going to end up doing whatever it will, a tapering fast down or a trickle charge

Yes, exactly.

depending on what the system sees.

Depending on battery/circuit resistance, not on what the system sees.

The system merely tries to hold a constant voltage, and supplies whatever amps are needed to do that.

Fancier systems can jump around to different voltage set points, or fudge the voltage a bit based on temperature, but they are still just trying to hold a set voltage by supplying enough amps to do it.

The reasons why battery banks are configured with similar batteries and wired as they are remain valid here even though it's just during charging.

Sorry, but no.

Batteries wired into a full-time bank have to be matched and balanced because they charge and discharge together. If one does more work than the others, it will wear out quicker, which will eventually cause some other battery in the bank to end up having to do more work and end up wearing out quicker. Slow motion chain reaction (usually takes years) leading to the premature failure of the entire bank.

But in a part-time (charging only) "RV style" setup (which most of us use), the batteries don't discharge together. They do different jobs and one ends up working a lot harder - by design - but because they are isolated during discharge it doesn't lead to premature failure of the other.

So the reasons for matching/balancing don't apply.

So you need a low enough impedance that the alternator can force current onto the remote battery without the existing battery or normal loads seeing it.

The cranking battery doesn't "see" anything (personally, I try not to use that word, because it gives people an inaccurate picture of what is happening).

It's all about different resistance values. The alternator obviously has the lowest resistance, or it wouldn't work. The cranking battery, being nearly full, has a higher resistance than the partially discharged house battery.

The voltage regulator is the only thing that sees anything. It sees a voltage below where it should be, so it energizes the field coil of the alternator (engages the clutch, basically), and current is supplied. How much current? However much is required to supply the total load demand.

The current follows the path of least resistance, so a little will go into the cranking battery (lower resistance than the alternator, but not by much), somewhat more will go into the house battery (lower resistance than the alternator and the cranking battery), and some into the chassis bus to supply pure consumer loads.

For example, do people with batteries in trailers charging through the plug always achieve full charge? I believe that undercharging is often a problem for them.

It is a common problem, mostly due to the fact that common off the shelf RV converters are usually crap.

They are normally designed to supply 12v loads, not to charge batteries. Many of the lowbuck units are regulated at 12.6v.

Even the good ones, such as Progressive Dynamics, aren't very good battery chargers. The PD bulks to 14.4v, then drops to float at like (IIRC) 13.6v, and then after some time (28 hours? 36? 72? Can't recall offhand.), drops to a lower float voltage of 13.2v.

The problem is the design philosophy. Plugged into shore power most or all of the time, supply 12v loads, maybe keep the batteries topped off - but for gods sakes, don't overcharge and explode the batteries.

They do that fine. Battery charging...not so good.

Now that may be an extreme case with poor connector and small wires, but 20 feet of 16 AWG is still only about 80mΩ so there's not unlimited margin.

Oh true, there are limits where too ridiculously small of a wire can prevent charging altogether. But remember the POTS phone system carries 12v - enough to power a phone - over some pretty small wire and long distances.

More recently, Power over Ethernet (PoE).

Whether the difference in 2 AWG and 1/0 is enough is doubtful, but there's no guarantee that the remote battery must charge either.

No guarantee, true. But it always works. :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Reliably charging a remote battery is the reason DC-DC chargers and maintainers like Sterling ProCharge, Powerstream PST and Xantrex Echos exist. They are switching supplies that appear mostly only as a load to a primary charging/storage system. It's not a superposition exercise of multiple loops of sources, sometimes dependent, sometimes independent, and impedances in one circuit.

There a few advantages to the DC-DC chargers.

The big one is bumping up the bulk voltage to something higher than the system voltage. For instance a Toyota with say a 13.9v system voltage feeding a DC-DC charger with a 14.6v bulk stage. The buck conversion is also handy if the aux battery is quite some distance away - let the voltage to the charger drop some, then buck it back up.

Another advantage is multi-stage charging. On a powerboat especially, which might run its engine for days non-stop, having proper absorb and float stages will help the batteries to live longer.

Sterling also sells advanced multi-stage voltage regulators.

But for a truck like mine, 14.5v is good enough to charge pretty much anything except Odysseys (too low) and GELs (too high). And 8 or 10 or even 12 hours at 14.5v isn't going to do any damage from overcharging - except in the desert in the summer. But I buy flooded batteries for this truck (2WD), and just keep an eye on the water, so the extra time at higher voltage simply acts to keep the cells equalized and de-stratfied.

No worries, and no need for anything special in terms of charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne