Adding rigidity to semi-flexible solar panels?

Rando

Explorer
Has anyone added some sort of backing to semi-flexible solar panels (such as these) to make them easier to use as a portable panel?

For context, I would like to have a portable panel to supplement my 160W hard mounted rigid panel, however weight is an issue. The semi-rigid panels are super light (< 5lb for 100W) compared to rigid panels but are harder to use as a portable panel due to their floppiness.

The backing needs to be light weight but rigid. So far I have thought about:
  • XPS (blue/pink) insulation foam - fairly rigid due to it's thickness and light weight, but not very durable. I would probably need to laminate it with something to stop it getting beat up on the back side.
  • Expanded PVC (Celtec) looks to be durable and easy to work with, but I don't know how rigid it is as I have never actually touched it.
  • Luan or other thin plywood - Cheap and easy, but not that rigid and would need to be finished well to make it water proof.

Any other ideas?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Plastic cardboard type abs plastic panel. Keep in mind air flow behind the panel on hot days is important. Heat can be a big hit to your generation/output.

I chuckle when I see near flush mounted panels on dark composite roofs with a fairing closing what little air gap they had. On hot summer days that can be an 80% loss in generation.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Isn't what you describe what I already linked above or are you agreeing with my suggestion?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If you have Tap Plastics near you. You can see a sample. Its reasonably stiff stuff. My 285watt LG panels on the house have a similar backing but framed with aluminum.

inter

Observer
Also a great idea. I do wonder if these would be sturdy enough for any sort of wind? I guess I could borrow the concept and make a sturdier version using Easton aluminium tent poles or the like.

Another idea from iLANDTrek.
You only need one plastic pipe\tube with six Easton aluminum tent poles inside:
Open it, connect tent poles to the pipe, fix pipe to the Earth:), and hang up solar panel.
for midday
ilandTrekDown.jpeg
for morning or evening
ilandTrekUp.jpeg

As a result you get two tilts and perfect ventilation for solar panel.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
picture-frame them with extruded aluminum channel. Light, rigid, even protective. Buy or make L-shaped corner fittings and you can even disassemble the frames for travel and roll your panels up.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
One thing to watch out for when attaching these panels to a substrate is the affect high temperature will have on the 2 materials. its very easy to destroy a panel if the thermal expansion properties aren't similar (don't ask me how i know this)

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Also.. most of these panels suck. you'll be lucky if you get 12 months out of them before they either stop working or have greatly diminished performance. I think we've been through 7 or so. If you can afford the weight and have somewhere to store it a 320W LG panel weighing 16Kg will produce more power than 4 x 100W flexible panels and is much easier to mount on an angle. Double the weight but you'll get 20 years out of it....

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Also.. most of these panels suck. you'll be lucky if you get 12 months out of them before they either stop working or have greatly diminished performance. I think we've been through 7 or so. If you can afford the weight and have somewhere to store it a 320W LG panel weighing 16Kg will produce more power than 4 x 100W flexible panels and is much easier to mount on an angle. Double the weight but you'll get 20 years out of it....

The LG panels are good stuff. The 300 and up panels are fairly new. 310's were new last yr. Sold out fast I ended up with 285's on my house. 25yr warranty and rated at 18% efficiency which is pretty good stuff. We do 53kwh per day in July.
The mini system on the camper are two 10watt panels. We only burn 6ish amps overnight on the camper. We set the hard panels out on a camp chair.

Rando

Explorer
I am definitely skeptical of the longevity of the flexible panels, which is why I am not planning on hard mounting one. I figure using it a couple of times a year it should have a useful lifetime. I currently have a DMSolar 158W panel, I would like a little more hard mounted capacity, but am quite concerned about weight. Any ideas on lower weight panels around 200 - 250W?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94