Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 tires

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
ashooter said:
I have no experience with the Bighorns, but my E Load Range LT265/75R16 Bridgestone A/T Revos stand 30.25" with 40 lbs air pressure on my FJ80 Land Cruiser while the unloaded published diameter is 31.8". I would imagine the Maxxis would be closer to 32.5" loaded.

True, but the diameter -- what the engine has to turn -- is unchanged whether it is loaded or not.

JJackson

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
Can someone else confirm that? Maxxis lists the size as 33.1. I can barely run a 32.4, but 33.1 is too big.

I did not measure mine accuratly but they appear to be a little under 33. Possilby a little larger than 32.8 on a stock tacoma rim.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Bighorn Flex Pics @ 13-psi

Here are a few shots of me working the Bighorns a little last Sunday on a very short trail ride with a buddy. Vehicle is my 2006 V8 4Runner with lots of armor. The car weighs 5,500-lbs as seen in the pictures (plus driver), and is very close to 50/50 weight distribution.

Left-Front

FBighorn13-psi.jpg

Right-Rear from the rear

R13-psifromrear.jpg

Right-Rear from the front

R13-psifromfront.jpg

After returning I noticed this sidewall cut on the Left-Rear that is about 1 3/4" long and about 1/8" deep in the center/at it deepest point. I have yet to take it to my tire dealer to see if they are going to give me a new one. On the phone they have told me that if there is no bulge or cord showing then it should be fine and they probably will not adjust the tire. We shall see. This is how the slit looks when it is under load at the bottom, 6-o’clock position. When the cut is not on the loaded part of the tire it doesn't separate and is harder to see. Maybe I shouldn't have mounted the Toyo MTs on the F350? ☺

BighornSidewallcut.jpg

Last edited:

spray

Observer
I have Maxxis MT-753 (235/85x16) and they are a very good tyre, I have travelled a little over 15000km's on them without issue. I drive alot of stoney ground and they do not chip or pick up stones in the tread:D My next set will be another set of Maxxis

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Maxxis.com

Maxxis has recently improved their website. It’s easier to navigate, even lets you search by size. It was pretty clunky before.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I had my tire shop take a look at this sidewall cut and I looked at it more closely in sunlight. The cut is not too deep, no cord or anything when prying it open to peek inside. They think it's fine and I do too. We'll run it.

BighornSidewallcut.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Max Grip slide control from Maxxis Bighorns

Yesterday morning a friend I were out having a short navigation/communication training session for the upcoming Nevada Trophy. There will be plenty of faster dirt road driving during the NV Trophy so ultra low tire PSI will be avoided. The 4Runner was not loaded, just regular wet-weight and us two, about 5,900-lbs gross. I set the tires to 23.0-psi, my thinking is that somewhere around 25-psi should work well for faster dirt driving.

We were on our way home on a good dirt road with some mild turns, slight downhill going about 40-mph, center diff locked (normal 4WD). I was driving slightly fast (not race fast), and we were discussing the upcoming competition.

I let the car get too close to the right edge of the road while straightening out the turns and drove slightly into the ditch (too much talking and not enough driving). I felt the right-front tire pulling us into this 'edge trap'. I was able to add steering correction to the left and drive the car back to the center of the road. The car drifted a bit left, I steering into the slide and powered through the drift as we slid a few feet left, and then forward out of the drift. There was only a slight rear fishtail (rear anti-roll bar was off at the time).

After the first steering correction I continued talking to my friend because I had control of the car, and I talked him/myself through the maneuvers. He and I have driven/ridden together enough that he's confident in my abilities; not that I don't make mistakes!

Surely the set-up of the car, about 50/50 weight split, makes it handle very well, and I did my part. But an extra ten MPH on the same road would have made the correction/recovery less likely :) All that said the Bighorns were there for me, gripping and pulling forward through the slide as I tipped into the throttle. I was impressed and have another positive experience to add to the Bighorn file. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

JJackson

Explorer
I can't remeber who or in which post but someone asked me to post a pic of how the fit was for the 255 bighorns on a taco. 2" Alcan springs with center pin moved forward 1/2"

hoser

Explorer
Just looked and found this tire is available in the tall (35") and relatively skinny 285/75-18

285/75R18 129Q 10 OWL 35.1" 11.30 80 4,080 lbs 8.00 19/32 depth

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Redline said:
I had my tire shop take a look at this sidewall cut and I looked at it more closely in sunlight. The cut is not too deep, no cord or anything when prying it open to peek inside. They think it's fine and I do too. We'll run it.

BighornSidewallcut.jpg

My Bighorns have a ton of cuts like that....and have had them for quite a while without issues....I neesd to take pictures of my tire's cuts and chunking to post up here....

That said, they have never letme down and they have lived a hard life.....I planon getting another set

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. If they can take a few facial cuts and keep slugging I want to keep running them. During my first 5,000-miles of use I have been impressed with their balance, ride, and grip. Their ruggedness is still being proven and evaluated. The Bighorn is clearly a good tire. If one considers ‘bang for the buck’ it might even be a great tire.

IntrepidXJ said:
My Bighorns have a ton of cuts like that....and have had them for quite a while without issues....I neesd to take pictures of my tire's cuts and chunking to post up here....

That said, they have never letme down and they have lived a hard life.....I planon getting another set

bomar

Adventurer
Anybody found a great place to buy these online?

I had a place in AR but now I can't find them on ebay.

Looking for 255/85/16.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Both sets of mine came from Burgess Tire? I think their eBay name was something similar burgesstire? Good luck!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Try This

http://www.unsertire.com/Custom/Product/MaxxisBighorn762.aspx

I don't know if this is a "great" place to buy them online, as I have never purchased anything from Unser Tire. But the price for a 255/85 is $1.00 less than I pay locally (and I get a discount) and shipping is free in the lower 48 states.

Glad to see you want the LT255/85R16 size :)

Redline

P.S. Welcome to the Expedition Portal.

bomar said:
Anybody found a great place to buy these online?

I had a place in AR but now I can't find them on ebay.

Looking for 255/85/16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94