Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 tires

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm starting a new thread specifically for the Maxxis BIGHORN tread as I think they deserve it. While there are a few good threads with lots of info about the Bighorns in them (Ursidae69/Chuck's), they don't have "Bighorn" in the title and are not necessarily easy to locate in a search. This doesn't mean that 'other' tire info and comparisons shouldn't be posted here, it would just be nice if most of it related somewhat to the Bighorns. Post Up :)

My Bighorns have a little bit of chunking, but they have been siped and have been worked off-road a few times. Soft enough to grip well then soft enough to get a little chunking too, this is acceptable to me. I have even seen the 'chip resistant' Toyos chip a little.

I just added up the miles on my LT255/85R16 Bighorns: 5,184-mi. Many miles pulling the Chaser and plenty off-highway. New 255/85 Bighorns have 19/32 of tread. All four of my Bighorns have 17/32 of tread remaining measured in the centers. If they continue to wear at this approx. rate of 2/32 every 5k then at 20k they will be about 1/2 worn. I agree with BajaTaco and others that wearing down tires to about half their tread is a good rule of thumb for maintaining maximum traction.

As noted in a Toyo MT tire thread, I recently purchased a set of Toyo MTs in the new size of 255/85R16E. They are pulling to the right on my 4Runner and will be replaced. In addition to the option of just having the Toyos replaced with another set of Open Country MTs, I'm considering returning them and getting more Bighorns. I can get almost six Bighorns for the price of four Toyo MTs. I prefer the softer ride and better flexibility of the Bighorns over the stiff Toyos. The Toyos are surely tougher, but I'm not sure I need this toughness, particularly on the 4Runner. On the F350? Sure, but the F350 gets the 255/85 hand-me-downs. (Update-The Toyos 255/85R16 were put on the F350 and the steering was repaired, no pulling with the Toyo MTs)

If I do decide to trade for more Bighorns I have a couple extra decisions to make:

1] Pull the current set of 'siped' Bighorns from the Toyota and put them on the F350, with the 4 new Bighorns going to the 4Runner and 2 on the Chaser.

2] Keep the Current 2/32 worn siped Bighorns mounted and mount the new Bighorns on the spare wheels, having them studded for Winter (and maybe siped too). I have never run a studded tire and it might be a good idea to try some.

3] Continue to wear my current set of ‘Horns and save the new ones until after the 5k used ones are further worn.

4] ???????????????

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
My Maxxis tires have approximately 40k on them and they are in dire need of replacement. I do not have the measurements, but there is little tread left. I have a new set of KMs sitting in the shed waiting to be installed when I have time. I liked the Maxxis tires just fine and only went with KMs because I found a set of 5 for cheap that are like-new. My decision was solely financial. The Maxxis are chunking a little in the last 10k miles after they were pretty worn. Overall, I was happy with the Maxxis and would recommend them.

JJackson

Explorer
So far I like my Bighorns (255 85 16) not to noisy on the road for a MT. Have not had a chance to wheel with them off road. I did put the lift springs back in the other night so I should be out palying this weekend, and I think there might even be some mud around.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've run a couple sets of Bighorns, both on lighter trucks (96' & 04' Tacoma). Excellent tire overall, my one complaint is the wear, minor complaint at that. They seem to be wearing slightly faster than say a BFG AT. Given the more aggressive tread, not unreasonable at all. I've even considered them for my Land Cruiser too!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
My tread wear seems to be almost the same as Chuck's. I'm calculating my Bighorns will be about 1/2 worn at 20k, Chuck's are 'gone' at 40k. We are also driving similar vehicles, Toyotas, though I assume my 4Runner may be a bit heavier than his pickup.

While longer tread life is always welcomed, I like the grip of my Bighorns and will sacrifice traction for wear if that is a necessary trade. Of all the traction tires I have used in recent months my 4Runner really seems to prefer and drive well with the Maxxis Bighorn 255s. This includes some pretty stiff competition like Toyo Open Country MT. No dig on the other tires, just that on this car, the way it is currently set-up, the Bighorns seem to work very well.

cruiseroutfit said:
I've run a couple sets of Bighorns, both on lighter trucks (96' & 04' Tacoma). Excellent tire overall, my one complaint is the wear, minor complaint at that. They seem to be wearing slightly faster than say a BFG AT. Given the more aggressive tread, not unreasonable at all. I've even considered them for my Land Cruiser too!

JeffWA

I had bighorns on my surf (4runner) in 32" 11.5 R15's and it was a heavy vehicle because of all the extras. I found the wear to be quite reasonable and I LOVED the tyre, in fact I'm upset that I've changed to Micky Thompsons on the new truck as I'm not very happy with them in a number of ways, my next set will be another set of Bighorns. :bowdown:

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I sold my Bighorns last night. I'm taking them off this morning.
What's going on in their place? A new set of bighorns!

I have a spare set of six Bighorns standing in the garage but the current set were wearing so slowly that i felt that it was a waste to have the spares hogging space so decided to sell the used ones and fit the new set.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Even when you have lots of tread remaining there is nothing like having 'band new' deep treaded tries on a 4x4. :luxhello:

Maxxis Bighorns are good tires and the price is right compared to many others that are well over $200.00. This is probably partially because the tires are made in Taiwan & Thailand. My discounted price at my local Les Schwab for a Bighorn is $174.00 in LT255/85R16D. Compare that to $252.00 for a Toyo MT in 255/85 (retail is $280+). That's almost 3 Bighorns for two Toyos.

Spikepretorius said:
I sold my Bighorns last night. I'm taking them off this morning.
What's going on in their place? A new set of bighorns!

I have a spare set of six Bighorns standing in the garage but the current set were wearing so slowly that i felt that it was a waste to have the spares hogging space so decided to sell the used ones and fit the new set.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I think that 40k miles for a set of MT tires is a reasonable lifecycle, especially at the price you pay for Bighorns

Loudness: definitely louder than BFG KO's, but not bad
Size: My 255/85's have around 5k miles, and measure around 32.4 diameter.
Price: Got mine slightly used, but I've seen internet pricing at $159 / tire shipped
Off-road: I've seen a bit of chunking already, but traction is otherwise very good in rock and loose dirt. No mud or slickrock experience yet.

I'm running them on my FJ40 with a 2.5" OME lift, and very happy so far. I've rubbed the front fender ever so slightly (cleared away some unnecessary rust!), but otherwise clearance is good. I'll be tempted in the next 12 months to rotate these over to my Tacoma, but we'll see. I'm sure the urge to test the new KM2's in 255/85 will be powerful when they come out.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Jacket said:
Size: My 255/85's have around 5k miles, and measure around 32.4 diameter.

Can someone else confirm that? Maxxis lists the size as 33.1. I can barely run a 32.4, but 33.1 is too big.

ashooter

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
Can someone else confirm that? Maxxis lists the size as 33.1. I can barely run a 32.4, but 33.1 is too big.

I have no experience with the Bighorns, but my E Load Range LT265/75R16 Bridgestone A/T Revos stand 30.25" with 40 lbs air pressure on my FJ80 Land Cruiser while the unloaded published diameter is 31.8". I would imagine the Maxxis would be closer to 32.5" loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier