8k-9.5k winch best bang 4 buck???

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I have read (not sure if it's true) that synthetic line can't be spooled on the X9?

Superwinch does not recommend using a synthetic line on the X9.
Synthetic line is great, but not a deal breaker...IMHO.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Usually it has to do with heat buildup in the drum from the brake, but synthetic line can also generate greater crushing force on a winch drum as it tightens under load (think slip knot).

Regardless, the Talon is the bang for the buck winner at under 700 delivered and has an external brake which completely disengages for true freespool (and no heat buildup). The only other winch that has similar functionality is the Warn 8274 at twice the cost.

Look at line speed also, my Talon 12.5 is about twice as fast as any other 12k winch and faster than nearly any 9k winch except the super high end Warns or boutique offerings.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Usually it has to do with heat buildup in the drum from the brake, but synthetic line can also generate greater crushing force on a winch drum as it tightens under load (think slip knot).

Regardless, the Talon is the bang for the buck winner at under 700 delivered and has an external brake which completely disengages for true freespool (and no heat buildup). The only other winch that has similar functionality is the Warn 8274 at twice the cost.

Look at line speed also, my Talon 12.5 is about twice as fast as any other 12k winch and faster than nearly any 9k winch except the super high end Warns or boutique offerings.

Superwinch product is a great bang for the buck!
I went with the X9 due to an outrageously persuasive discount.

hovenator

Explorer
Definitely beginning to lean towards the Superwinch camp. My favorite to begin with.....

Out of curiosity, anybody here running their Tigershark series winch?

Im fairly new but have tried hard to read the past threads on winches. Lots of people have seem to have strong brand loyalties but I have not been able to uncover any consumer reports or reliability studies on any winches. I'm curious if anyone else has seen any objective research?

Box Rocket

That's a fairly outdated article since there are a number of new winches on the market since then and improvements made to made of the ones even in the article. So use it as a data point but not an end-all-be-all for winch comparisons.
From my personal experience with different winches, the two stand-outs in terms of quality and reliability are ComeUp and Warn. I've just seen a higher failure rate with other brands. Sure there are environmental factors and individual use conditions at play, but it's another data point for me that I believe reflects a good cross-section of what's available.
I have a ComeUp winch and we have a trip planned at the end of April where we'll be testing a few different types of products and winches will be one of them. It won't be a comprehensive test of all winches but a review of the different ones we have in the group which should include the major players. I'll share our findings when we're back.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Well, here's our newly redesigned VR8-S winch.

VR8-S_002-N.jpg

WARN VR8-S
$669.99 from many vendors
8,000 lb. capacity
Albright contactor control
Tie plate (vs. tie rods) for increased structural rigidity
90' of 3/8" synthetic rope w/heat sleeve
Convertible control pack
Best-in-class cone brake holds full-rated load
Limited lifetime warranty on mechanical, 7 year warranty on electrical (best standard electrical warranty in the biz).
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/vr8-s.jsp

VR10-S gets the same features, 10,000 lb. capacity, $769.99 from most vendors.
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/vr10-S.jsp

Andy

hovenator

Explorer
The new Warn VR8-S is very nice and a good price point.

BUT, I love that new Superwinch EXP!

The decision process just keeps getting harder. Sounds to me like it comes down to personal preference and your wallet. How much are you willing to fork over for the features you want........

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, anybody here running their Tigershark series winch?

I run the Tigershark 9500 on my XJ, and I have had great luck with it. The fit and finish is good, and has held up well for the couple years that I have used it. The controller seems well built as does the engagement lever on the winch. Line speeds are not the fastest but are acceptable for my needs and it has pulled without hesitation. I would buy another one.

Bighorns 3.jpg

IMG_5522.JPG

Last edited:

hovenator

Explorer
My neighbor has a Smitty 9.5 and was using it to pull logs and such while clearing some of his acreage. It pulled everything he hooked it to without hesitation....its mounted to a Jeep Liberty! I am really leaning towards this winch now.

COMEUP

Supporting Sponsor - COMEUP Winches
COMEUP Seal Gen2 9.5rs

•12V DC severe duty winch rated at 9,500 lb pulling meets or exceeds expectations.
•Heavy duty series wound motor equipped with thermal switch alters when motor over-heating.
•4 equally positioned pin holes with a stainless steel ergonomic T-handle make it possible to clock in 90 degree Increments.
•Water-proof remote control with thermometric LED indicator w/5 m cord
•Tough aluminum die cast housings withstand strength of 2.0 x rated load of winch
•The U.S. Germany, U.K. France, etc patented mechanical cone brake outside the drum expedites heat dispersion. The greater the load on the rope, the greater amount of braking is generated by the mechanism.
•Meet SAE J706, CE Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC and CE Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive 2004/108/EC.
Specs:
Rated Line Pull: 9,500 lbs (4,309 kg) single line
Motor: 5.0 hp / 3,730 w 12V Series Wound
Gear Ratio: 3-Stage Planetary 159:1
Clutch: (freespooling) Rotating Ring Gear
Brake: (outside the drum) Automatic, full load CBS (Cone Brake Structure) Patentend Cone Brake system
Winch Construction: Aluminum Die Cast Housing with Steel Drum
Drum Size: 2.5" x 9" (63.5 x 228 mm)
Control: Both built-in digital two way signal wireless remote control and waterproof remote with thermometric indicator LED w/17' (5 m) cord
Rope Type: Synthetic Rope SK-75
Rope Size: 3/8" x 100' (10 mm x 30.5 m)
Mounting Bolt Pattern: 10" x 4.5" (254 x 114 mm)
Winch Weight: 61.7 lb (28 kg)
Gross Weight: 89.1 lb (40.5 kg)
Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty for mechanical components, Five (5) year extended warranty for electrical components (in addition to standard 2 year warranty)
Speed and power where it counts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles