1998 Montero Gen 2.5 with locker - SoCal

nwoods

Expedition Leader
SOLD!!!
Update 8/19/17: Courtesy of the great State of California's Bureau of Automotive Repair, the Monty has been "recycled" via the Vehicle Retirement Program, and is now roughly a 24" square, 4,470 lbs cube of low grade metal.
------------------------

I have a well traveled 1998 Gen 2.5 Mitsubishi Montero with the Winter Package (rear locker and heated seats) for sale. It's not in great condition, in fact, its barely running, missing on at least one cylinder. The Check Engine Light is on (due to cylinder #1 misfire) and it won't pass smog here in SoCal as it is now. It is a salvage title, though I'm not sure why. VIN is posted below. Feel free to CarFax it. Curious about the results!

1998 Mitsubishi Montero
3.5L SOHC V6
Auto trans with overdrive
4x4 with rear locker (all fully functioning)
208,000 miles
Champagne exterior
tan leather interior
Salvage title
Runs poorly, but drives awesome

The current plan is to recycle this thing to the scrapyard, but if anyone wants it as a project car, let me know. There are a number of good things on it that could be useful to someone. For example:
- All new OEM timing belt stuff, including belt, tensioners, pulleys, crank sensor, crank bolt, crank gear, timing plate, etc...
- All new NKG Iridium spark plugs and NGK wires
- new (not rebuilt) alternator
- all new belts
- less than 12 month old Diehard Gold Plus battery
- New brake pads and disks in front. fairly new pads in rear
- New JVC headunit with Bluetooth and USB charging (will require reinstallation)
- new 1100 watt amp (will require reinstallation)
- complete OEM tool kit in rear door
- a "white ball" transfer shift lever from the previous gen truck
- newer rear door hinges
- 3rd row seats like new
- transfer case and rear locker all work awesome
- Tranny is in good shape
- all the lights work - including in the dash
- the digital compass works!
- heavy duty RAM mount cup holder
- all known fans, servos, actuators, and solenoids work....except the power locks are wonky, and passenger rear door locks and window are non-op.
- AC works great!
- Seat heaters work

There are of course, a lot of great opportunities with this truck for the mechanically inclined (ie, things that don't work):
  • The engine runs on 5 cylinders.
  • Compression on cylinder 1 is around 35psi dry (should be 170 psi)
  • There is a ground fault somewhere in the truck that eats the voltage regulators in the alternator. I have "disco strobes" for interior dome lights, all the gauge lights flicker in time with the engine RPM, and the stereo gets wicked feedback through the speakers. I have done my best to check and replace all the grounds, but this one eludes my best efforts. I am on Alternator #6 and battery #2 in the few years I've owned it.
  • I don't think there is a straight piece of sheet metal on it, except for the roof. This truck was dented up when I got it, and then I used it off road a lot, and then my teenage son learned to drive in it, so each quarter panel has some history on it....but the paint is pretty good :)
  • The interior needs a good cleaning. Headliner is in great shape, seats are okay, but I've have seat covers on since just about day one, carpet is not great, maybe 5 out of 10. All the fake wood trim was removed from the interior, so it actually looks pretty good, after a thorough cleaning. Right now, its a bit dusty. You know how you can hang up a rug and beat it with a broom and there's a big dust cloud? It's sorta like that if you slam the doors hard. LOL.
  • I think the clockspring in the steering wheel is worn out. The horn button doesn't work (though the horns are okay when manually switched on)

This truck has been all over the trails, deserts, and mountains of SoCal, and I hate to see it get crushed into a cube of metal, but i don't have the resources to rebuild the motor myself, so its time to move on.

$500 or Best Offer, with everything as is, including a box or two of spare items I've collected from various places along the way.
I am in Orange County, California. I can actually drive it to your location!

3V2A0976-X3.jpg

Gold-Mtn-20130727_04-X3.jpg

Here is a video where you can hear the engine (the mud has been cleaned off since this was shot):
[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Vehicles/Montero/For-Sale/i-3PtmQdH/0/1280/IMG_2336-1280.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have an update. Someone commented about my claim that all the solenoids worked, and he asked for the window regulators. Sorry, windows and locks don't work well. The locks are fixable by repairing the little knobby bumpstops in the motor housing, and the windows do all go up and down, except for the passenger rear. That one is non-op for some reason. Door lock also is dead in that same door.

quailchaser

Observer
My wife would shoot me if I brought home a whole parts truck even though I want it. Would you be willing to pull the throttle body and the possibly drivers middle seat ( I really need just the cable - seat fabric doesn't matter)?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My wife would shoot me if I brought home a whole parts truck even though I want it. Would you be willing to pull the throttle body and the possibly drivers middle seat ( I really need just the cable - seat fabric doesn't matter)?
Not sure I can remove those particular items and still drive it to the Cash for Clunkers depot..... If no one buys the whole thing, the only parts I can pull are ones not related to driving it a few miles to the depot under its own power.

DONT_TREAD

Observer
Hey I'm in so cal and was wondering if you'd do a trade with some cash on my end for the tires and seats, since you still want to be able to drive it and all

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Seats, yes no problem. However, tires are already spoken for, I think. Waiting for confirmation.

This Sunday a few of us are getting together in Anahiem Hills to strip and swap amoungst various rigs

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here is an update on who has claimed what, and what's been delivered. I will also summarize what's still available:

TyTy:
- Tires - SOLD
- Rear Shocks - SOLD
- Speakers - SOLD
- Bottle Jack - SOLD
- Drivers door panel - SOLD
- Rear door panel - SOLD
- Rear hatch latch - SOLD

GxGn:
- Gas Tank - end up not needing it. Turns out mine is dented!
- Radio with Bluetooth - Still Available
- Reinforced transfer skid plate - SOLD

TLR:
- Headlights SHIPPED
- Weatherstripping - Cancelled
- Heated Seat Switches - SHIPPED

Marcus2113: (has not responded - I assume this stuff is all back on the marked)
- OEM Tool kit in rear door
- Digital compass (center gauge cluster)
- Heavy Duty Cup Holder
- Rear door hinges (spare set)
- Transfer case lever (requires a swap though - I need a lever to drive with) - not done, still need a donor to swap in

Dont_Tread: (has not responded - I assume this stuff is all back on the marked)
- Seats
- Rear Lockers - Nope, too hard.
- badges All yours dude, but I don't know how to remove them without breaking them, so I'll let you do it

SD_Montero:
- AC Mode Switch - SHIPPED

Miloe79:
- Cabella's seat covers - SOLD
- Rear brake disks - SOLD

SaltStainedEyes (has not responded - I assume this stuff is all back on the marked)
- Alternator
- Misc bits

NickWalton
- TCU unit - SOLD
- EGR solenoid - SOLD
- misc lug nuts (non-locking) - SOLD

---------------------------

Parts Still Available: Updated 6/14/2017

- OEM Owner's Manual - SOLD
- OEM Tool kit in rear door - SOLD
- Digital compass (center gauge cluster) - SOLD
- Heavy Duty Cup Holder - SOLD
- Rear door hinges (spare set) - SOLD
- Transfer case lever - SOLD
- new (not rebuilt) alternator (swap only)
- all new belts (swap only)
- less than 12 month old Diehard Gold Plus battery (swap only)
- New brake pads and disks in front. fairly new pads in rear (swap only)
- new 1100 watt amp
- 3rd row seats like new (unless Don't_Tread wants the 3rd row also?)
- All seats seem to be available - Front Passenger Seat SOLD
- Lots of misc spare bits - SOLD
- full set of extra 15" Montero rims - SOLD
- Bluetooth stereo
- a bunch of spare gaskets for various engine bits - SOLD

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We will be stripping this baby down on Sunday in Anahiem Hills. Rain or shine.
PM me for details

miloe79

Observer
Here is an update on who has claimed what. I will also summarize what's still available:

TyTy:
- Tires
- Rear Shocks (swap)
- Speakers
- Bottle Jack

GxGn:
- Gas Tank (swap)
- Radio
- Reinforced transfer skid plate

TLR:
- Headlights (maybe?)
- Weatherstripping
- Heated Seat Switches

Marcus2113:
- OEM Tool kit in rear door
- Digital compass (center gauge cluster)
- Heavy Duty Cup Holder
- Rear door hinges (spare set)
- Transfer case lever (requires a swap though - I need a lever to drive with)

Dont_Tread:
- Seats (swap)
- Rear Lockers (swap?) This might exceed my mechanical ability to do, but if you can do it, come on over and run with it man!

SD_Montero:
- AC Mode Switch

---------------------------

Parts Still Available:

- new (not rebuilt) alternator (swap only)
- all new belts (swap only)
- less than 12 month old Diehard Gold Plus battery (swap only)
- New brake pads and disks in front. fairly new pads in rear (swap only)
- new 1100 watt amp
- 3rd row seats like new (unless Don't_Tread wants the 3rd row also?)
- worn, but decent Cabella's seat covers. Photo below is from when they were new:

IMG_1242-X3.jpg
Are the Cabella seat cover still available? If they are, I'll claimed them.
What's the $? How about the NGK sparkplugs and wires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Milo, $10 for the seat covers. I'll add them to the brake disks I'm bringing in April to Vegas. The plugs and wires are installed, so I think I'm gonna need them unless you can send something to swap with, but its kind of a PIA to install.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I took a few early morning shots of the interior this morning. Cheers,

IMG_2489-X3.jpg

Seat covers need to be washed!
IMG_7850-X3.jpg

Back seat leather (and jump seats) looks great. I can't quite remember what the front seats look like. They were worn but leather was intact, no tears, splits, etc...
IMG_4820-X3.jpg

RAM cup holder
IMG_4069-X3.jpg

Cargo area - Yeah, I really need to clean this baby.
IMG_5476-X3.jpg

IMG_7298-X3.jpg

miloe79

Observer
Milo, $10 for the seat covers. I'll add them to the brake disks I'm bringing in April to Vegas. The plugs and wires are installed, so I think I'm gonna need them unless you can send something to swap with, but its kind of a PIA to install.
Sweet deal, I'll take them. Thanks!
The discs and seat covers will do for me, lets forget about the wires. See you here in April, I will PM you my #. 👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles