Best group 34 battery

JDaPP

Adventurer
I won a genesis dual battery system for my jeep jkur. It requires 2 group 34 batteries, cost is a huge factor for me right now so I am looking for something that will get me through a weekend of camping running a 12v cooler and lights mostly without breaking the bank. Appreciate any recommendations thanks.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Thread title is "best" battery, so in G34, that would probably be a Northstar or Odyssey. Best value would be a Deka. Best compromise would be Optima Yellow or Blue Dual Purpose Marine with the extra terminals. If you go with the Blue, make sure it's the Dual Purpose. None of these (in a pair) will get your fridge through a hot summer weekend in the desert without without some charging, unless you keep the temp fairly high. I set my Indel B on max cold for trips to Yuma and points east and I can't get two days in the summer without running the engine.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Great info, thanks. I definitely titled it wrong but I can't change it now. Add on question, could I get a deep cycle battery and a cheaper starter battery? I have read that is not the best but not quite clear on the long term 'bad'. I am good with the cooler not making it through the weekend just trying to not break the bank (if price is close I would spring for it...)

JDaPP

Adventurer
Great info, thanks. I definitely titled it wrong but I can't change it now. Add on question, could I get a deep cycle battery and a cheaper starter battery? I have read that is not the best but not quite clear on the long term 'bad'. I am good with the cooler not making it through the weekend just trying to not break the bank (if price is close I would spring for it...)

The genesis system is supposed to split the batteries once the main battery hits a certain voltage if that makes a difference.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I am not a fan of ACRs, but some guys love 'em. If yours separates the batteries when the engine is off and when they reach full charge, then you are probably OK with different batteries. I use the Painless Performance solenoid isolator with the toggle on the dash, so I control when the batteries are connected or isolated. You could get a deep cycle and a cheaper starting battery, but my choice was a pair (now three in my truck, one Odyssey and two Blue DP Optimas for the fridge) of dual purpose batteries. Odyssey and Northstar claim that their DP batteries are designed from the ground up with true deep cycle capabilities. Optima makes similar claims for their Yellow and DP Blue (the starting Blue is electrically identical to their Red, but with an extra pair of studs). Don't know if that's completely accurate, but they do seem to work pretty well in most applications. If you shop around, Optimas a lot cheaper than Odyssey or Northstar, and Dekas are a good bit cheaper than Optima. My regular battery guy sells them all and advised me against Deka because he gets a lot of warranty claims, and I think Deka still carries only a one-year warranty (I may be wrong on that). This guys sells more Optimas than any other AGM, but that could be because he sells to a lot of police and fire departments and they replace batteries on a regular maintenance schedule. Optima had a long run of bad batteries a few years ago when they transferred manufacturing to Mexico, but the new ones seem to be fine (I currently have two Yellows and two Blues in two different trucks).

rayra

Expedition Leader
Let me throw a wrench in 'Best'. After many years and many batteries, some high quality, most not, 'Best' includes where I can get warranty replacement on the road. I bought Interstate batteries thru Costco. 700+ Costco stores in the nation. Plus Interstate's dealer network - http://www.interstatebatteries.com/dealerlocator/default.aspx and they are in all 50 states.

Likewise with Sears Automotive Centers. At least for another couple years maybe.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Warranty replacement is a critical part of best battery equation IMO.
With that said Im looking forward replacing my dual 6 year old Blue Optima when they go bad with most likely the same.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Likewise with Sears Automotive Centers. At least for another couple years maybe.
My personal experience with Sears and their battery warranties is that it can be difficult to get them to do the right thing on a claim. And the current line of AGMs from Sears is pretty weak, since they severed ties with Odyssey.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I like Optimas but just bought an Odyssey for my FJC...for some reason I could get an Odyssey a bit cheaper than Optima. That plus Odyssey is made in USA and it was an easy choice.

My understanding of a dual battery system, where the batteries are isolated when not charging, is that they just need to be the same general type: flooded lead acid, AGM, or gel. Different sizes or deep cycle versus starting within each type don't matter.

Personally I would prefer a bigger battery than a group 34 for a house battery. A group 31 offers almost double the amp hours. I run a CPAP and a fridge overnight, and a group 34 Optima for example has 55 ah IIRC. I will use half of that in a single overnight, and you don't want to draw down more than 50% if you can help it to preserve battery longevity.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I did a lot of research on group 34 and 34/78 batteries (78 is the same size as 34 but has side terminals vs top. 34/78 has both.) In terms of AH it was tough finding one with more than 55ah. I was able to finally find one that had 68ah but it wasn't cheap. IIRC it was about $275.00 at Batteries Plus.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I guess it all depends on the prices. I run dual Yellow tops in the truck (a 34 and a 34/78). I looked around for prices (maybe we're getting ripped off here in Canada) last year when my original Yellows weren't good any longer in the winter after several good years of use. The NorthStar was $100 more (C$404) over the Yellowtop, and the Odessey $200 more (C$494), which I could get the YellowTop to my door a hair over $300CAD (C$306).

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
There is a direct relationship between AH and battery weight. If the weight is the same but the AH are different take a close look how the specs are done.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looks very interesting. Found automotive group 34 but couldn't find marine/rv deep cycle in group 34

Make sure you search for group 34/78, sometimes those don't show up if you're only searching for group 34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior