Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The DiscoDavis Sandglow Thread

Default The DiscoDavis Sandglow Thread

Not exactly a build thread. More of a curation piece and various technical notes thread

(photo: Brendan Stuart)(June 2017)

(photo: cameltrophy.org.uk)

The 1990 Camel Trophy was an odd one being one of the first major sporting competitions of that kind to have ever been done inside the Soviet Union, and even included a Soviet team. Known for being the first year they used the Discovery model, and the only year to use the 2 door model, the event was quite the story even before it began. It was the second of only two times that I am aware of the vehicles and materiel were airlifted during the event en-masse. In this case by the Soviet Air Force! The above photo shows the equipment mobilization at an RAF airbase where the Soviets actually landed two Antonov An-124 aircraft to transport the Land Rovers into Russia. The way I heard it told, this was one of the first if not THE first instance of a non-diplomatic Soviet Military aircraft on British Soil, and on a NATO base to boot! The RAF were quite keen to see even from a few hundred meters what was then a modern mainline Soviet heavy transport aircraft, and it is suspected they had personnel quite close to the aircraft posing as Camel crew while gathering intelligence. I have seen limited photographs of the event due to its more remote nature, and supposedly a lot of material exists but is held privately. An unknown number of Land Rover 110's were dispatched to prescout the route and I do not know if they stayed in place or were shipped back to England prior to the event (though this is likely as other prescouts did so for aborted events, see 1991). Additionally, 1990 was also the only year the event used Land Rover 127's (at that time not a standard 130 vehicle), and they never again repeated this due to serious break over angle issues with the lengthened frames getting caught up. Probably the rarest of all vehicles used in any Camel Trophy, of the five used, I know of only two 127's driving examples still around. The event took place near Lake Baikal in Siberia, and covered over 1,600km by "road" . The Dutch team won that year.

Vehicles sent to USSR for Baikal Event (According to Camel Trophy Owners Club)

Team Vehicles:
    Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi 3 door (19)

Support Vehicles:
    Land Rover 110 (4)
    Land Rover 127 (5)

(photo: roverguide.com)

This is purportedly one of the 1990 event pre scout and event support vehicles. While it is unclear exactly where/when this vehicle was sent as I have never to date seen a photo with plate numbers of all four one tens, this one-ten was indeed produced by LRSV for the Trophy and produced at exactly the time they would have prepared the vehicles for that year. She is the sister car to the 5 one-tens that were sent to the India Prescout also in 1990 for the aborted 1991 Himalaya event. Post CT/LR ownership, like many of the Camels, Land Rover stripped much of the equipment off of the vehicles and sold them separately to Nene (among others) who put them back together, to varying degrees of accuracy (from year to year vehicles had different layouts). The wonderful previous owners took good care of her and mostly restored the equipment missing, with some weird exceptions. The last guy many of you know and he loves her as much as I do, but wanted her to go to a good home.

Better photos to come but see the photo below from the Return to Camel Trophy night held by NCLR and TAD last year in San Francisco... That's her! (on the left, blurry one )

(Photo: Chris Collard) (For reference use)

Above is one of the latest photos, but she was in an OK shape when I got her, needed a bit of TLC and corrections. (below)

Bear with me as she will be down for a while getting the most necessary items worked on before anything big happens. No, you will not see extensive modification or major diversion from the original factory configuration, but a lot of the upkeep notes and various small restorations as I find detailed photos or references, as of early 2018 I have gotten a lot of help from other Camel contacts out there providing the minute details that otherwise would be impossible to get and ones needed for understanding how everything works. Car doesn't need anything other than a working drivetrain, some lights and the winch. Nobody believes me when they ask who put all that crap on the car and I say "oh Land Rover did it at the factory".

Also as of 2018 the roof still leaks so you know its a Land Rover.
    Last edited by DiscoDavis; 01-18-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: update with event synopsis
    2006 Discovery 3
    1995 Discovery
    1990 110

Instgrm:CondorDavis

Congrats man. Can't wait to see where this one takes you. Talk about getting bit by the LR bug, haha! Cheers
    Mike

2006 LR3

Such a tease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 D3 "Saqr"
    1996 D1 5 speed "Coyote"
    1954 S1 "Riley"
    Twin Mountain Off Road

From that distance it looks beautiful!
    -Brad KE0EMP
    2005 LR3-Overland rig
    2001 Discovery 4.0 grocery getter, for now!
    1998 Discovery 4.6 4-wheeling rig-Sold
    1995 Discovery expedition rig-Sold

Member-Frontrange 4x4
    Member-Rocky mountain Overland

Quote Originally Posted by ColoDisco View Post
    Dude, seriously you have a Defender now? Is it a 90 or 110? Man, I'm so envious on your garage list........you almost have a full generation gap of owning Landies now! hahaha

Maybe the Disco3 mishap wasn't so bad after all........things are looking promising.
    #Victory_Overland
    Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
    2008 LR3 SE (90K Miles)

>>>Build Thread<<<

Gap IID Tool
    Tactical Rovers bumpers
    FR Rack
    Melvill & Moon Seat Covers
    Nitto Terra Grap AT 255/60R18
    Traxide Dual Battery w/Solar
    ARB RTT and Awning

200tdi is a tractor of an engine, but it's as basic and rugged as they come.
    Keep the oil good and it will see miles to make the Millennium Falcon look like a low miler.

What's happened to the LR3? Says landy heaven....

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.M View Post

x2 pics or didnt happen

Quote Originally Posted by StreetsofCompton View Post
    Congrats man. Can't wait to see where this one takes you. Talk about getting bit by the LR bug, haha! Cheers
    Thanks! One day they'll say its bad for you! Like bacon, or too much sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
    Such a tease!
    I know I know. Half lazy, half secretive. Trying to document this better...

Hey, to be honest she looks totally crappy up close!

Quote Originally Posted by Victory_Overland View Post
    Dude, seriously you have a Defender now? Is it a 90 or 110? Man, I'm so envious on your garage list........you almost have a full generation gap of owning Landies now! hahaha

Maybe the Disco3 mishap wasn't so bad after all........things are looking promising.
    Yes.... apologies for the radio silence about new projects... well I can say I will forever miss perfect door seals and heated seats. Now it rains inside too!

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.M View Post
    200tdi is a tractor of an engine, but it's as basic and rugged as they come.
    Keep the oil good and it will see miles to make the Millennium Falcon look like a low miler.

You're right, see the post in the thread I just did. As for the Tdi. Ugh I love it. It's so easy to work on. It drives sooooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by colb45 View Post
    x2 pics or didnt happen
    No pics sorry... I really wish I got some but it was a crap occasion all round.
    2006 Discovery 3
    1995 Discovery
    1990 110

Even a rough old defender is worth having. I would own one except the going rate is still too high for me to stomach.
    -Brad KE0EMP
    2005 LR3-Overland rig
    2001 Discovery 4.0 grocery getter, for now!
    1998 Discovery 4.6 4-wheeling rig-Sold
    1995 Discovery expedition rig-Sold

Member-Frontrange 4x4
    Member-Rocky mountain Overland

Even a rough old defender is worth having. I would own one except the going rate is still too high for me to stomach.
    Amen. This was more of a 'it's now or never' thing...
    2006 Discovery 3
    1995 Discovery
    1990 110

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast