Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 tires

owyheerat

Adventurer
Bump...I am looking for a new set of 255/85r16 tires and the bighorns keep popping into the picture. Reviews are all over the place: good sidewall, bad sidewall, loud as heck, not too loud...not sure what to think. The only consensus I can find is that they are sticky on rocks, which is good for me in NH, and they wear fast. Oh yeah, and they are cheaper...

Any recent opinions?

Sean

Not sure if you've already purchased new tires yet. If not, I will chime in with my opinion and experience of the Maxxis Bighorn MT in 255/85r16.

I own a 99 4runner with 4 banger and 5 speed tranny. I have run the Bighorn's for almost a year, but only put about 6k on them. This is not my DD. They have performed well in all environs I have had them in, with the exception of wet rocks, and hard packed snow. They are without a doubt the loudest tire I have used, but also the most aggressive tread pattern. They are wearing evenly, but fairly quickly. I would guess they have 3/4 of their original tread left. I live in an area with lots of (sharp) rocks, and they have held up very well IMO. No cuts, chunking or punctures. They do wonder quit badly on asphalt, but I have removed my front sway bar.

I chose these over (the very few) other options offered in this size, because they were the lightest, and the least expensive. The old saying, "you get what you pay for" applies here IMO. They have done OK, and have never left me stranded, but when it comes time to replace them, I don't think I will buy a second set.

I hope this is of some help.

Good luck on your decision (if not made yet), and please update us as to what you decide.

Durwin

ecgreen

Thanks Durwin, nice honest feedback. If I had to order today it would probably be Cooper ST Maxx. I'll toture myself for a little while longer until I decide...lol Keep y ou posted.

owyheerat

Adventurer
Thanks Durwin, nice honest feedback. If I had to order today it would probably be Cooper ST Maxx. I'll toture myself for a little while longer until I decide...lol Keep y ou posted.

Did you make your purchase yet? If so, what did you decide to go with?

ecgreen

Did you make your purchase yet? If so, what did you decide to go with?

Just now I ordered 5 Cooper St Maxx 255/85r16. At least with this tire, I 100% sure of what I am getting. Tire selection is always a compromise. I wish the Maxx was a bit more aggressive, but the up side is they are a very consistent tire.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well I should chime in hear

I ran 315-75-16 big horns on my Super Duty 8800 lbs daily and managed to get 36000 out of them.

I usually get 30-40 out of most any tire even gotten 32000 on super swampers

my rotation schedule I'd every time I drive. This set might have gotten rotated nonce during a 4 wheel brake job and that would have been by accident. I am a mechanic by trade my truck is dead last.

I will be picking up a new set. I seriously considered the duratrack this go around but with the mud I end up in hunting I just went with what I knew worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke