The M~D~U Report: A Thousand Miles of Dirt in Utah

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Awesome, can't wait to read about it.

Like I said, I'm not against getting into more rough stuff.

Well..one the spots is...ridiculous and even i would not have done it had i know what we were in for with Igor. Frank..probably do it no prob. But..Igor..wow. Was pushing it.

I recommend most people by pass that section really. Which will be in the next chunk.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well..one the spots is...ridiculous and even i would not have done it had i know what we were in for with Igor. Frank..probably do it no prob. But..Igor..wow. Was pushing it.

I recommend most people by pass that section really. Which will be in the next chunk.

Ahh good to know. Well I'll probably bypass it then when I do go.

Great report and pictures as usual. I have a tentative trip planned for this summer (July 2017) and I see you have visited many of the places I plan to visit on my trip.

Keep up the great work.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Sorry guys, been crazy at work lately with shows coming and going. Get a week off soon so should get a couple more posted soon!

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Man your adventures are always documented and captured so well! Thanks for bringing us along and adding more and more to my adventure bucket list. lol

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
The M~U~D Report: 1000 Miles of Utah Dirt

Chapter 3: Well.....that was..fun

We got up at a decent hour to pack up and hit the road. Today we had a couple of rockier and more fun sections of road to drive. Little did we know we going to take on way more then we had signed up for.

But we didn't know that at all yet. Instead, the Colorado River was below us sparkling in the sun. We were headed to Dewey Bridge to get to Top of the World.

IMG_1645 by mike digirat, on Flickr
M~D~U.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Of course, Dewey Bridge is long since been retired. But it is still pretty cool. The new bridge isn't nearly as cool looking.

IMG_1652 by mike digirat, on Flickr
M~D~U-2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

To get down to Dewey and to the highway, we got to drive down a rather fun section of road. Not difficult but fully entertaining. Views were of course spectacular in Utah fashion.

IMG_1655 by mike digirat, on Flickr
IMG_1657 by mike digirat, on Flickr
M~D~U-3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
M~D~U-5.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
M~D~U-6.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

After making it to the bottom we encounter a rental Moab jeep full of...German? Not sure honestly, defineitly not from around “these parts” folks though haha One of them was able to ask us if their jeep on 35s and 4'' lift could make if up the trail we had just come off of.

I smiled and said, “that thing won't have a problem!”

Excited they set off to were we had just come. I bet they had a hoot.

We meanwhile crossed the rive and pulled into Dewey Bridge. This was once the largest suspension bridge in Utah.

IMG_1662 by mike digirat, on Flickr
M~D~U-8.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

though...it is hardly a bridge anymore!!

M~D~U-9.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

This was a pretty speacial moment for Mike and I. We had been here once before way back in 2012. I had been in Frankenstein though and it was the last trail in the day light I ran before rolling him. We had very much enjoyed our visit to this trail last time and were looking forward to tackling it again. I had heard it had gotten pretty rough through out the years.

M~D~U-10.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

We set off over the smooth maintained road to the trail and hit it hard and fast. The original plan was to make it almost to Moab by the evening so we moved along the trail at a good pace up the numirous ledges and bumpy slick rock.

Apparently we move fast.

M~D~U-11.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

Before long we caught up to a group of 11 jeeps. They were from all over and told us that there were 30 of them in Moab for a big get together. Thankfully not all 30 were on this trail at once.

Then there was some odd miscommunication or lack of leadership or...I don't know really. But some of them let us pass, and the rest..didn't.

So we were caught in the middle of a jeep meet! Haha!

M~D~U-12.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

There was one toyota FJ with them. I joked with him saying,

“Don't worry! We are here to rescue you!”

He smiled but didn't say much.

M~D~U-13.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_1666 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Needless to say, we just moved a long, didn't get many photo while we were caught in the middle of a jeep meet. But eventually, we made it to the top.

M~D~U-14.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr

The jeeps had their turn with getting their photos of their rigs up there. Mike and I ate lunch and waited patently taking photos of the vast landscape below.

IMG_1669 by mike digirat, on Flickr
M~D~U-15.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
M~D~U-16.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
M~D~U-17.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
M~D~U-18.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
IMG_1672 by mike digirat, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles