Dual Cab Air Conditioning

fg4oz

Adventurer
I've just bought a 2007 fg649 dual cab, and we have had some stinking hot days lately. I've noticed (more from passengers I the back) that the air con does not go that well on hot days plus the added heat from the engine underneath. Could it just be the air con unit in the truck or does everyone have the same issue? Has anyone upgraded their air con to flow to the rear passengers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerry

Expedition Leader
Not sure about the Aussie trucks but US single cab trucks have a rubber flap hanging down in front of the AC condenser. On speeds above 40 mph or so, this flap causes the condenser to be ineffective and the AC can't keep up on a warm day. I just tucked the flap up behind the bumper and now we can stay cool.

gait

Explorer
on 2005 FG649 single cab I recently .....
cleaned condenser
cleaned blower fan
replaced blower motor (second hand from Mitsubishi Lancer with minimal modification to screw holes)
regassed and one part replaced
tightened compressor belt
cleaned gauze filter which was a bit clogged up
ran water through the evaporator to clean out the dust that got past the filter and turned to mud
aligned duct with dashboard outlet on passenger (left) side
removed outside front panel that covers inlet and will make front facing 150x100mm grill (original 15x100mm is inadequate)

it works at least 100% better than it used to .............. I don't know 100% of what. :)

a long time ago condenser was moved from under wheel arch to under center, I don't know the effect on air flow.

I'll probably add a small computer fan in the passenger air duct just before the outlet.
I occasionally look for an external shade for the windscreen.
One day I'll insulate (heat and sound).

At the end of all that the system is inadequate for something with such a large angled windscreen. It works better travelling west.

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
Reading the opinions on here over time, no one seems happy with dual cab factory aircon.
On my truck, it came with a separate evaporator for the rear occupants, which now I have it all working again works great. Can either have front aircon only , or both front and rear, makes no difference to the performance of the unit and keeps everyone happy.

Rear evaporator

Old condenser mounted to rear of cab, (look part way down page for pic) http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/157570-1996-FG-639-dual-cab-tidy-up/page2 ,note original condenser in front of vehicle is removed with this remote setup, original evaporator under dash remains to supply the air for the front of the cab.

Roof mounted condenser, works brilliantly, purchased from this nice bloke http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rooftop-...806448?hash=item3cdb91d970:g:rYQAAMXQHO9RcOOn

You could use something like this with a bit of imagination I reckon it might work
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/war...ercedes-benz-sprinter-ex-ambulance/1138713731

Insulating the cab properly will also go some way to fixing the situation, mine has the combination of all the above and works well, and no you can't have it:sombrero:
Good Luck
Dave

fg4oz

Adventurer
Reading the opinions on here over time, no one seems happy with dual cab factory aircon.
On my truck, it came with a separate evaporator for the rear occupants, which now I have it all working again works great. Can either have front aircon only , or both front and rear, makes no difference to the performance of the unit and keeps everyone happy.

Rear evaporator

Old condenser mounted to rear of cab, (look part way down page for pic) http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/157570-1996-FG-639-dual-cab-tidy-up/page2 ,note original condenser in front of vehicle is removed with this remote setup, original evaporator under dash remains to supply the air for the front of the cab.

Roof mounted condenser, works brilliantly, purchased from this nice bloke http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rooftop-...806448?hash=item3cdb91d970:g:rYQAAMXQHO9RcOOn

You could use something like this with a bit of imagination I reckon it might work
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/war...ercedes-benz-sprinter-ex-ambulance/1138713731

Insulating the cab properly will also go some way to fixing the situation, mine has the combination of all the above and works well, and no you can't have it:sombrero:
Good Luck
Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes the insulation seems like a must.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hey Dave,
We have same problem with our air con hardy any cold air gets to the back,we tinted the windows and dyna matted it too seamed to help a little.

Does your truck have one compressor or two fitted.
If only where do the lines tee off.

The truck is looks great and good to see it being used.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Hey Dave,
We have same problem with our air con hardy any cold air gets to the back,we tinted the windows and dyna matted it too seamed to help a little.

Does your truck have one compressor or two fitted.
If only where do the lines tee off.

The truck is looks great and good to see it being used.

As far as I know, it is just the original compressor, so only 1 compressor, which seems to easily cope with the system. I'll try and get a pic of where the lines tee off, or at least explain it somewhat.....
Dave

fg4oz

Adventurer
on 2005 FG649 single cab I recently .....
cleaned condenser
cleaned blower fan
replaced blower motor (second hand from Mitsubishi Lancer with minimal modification to screw holes)
regassed and one part replaced
tightened compressor belt
cleaned gauze filter which was a bit clogged up
ran water through the evaporator to clean out the dust that got past the filter and turned to mud
aligned duct with dashboard outlet on passenger (left) side
removed outside front panel that covers inlet and will make front facing 150x100mm grill (original 15x100mm is inadequate)

it works at least 100% better than it used to .............. I don't know 100% of what. :)

a long time ago condenser was moved from under wheel arch to under center, I don't know the effect on air flow.

I'll probably add a small computer fan in the passenger air duct just before the outlet.
I occasionally look for an external shade for the windscreen.
One day I'll insulate (heat and sound).

At the end of all that the system is inadequate for something with such a large angled windscreen. It works better travelling west.

Thanks. Will check this out.

Fugly

Adventurer
Some of the Canters we had on site in The Pilbara...
Had a second outlet attached to the structural rail across the cabin...
To supply AC to the back part of the cabin....
These were factory fitted.....
Also the condenser was mounted to the headboard of the tray.....
This seemed to make a difference ......

Cheers Fugly

sloth142

Observer
i have the same problem, I'm looking at putting a second system in, the one I'm looking at is a ceiling mounted unit which ill put in the rear as it doesn't hang down very low.its a OEX brand, part # evx505 (24v) should be able to pick them up from any auto sparky. hope this helps, the whole unit is around $1600

seagulljim

I also have a canter with twin air con system with condensers mounted to the tray. I have removable sunshades that I got sewn up suction cupped to the windows in the rear of the cabin, not good for passenger viewing but certainly cools the interior down USING ONLY THE FRONT AIR CON....give it a try

JohnRogers

Observer
Contact Air 2000 in Vic they do rear AC kits for dual cabs both my NPS300 were fitted prior to delivery and work very well despite 150oookm in the cooper basin as rig vehicles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior