G Wagon rolling resto project

Newgee

Hi everyone! Just setting this up for when I have questions..
I Finally decided to enter the world of Mercedes G wagons by obtaining a 1985 4 door 300gd with low mileage through a friend of a friend. Idea for it is a winter 4x4 that when properly restored can be driven daily. It has no title (ugh) presently but I'm working on that. Anyone know a lot about titling btw!!?? Pm me on that I don't want to get into specifics here. It also has no engine (I was told the original was an Africa specific 4 that was different than the Us 4's - no clue on the validity of this btw) I've been given an Om617 turbo that I'll install in its place. Original auto trans and transfer case is present. Truck is original otherwise with a plaid interior and silver paint. Frame is good, body rough with minor spots of rot that I will fix later. Its been sitting for 10 years so I suspect the wiring and rubber bits will need a proper going over. A lot of work to be done but titling and engine are step 1 and 2. That's it for now, with more to come when I get it home!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
First - what is your location? Titling it can range from easy to crazy depending on the state. You might need to even go through a state like Maine to get one. If you are thinking diesel then hopefully you aren't in CA.

Rot in Gwagens can get expensive to properly fix. Maybe post some photos?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles