The DiscoDavis Discovery 1 Mayhem Thread

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Getting rare over here. So many have been ripped apart for engines and axles

Rare in Spain and France now

This one is a one owner from new up to me. 26 Dealer stamps in the book, Just coming up to 96k

They do come up but not that often. Prices are still low though. Even the rare and special ones. I'm happy to look for one for you

blauvelt

Observer
Awesome! Time is on my side, as that pesky 25 year marker must be adhered to...also understand that the English aren't overly fond of allowing their Rovers to be easily exported?

Getting rare over here. So many have been ripped apart for engines and axles

Rare in Spain and France now

This one is a one owner from new up to me. 26 Dealer stamps in the book, Just coming up to 96k

They do come up but not that often. Prices are still low though. Even the rare and special ones. I'm happy to look for one for you

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
It's not simple, lets put it that way. But it's not impossible. Maybe speak to Dividing Creek on here - he's one of the few honest importers

Crazy thing is that one of the very first off the production line - a V8 manual (3.5 Carbed) in rebuilt condition is no more than £4-£5k

DiscoDavis

Explorer
The door lock issue is the Alarm Spider

Spray chain oil as far up the cable as possible, then use and air line to force it the rest of the way - do this from the inside catch out...

Good tip, I need to try this.

I seriously considered this D1 as I specifically wanted a 94-95 Alpine White 5spd with cloth interior. Talked to the seller but because of unclear info and the fact that I am in Atlanta made me hesitant. I have relatives in Scottsdale but about the time that I decided to pull the trigger; it was sold.

Since I was not able to find another like vehicle other than one in TX that was at a used vehicle dealership that would not return calls, messages or emails: I chose to go newer. I ended up with a Chawton White Kalahari D2. This one had 110k miles and history that included head gasket replacement about 15k miles previously. It has a few issues but the PO was free with disclosure and most issues are well documented and easy enough to correct.

My current D1 has served well and is currently being stripped of parts to assist others.

Congrats on your projects!

Ha be glad I grabbed this (saved you a headache! :sombrero:), and while I am not the D2's biggest fan, that is good mileage and a wonderful color. Nice find.

Watching your build, since the '95's are going to be 25 years old here soon, I have a hankering for a RHD 5speed TDI. Cloth interior and all manual. Keep up the great work!

Get one with the non-SRS, I HATE the airbags and steering wheel in these. Otherwise not the worst hankering :ylsmoke:

View attachment 388707

24 years old in August 2017, 5 speed, 200Tdi, no rot. My keeper

She's beautiful!

It's not simple, lets put it that way. But it's not impossible. Maybe speak to Dividing Creek on here - he's one of the few honest importers

Crazy thing is that one of the very first off the production line - a V8 manual (3.5 Carbed) in rebuilt condition is no more than £4-£5k

I saw that DutchSafariCo had a 2 door a few months back, can't speak for their reputation but it seemed ok. Wow was not aware you could even get a non-efi disco. I say this as my idle valve is broken and had a crap commute this morning with Elizabeth...

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Elizabeth at home

33248627176_8fc58179a8_b.jpg

33248632086_a5640fb502_b.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
One slight modification I would like to do is replace the interior hood latch cable release with these. Through some old photos I found the patent number for the correct Camel Trophy hood pins, which are these (albeit in some weird colors, CT model is bare metal silver). Currently the hood release cable is crap and very hit/miss when I want to open the hood.

First one, correctly mentions the relevant patent no. (Brit pat. 2089877).

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=10498&PSO=245&PSID=3100041255&PSV=Primary&CDO=

These two other sites I believe are the same unit, but cannot confirm

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-Universal-Aluminum-Clasp-Hood/dp/B00967HR0Y

https://camsshop.myshopify.com/collections/race-equipment/products/slide-guide-bonnet-pins-alloy

Ray_G

Explorer
If you want to drift from CT authentic-ish I have been running poly performance hood pins for about a decade on coyote(s) to good effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

Explorer
If you want to drift from CT authentic-ish I have been running poly performance hood pins for about a decade on coyote(s) to good effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad for never replying to this. I should look at those, I somewhat want to see how CT I can get without getting the obvious 3 unobtanium pieces, cage, rack, brushbar.

I'm thinking
>skinny tires
>hood pins (if I can get the correct ones)
>dixon bate tow jaw
>rear light guards

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Elizabeth update 04/27/2017

33927847380_900e24e386_b.jpg

>Now just shy of 5000 miles into having her, still commuting day to day.
>Siliconed the entire gutter length, the indoor rain feature now somewhat diminished
>Gave her her second carwash ever (touchless place at the chevron nearby), HVAC spits water onto pass carpet still.
>Colin found the major oil leak source, was the oil pressure sensor that spit oil on startup.
>Trans noises have gotten concerning. She has not yet lost a gear however... 2nd is impossible to hit in anything over walking speed unless you really baby the stick in.
>Very high pitched whine/scream in anything over 40mph, some rattling at idle.
>Low whine and grumbling in every gear
>Still pulls pretty dang good though

33927798880_67797e16c6_b.jpg

After work I drained the trans, then filled it with some 2nd hand MTL from her sister. This stuff I ran for a few weeks in the 110 before again changing, just to get out the last of the gear oil some shop had put in. Basically still very good albeit with a sprinkle of gear oil, and fine for Elizabeth's excessively angry comedy transmission.

The fluid that came out was dark golden brown, not opaque but had the beginnings of that bronze-like sheen you see when a bit of metal is in it.

33470282274_b843dac2b4_b.jpg

Check out what was in the fluid... The catch pan was wiped clean before use.

34181018761_19b78d5abb_b.jpg

33470288144_4180cdec59_b.jpg

Lastly: BAM. Look at the crap on the magnetic plug. This fluid was new three months ago when it was changed for MTL

33470272674_01dd50ff39_b.jpg

While I am not digging the current mechanical situation here, I have particularly enjoyed that you can fix these cars with a hammer and maybe 2 wrenches. Trans serviced in 20 min. Elizabeth remains a total trooper. I promised her if she made it through February without dying I would buy her a new trans. So when it goes I'll find an Ashcroft unit and swap. Rebuild is an option but so far more expensive in this area, at least what I can find.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
My bad for never replying to this. I should look at those, I somewhat want to see how CT I can get without getting the obvious 3 unobtanium pieces, cage, rack, brushbar.

I'm thinking
>skinny tires
>hood pins (if I can get the correct ones)
>dixon bate tow jaw
>rear light guards

That should be pretty feasible. Hell, if it comes down to it holler-I will pull the rear light guards off Coyote since all I'm running on her now is the rubber pieces not the metal guards. Still have the templates for the holes I think.

It is possible to find the SD expedition rack that is the non-roll cage integrated version if you look around, several were sold in the US back in the day. I'm biased toward the SD low rack (most common on XD's) but regardless...feasible.

I have long longed for the mantec style brushbar. In fact if I fabricate one it will likely be the coup de grace for Coyote.
r-
Ray

DiscoDavis

Explorer
That should be pretty feasible. Hell, if it comes down to it holler-I will pull the rear light guards off Coyote since all I'm running on her now is the rubber pieces not the metal guards. Still have the templates for the holes I think.

Ray,

No worries on the guard. Someone from the CTOC actually took his light guards off a CT disco and had a pro make copies for him and others that were missing. A few sets floating around still.

It is possible to find the SD expedition rack that is the non-roll cage integrated version if you look around, several were sold in the US back in the day. I'm biased toward the SD low rack (most common on XD's) but regardless...feasible.

Rack-wise, my dilemma is that I might never be happy with just the rack. I'd want the cage... then the cage tied to the rack... then the brushbar... so I'm forking over a lot of time and $$$ for something that wouldn't really be perfect... Plus at some point soon the discos will start to be eligible for USA import so I'm pondering a certain build for Elizabeth. Maybe half mining corp field foreman truck, half logging scout.

I have long longed for the mantec style brushbar. In fact if I fabricate one it will likely be the coup de grace for Coyote.
r-
Ray

I PM'd Daniel (oddly enough happens to be the A+G guy too) that had the front bar off the Japanese CT disco from a while back. Not sure he ever got around to making copies but one can only hope for future availability... :)

In my heart of hearts I know we can't keep Elizabeth forever. If I ever get a normal commuter car she will sit longer than she should, If I eventually make the Europe move in the next few years she will definitely sit, and as it is she has to compete with the 110 for attention and there were a few days where both were not doing so well... and you know the feeling. It grates a bit. I'd like to make sure she is enjoyed and appreciated for how hard these are to find.

Connor

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Connor, like I said on the IG post, I'm ready to take her off your hands when you wanna sell.

Eric,

Per my message, you're on the short list. Probably first spot too; I did promise to connect that lady that had Elizabeth's clone here with a guy on Dsource whenever she decided to contact me about selling her car... but I still see her driving it so who knows when she'll sell. Just FYI she does have a litany of issues... Definitely works enough though. She's sitting outside my construction trailer now... ;)

Connor

Eric,

Per my message, you're on the short list. Probably first spot too; I did promise to connect that lady that had Elizabeth's clone here with a guy on Dsource whenever she decided to contact me about selling her car... but I still see her driving it so who knows when she'll sell. Just FYI she does have a litany of issues... Definitely works enough though. She's sitting outside my construction trailer now... ;)

Connor

I'm waiting for you to fix the trans whine and then I'm in! Hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles