de lorme in reach

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
A big part of my concern is who answers the phone, so to speak. What is the quality and capacity of the company answering the distress signals?

Thanks!
GEOS has a pretty good reputation for solid response and dispatch procedures, and the GEOS representatives I interviewed did say they much prefer an inReach scenario over a one-way comms SPOT signal as they can almost always dialogue with the people on the scene who pushed the button.

I have not had to hit the SOS button, and have not needed it for any true emergencies, but it has been very helpful many times for minor mishaps.

Thanks for the info guys. This is all the first I have seen of actual evidence of use of the InReach. It's good to know there is a good opinion behind the GEOS Alliance team. Thanks!

smlobx

Wanderer
Piggy backing on this discussion as a new owner I am wondering what people use for their three preset messages.
I was thinking the following but welcome others input.

1. Camping here for the night. All is well
2. Starting hike from this point
3. Minor emergency. Stand by..

Thanks.

greg.potter

Adventurer
I purchased an original Inreach since shortly after they came out and am still using it today. I carry it for emergency use mostly (have never had to use the SOS function yet), and for two way text and email communication when out of cell coverage. I have been very happy with the communication performance. There are of course limitations based on satellite coverage. I will upgrade to the newest model once they integrate the Garmin mapping - the mapping functionality in the current models just isn't there yet in my opinion.

Lucky j

Explorer
Same here as all of the above.

Had it for two more than a year now. Gf friend was more confortable when we would leave the kids behind at a friend or with family. Kids would also be more confortable knowing that mom could be reach and that she was still safe. Their dad died in a car accident about 12 years ago. So two way com is great and sat phone was realy not required.

And found out that the text is also great for the of grid cabin when you need a box of nails when someone is coming and I do not have to drive the 160 mils back to the hardware store. And also that you do not have to call the sar team when all you need is a friend with a spare parts or a third and fourth replacement tire.

This is where inreach really shine in my head. Plus the sos switch.

Dalko43

Explorer
Another inreach explorer owner here.

It's very reliable and well worth the purchase cost and monthly fee if you're out exploring in remote areas. SOS, messaging, weather updates, digital maps (via earthmate app), tracking, waypoints and routes....it's got pretty much everything you need in a messaging/navigation unit. The newer version now comes with digital maps on the device itself (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269).

The spot is good as well, but it doesn't have the same flexibility with messaging and obviously has no navigation capabilities. I personally like having my inreach explorer mounted to my dash, and then I like being able to pick it up and go when I start to move by foot. The canopy can interfere with the signal a bit, but that's kind of the norm with GPS devices.

unplannedbbq

Adventurer
Back from Peru - inReach was great. no real verizon-partner coverage once we got to Cusco all the way to Machu Picchu. Relied on the inReach for 2-way to home, keeping wife & kids up to date.

A guy with t-moble had good coverage everywhere in Peru. An AT&T phone was hit or miss in cities, very weak on trail / sacred valley / Machu Picchu.

inReach let me text/coordinate w/ home and the guy w/ T-Moble phone. inReach battery lasted an easy two days (before getting charged up via 25w solar panel in 2 hours), dropping 10 minute breadcrumbs while we were on the move, with lots of texts and updates sent home. iOS app was great for messaging and tracking progress.

Keeping it - will use it kayaking this summer off coast of Maine. (2 months @ ~$60) + ($25 annual fee) = ~$150 well spent per year as cheap insurance in case anything goes bad.

Stryder106

Explorer
I have not had to use mine in an emergency (thankfully) - but I haven't ever had to actually use my car insurance either. With that said, I have read dozens of accounts of rescues in which the appropriate SAR was dispatched via GEOS who was able to discern the actual situation based on the two way text with the victim/person in need.
//
Another beneficial feature is the contract is month to month. Meaning, if you are not planning on using it for 4 months - you can put the service on hold and not pay anything. Just remember to re-activate when you are planning to go out. Also, InReach subscribers also can buy $100K worth of rescue insurance for ~$150/yr (if memory serves).

apollo

I have a De Lorme, and although we bought it for emergencies, we use it much more than expected for daily check ins. It's nice to be able to communicate via text, especially if I'm running a day or two behind. We have a basic plan which includes something like 10 custom texts, but doesn't charge for the pre-set messages (which you can set to whatever you want). We almost always use the pre-set messages as the UI isn't the best and trying to type a message on the thing can be a bit tedious.

this. setting up preset msgs to update others is awesome...as is the online tracking available to people we put on the list

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles