Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail 2016

djobike

Observer
On Too Bella Coola

The next morning the rain let up but remained overcast.

We arrived in Anahim Lake and had some lunch.

After lunch we headed towards Bella Coola but not before stopping for some roadside coffee.

After coffee with a view we proceeded down “The Hill”.

We camped just up the road from Bella Coola in Hagensborg. The campground provided us with some great views of the surrounding mountains.

It also had the world’s nicest outhouse

The next morning we headed for some breakfast at one of the two places in Bella Coola.

djobike

Observer
Blue Jay Lake

After a great breakfast we started on the days travels. Today’s destination was Blue Jay Lake Rec Site. The views on the drive in were stunning.

The next day had us going back to Bella Coola, checking out the ocean and having brunch at the restaurant.

We are always on the lookout for local art when traveling and this trip we found something yet again, a hand carved feather. We bought the smaller one.

djobike

Observer
Into Purgatory and Back

Our last day in the area we picked Purgatory lookout for the night. The views from the road in were just as amazing as the previous day.

We needed another coffee break and Aaron wanted do some gold panning. Surprisingly he didn't find anything.

And back to the views.

Arriving at the lookout and the nights camping spot Mark needed to do a pose before setting up camp.

Pretty good view from the kitchen.

On the way out we put the last of our extra fuel in.

djobike

Observer
Tatla Lake and Good-Byes

We stopped at Tatla Lake for our last night as a group. The Jeeps air filter needed to be relocated; it was too close to the engine and had melted a little bit. Mark had moved it up higher when we crossed the Blackwater and had never moved it back.

Is this trip over yet!

After lunch in Williams Lake we parted ways. Mark and Aaron heading back to the Kootenay’s and us back to Edmonton.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Great write up. I would have been there scratching the dog. It must have taken some time to put that post together.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Wow, fantastic report. You guys must have come through right after we did (we cut through July/Aug 2016). We had to cut deadfall for days and days. We did try and widen it up as much as possible (we were towing a small trailer too) but there were some sections where the ATV folks had cut in 2015 and we only cut out one side to slip by. I'm hopeful that with regular use it won't be as nasty as we encountered. The water crossing on the other hand are legit. Interestingly the large crossing you guys struggled with wasn't much affair for us (but a nice bath spot) but a later crossing turned out to he right at the limit of our snorkel-less vehicles. A couple inches deeper and we would have had to call it.

These guys must have come through after you?
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...nzie-trail-2016-BC-canada?highlight=Alexander

Edit: I just watched your teaser video. That gent in the 40 is a mans man. Open top with those bugs. Yikes!

Wow. Epic trip. Man, I just hate though that that new 4runnuer took such beatings and has some damage to it that would cost some money for sure.

But experience was priceless.

Love it!!!

Wjustin

Wow, fantastic report. You guys must have come through right after we did (we cut through July/Aug 2016). We had to cut deadfall for days and days. We did try and widen it up as much as possible (we were towing a small trailer too) but there were some sections where the ATV folks had cut in 2015 and we only cut out one side to slip by. I'm hopeful that with regular use it won't be as nasty as we encountered. The water crossing on the other hand are legit. Interestingly the large crossing you guys struggled with wasn't much affair for us (but a nice bath spot) but a later crossing turned out to he right at the limit of our snorkel-less vehicles. A couple inches deeper and we would have had to call it.

These guys must have come through after you?
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...nzie-trail-2016-BC-canada?highlight=Alexander

Edit: I just watched your teaser video. That gent in the 40 is a mans man. Open top with those bugs. Yikes!

Right behind them we were:)

jeepgc

Adventurer
Excellent trip report, enjoyed reading that, thank you for sharing.

Some fantastic pictures in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior