8k-9.5k winch best bang 4 buck???

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Superwinch Talon 9.5 is hands down the best 9.5/10k winch out there and also happens to be at a great price point.

downhill

Adventurer
You could also buy 2 Hyundais for the price of one Toyota or 10 Huffys for the price of on Giant bicycle.

I was looking at it more from a reliability standpoint, than a "value" standpoint. If I have two winches on board, what are the chances I will need one and not have one? For the money, how much reliability am I getting? Most arguments for the better winches center around reliability, unless you are in competition and need certain features. Most of us just need a winch that works when we need it. I have had high dollar winches and cheaper ones over the 40+ years I have been doing this. What I have found is that the winch that works, is the one that gets maintained, regardless of initial quality. I have yet to see any winch, regardless of price come with good grease in the gear box. That sours me. Some of the really cheap ones that have had bad motors are a problem, but The Smitty has had very good reviews. Mine has been fine.

hovenator

Explorer
My "best bang for the buck" question is centered around the best reliable winch NOT at a premium price. If it's Warn, Smittybilt, Comeup, Viking, Superwinch.....whatever. Just looking for opinions as I am a novice winch user looking for a great first winch on my Frontier. Quality doesn't have to mean premium price!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Like I say, it's an individual set of criteria. I place a high value on things like customer service and parts availability. I don't think there's been a low profile winch in production longer than the M8000 nor a better company to work with than Warn. I never said it was the cheapest or that other ones won't work. But the near and long term risk of a bad experience is very low with the M8000.

Happykamper

Explorer
I love it!!! Yep Warn has been around for a very long time ! And I own a couple of there winches and a few other items. But now that I have used the Smittybilt for quite awhile and always has done what I've asked off it :). I'm just not inclined to buy Warns press as the absolute end to end all's !!! Yep they have my money and the winches are good, but what I save on the Smitty's , and as already stated they do the job perfectly for me, I can spend on more fun stuff!!

Like.........:)

JandDGreens

Adventurer
When I win the lottery I'll pony-up for the very best money can buy. But for now my Smitty Built has served me well. In fact I have purchased several Smitty-Built Products and have been very happy with my purchases. Especially My compressor. It is a beast.

downhill

Adventurer
Along the lines of where to put the extra money, how about an extra 100 feet of synthetic line, and other valuable recovery aids? I carry that line for those times when extra reach is really handy. The line on the spool seems like a lot, but having a longer reach allows the use of double line more often, and often allows a straighter pull.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I agree, synthetic line is a significant improvement in function and safety. I worry about long term UV damage but that's just my unfamiliarity with it. I have the blue Amsteel/Dyneema stuff that is supposedly fairly UV resistant. Totally on board with budgeting enough for the whole system, pulley, shackles, etc. It's not an insignificant investment to do it right.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I worry about long term UV damage but that's just my unfamiliarity with it.
It's more than lack of familiarity. UV damage over time is very real. Synthetic line also loses strength as its temperature increases. Lots of scientific and industrial data to confirm that.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
If you have any questions about our winches, feel free to ask or PM me.

FYI, the M8000 does come out of our Clackamas facility. Only our VR winches are made in China. But don't underestimate our VR. It's still great winch. Still designed, engineered, and tested by us. It's not just another generic winch with our name on it. It's a WARN.

Andy

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The Superwinch X9 has served its purpose without drama for years.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've really not had bad luck with those harbor freight badlands (?) winches. I've not used one on a vehicle yet, but have used a couple on equipment trailers and they've performed well. I'm not a hard core wheeler likely to use my winch a bunch so odds are I'll opt for one when I get around to sticking one on my van. They have a 16K model that looks pretty stout and considering my van clocks in at over 5-ton on a daily basis it's probably the way to go. One and a half times your rolling weight is the number I always went by.

hovenator

Explorer
Gotta love Superwinch! That's a smokin' deal on a Talon 9.5..... I have read (not sure if it's true) that synthetic line can't be spooled on the X9? I can get a screaming deal on one locally, but really want to run synthetic for the weight savings. UV won't be as much of an issue as the winch will be hidden in my factory bumper. I also plan to run a safety thimble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles