Trying to clean sunroof on 96 montero ls

SD_Montero

Observer
1c92804f0ea2695b00ca1f74d5fb0ae6.jpg

I got a leaky sunroof with plenty of sand in the rails/tracks.
Took the headliner off and am kind of stumped about how to access and clean the tracks, is there a write up about this? Or just unbolt the whole thing and drop it down to access the tracks?

I googled and searched this site plenty with no real information, thanks!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I'd start easy, but obviously you know how to at least remove and hopefully replace the headliner, so you have access to the rear drain lines at this point. Why not try unclamping the hose at the two rear corners and make sure that the lines are clean, plus see if you can vacuum any debris out of the tracks from there? The front drains are under the front part of the headliner still installed. I'd suggest doing the same thing there. You can alternate compressed air and vacuum or use both simultaneously to get a lot out, I'd guess. Keep in mind that the sunroof itself will always leak, it's the drains that will channel that water away and you'll never be able to totally seal the panel unless you caulk it shut permanently. Other than that, I don't really know how you'd go about cleaning out the whole thing without taking it out, but it might not be as bad as I always thought it would be. The thing is just huge, is all.

John B.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
  1. SD, what solution, if any did you come up with? Please advise... we're almost ready to remove the whole assembly - to replace the cables...

SD_Montero

Observer
  1. SD, what solution, if any did you come up with? Please advise... we're almost ready to remove the whole assembly - to replace the cables...
Sorry just saw this. I got it working a little bit better with just tons of sprayable white grease I got from Home cheapo. I got an extra motor from the junk yard I might put in to see if it's a little bit more powerful (or less) . I couldn't figure out how to properly clean it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PacS14

Adventurer
I usually clean the tracks by opening the sunroof first, then I stand on the second row seat and through the sunroof and go at it with multiple brushes, vacuum any debris, or wipe off any old grease, and finally use silicone lubricant on the tracks. The drains I just hit them up with compressed air, so far it has done the trick.

The biggest problem for me has been old grease becoming almost solid, I know there is a spray can that they sell at hobby shops I forgot what it is that pretty much dilutes thick grease and is not expensive, I used it when I rebuild a fan clutch for my old Toyota T100.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
We have removed, serviced, and reinstalled two [2] sunroof assemblies in the past month...

If you are going to service the sunroof you MUST remove it, entirely!

Anything less is simply not going to result in a satisfactory outcome.

It is a lot less difficult than people may believe!

It is extremely gratifying when it gets put back in!

Notes:
1] Remove the Glass Sunroof, before you reinstall the Sunroof Housing... reinstall the glass AFTER the assembly is completely bolted back in place, AND the rearward-most attaching brackets [for the glass] are fully pushed forward.
2] Do not place the motor back in place until the Sunroof Glass is completely bolted back in place - and seated properly.
3] Rarely, if ever, will the motor break...
4] It takes extreme abuse/ neglect to break the Guide Cables...
5] ONLY use the correct lubricant... get the REAL lubricant... pay the PRICE required...
6] You will likely never have to do this job again...

Any questions?
PM on FB...
I will be glad to assist...

Wm.

Take a look

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1524789904446511/permalink/1988461241412706/?hc_location=ufi

https://www.facebook.com/wmf.coleman/posts/1992079727717524:9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles