Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 tires

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What are they going on, your 88 FJ62?

bomar said:
Anybody found a great place to buy these online?

I had a place in AR but now I can't find them on ebay.

Looking for 255/85/16.

bomar

Adventurer
Redline said:
What are they going on, your 88 FJ62?

Yep. I have 265/75 BFG AT and they are good tires but looking for a tire to clean out if I get in some mud. There is alot of muddy trails around here that I get stuck b/c my tires are full.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Though I have yet to really use them in mud, I think looking at the Bighorns for this purpose is a good idea.

bomar said:
Yep. I have 265/75 BFG AT and they are good tires but looking for a tire to clean out if I get in some mud. There is alot of muddy trails around here that I get stuck b/c my tires are full.

bomar

Adventurer
Redline said:
Though I have yet to really use them in mud, I think looking at the Bighorns for this purpose is a good idea.

I hope so. I want you to keep a good long log on v8 4Runner b/c I think that
I will be buying one soon to drive daily and be able to tow a camper/trailer.

I need more power than the 62 but I am not going to replace the 3FE until it dies and she is still young at 145k.

Will post some pics if/when I get the tires.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Only good things to say about the Maxxis Bighorn. I have had mine now for about 9 months and probably 10K miles. Wear seems good. They have taken some abuse and held up well. They are growing a bit louder as the miles pass, but nothing I can't get used to.

Great tire for the price.

JJackson

Explorer
bomar said:
Anybody found a great place to buy these online?

I had a place in AR but now I can't find them on ebay.

Looking for 255/85/16.

That is Patriot Tire in AR. I found mine at a trailer place in NM, they were a little more than the price I found at Patriot, but they did not have any more there (at Patriot).

Wanderlusty

Explorer
JJackson said:
That is Patriot Tire in AR. I found mine at a trailer place in NM, they were a little more than the price I found at Patriot, but they did not have any more there (at Patriot).

CC Burgess Tire is in AR as well, and that is where I got mine. Don't know if they still carry them....or are even in business? Despite living in AR, I got 'em in the mail....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I keep track of the miles and stay on top of my rotations to give the tires a chance even though they often see plenty of off-road use. I log the miles when I take one set of tires off and put another on. I have one less set of 255s in my shop as a few days ago I sold my BFG MTs to a friend for his F350.

Unless I go back to the Toyo MT, I've pretty much settled on the Bighorns as my main off-highway tire until they are half worn and ready to either become spares or are sold.

My right-front did just get about 100-miles of unhealthy wear because my camber was far out of adjustment after the right adjustable upper ball joint slipped on a trial ride this past Saturday. It looks to have rounded the outer lugs a bit but a rotation should help clean it up.

SPCBallJointCamberslipIMG_0316.jpg

bomar said:
I hope so. I want you to keep a good long log on v8 4Runner b/c I think that
I will be buying one soon to drive daily and be able to tow a camper/trailer.

I need more power than the 62 but I am not going to replace the 3FE until it dies and she is still young at 145k.

Will post some pics if/when I get the tires.

Last edited:

vengeful

Explorer
I love this forum, and I hate this forum.

I love this forum because everybody contributes with very useful, purposeful posts, that are informative, illustrative, and entertaining. I could, and sometimes do, spend all day sitting in front of my computer reading through the gold-mine that this place is. :roost:

I hate this forum because of all of the informative, illustrative and entertaining posts recommend that I should buy stuff. Stuff that I need. Stuff that I don't need. Stuff that I have practically zero potential use for, but think is really cool and want really bad. You guys make me feel like a kid at Christmas planning out my next build--when I have money again (going through a "tight spot" now. :( )

Actually, let me rephrase. My Visa Card hates this forum.

----------------------------

Now that that's out of the way. Thanks to this thread, and some first hand reviews from friends, I am just about completely sold on the Bighorns, provided I go with a Mud Tire. When I get my next rig, I'm 99% going to use a 255/85R16 tire, because I prefer a narrower tire for street driving, and like the height of a 33" tire.

Thank you ExPo, for spending more money I don't have. :snorkel:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
6,300-mile Wear Update

My 255/85R16 Bighorns now have 6,300 miles on them. Three have 16/32" of tread, one is still 17/32". My wear rate is currently 1/32" per 2,000-miles.

The 255/85 Bighorn starts with 19/32" of tread, so the usable tread depth is 17/32" before they reach the minimum legal depth of 2/32" (I would never run them that low). Using my wear rate of 2k per 1/32" the tires will reach their minimum legal tread depth at 34,000-miles. I'm rounding my numbers here. If the wear stays exactly the same and all my numbers are correct (6,300-miles for 3/32" of wear) then the Bighorns could make it to 35,700-mi. before reaching 2/32" of remaining tread on my heavy 4Runner.

This is maybe a little less that Ursidae69's worn-out at 40k, but similar and on a different platform. I think this rate of wear is fine. The tires grip, are aggressive, and a good value.

Last edited:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Would 16x8 wheels be too wide to run these tyres? especially when aired down?

And in those pics posted earlier, they were 16x7 factory wheels were they not? what offset are these 16x7's?

How much of a difference is it when going from 285's....to 255's.....can you really feel it that much?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have run a lot of 255/85r16 tires on Jeep 16x8 wheels without issue.

I don't know which 16x7 wheels you are referring to, but my stock 16x7 4Runner wheels work fine with 255/85.

Hilux_Max said:
Would 16x8 wheels be too wide to run these tyres? especially when aired down?

And in those pics posted earlier, they were 16x7 factory wheels were they not? what offset are these 16x7's?

How much of a difference is it when going from 285's....to 255's.....can you really feel it that much?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne