Driving Deep Into A Mine - Video Trail Report

LandOps

Observer
Yeah, not the safest thing to do. We had pre-run the mine to check ventilation and we had a drafting flow towards the vents. Once we arrived we would shut of the engines. Vehicle fire would definitely call for emergency egress.

LandOps

Observer
Radio test from iniside the mine

As you may have seen. The 2 meter radio test from inside the mine could not bounce through the mine shaft well at all. We've been in contact with KQ6XA on QRZ and in addition to the
Leaky Feeder antenna system, she says "In caves, I found that 2 watts at 7 MHz or 3.9 MHz SSB, with small whip antennas, will go through about a quarter mile to a half-mile of solid rock. Further if one station uses a longer antenna." We'll be seeing if we cabn test this on our return trip to Reward in May this year. We'll keep you posted.

LandOps

Observer
That might have an adverse effect on your relationship, but you know her better than us all. One of our members became noticeably uncomfortable after a few minutes at full depth and just wanted to leave. Remember, be safe, turn engines off immediately and monitor CO.

LandOps

Observer
I liked the video showing the electric landcruiser. That mine is so deep and those big construction vehicles must exhaust something fierce. I can see what he means by emmission issues.

Thanks for sharing.

LandOps

Observer
We will be returning to this mine on May 20-21st for another radio test. Will test the carbon monoxide tester out and check the levels.

LandOps

Observer
So we went back in May. I wish I had brought an anemometer to measure the draft at 2/10 of mile in. The shaft was well vented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior