Crippled LR4 in NorCal: Searching for 5.0 V8 Longblock

NorCal80

Hello folks, first post here. A little backstory of my 3 month journey. I recently got rid of a 1994 Toyota LC that had 119k original miles and pretty clean. I wanted something smoother, quieter, more safety features since I do have a large herd, but still a capable rig to get off the beaten path when I want to go get lost in the Sierras.

After narrowing it down to a 2010/11 LR4, I was on the hunt for throughout Northern California and the Southwest. Late one night, I came across a fresh post on CL. 2011 LR4 HSE, one owner, California car, sitting crippled in the garage for the past two months after throwing a rod. Two holes in the lower block on passenger side. Car looked good besides a few cosmetic issues. I made a few calls and of she was to her new home.

The sad car is sitting crippled in my yard while I look for a replacement motor with under 60k on the clock. I've called a few of the dismantling yards and have gotten figures of 9-11k for a motor. Been thinking of using my buddies auction access to some of the insurance auctions to find a wrecked LR4; which there are 7 of on the West coast right now. Some with 6k on the motors.

Anyway, I thought I'd lean on the Rover community here to find out whether any of you had a line on anyone with a low mileage 5.0 V8 to get this Rover out in the mountains again. I am apprehensive of rebuilt motors as I am unsure how many miles are on the block, and the quality of the rebuild. Even with a warranty. Ideas and leads greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
You may have tried already:

>copart auctions has a few lots, the one in Martinez has rovers for example
>Justin at British Recyclers might have a line on a few possible candidates. Try giving them a call.

Best of luck

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Once you get the replacement motor, I would recommend installing new timing chain tensioners and guides, as well as a new water pump. These are very common problems and it will be easier to do with it out of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke