Sleeping in your vehicle

Nesquik

Observer
Hello all

I have some questions for those of you who sleep in your vehicle, van or SUV

First off, what do you do for ventilation? How do you allow airflow but still keep bugs out?

What temp range are you comfortable at?

Do you use a seperate stand alone structure to supplement the sleeping space?

I know there's are dozens of different ways. I'm mainly curious how people are maintaining decent ventilation and still keeping the critters out.

(none)

Adventurer
Used to sleep in my LC80 with the rear seats removed. Going to try in the 5th gen 4runner. Used to just sleep with the windows closed or slightly cracked. Never had an issue with condensation, but it was fairly mild temps. I have seen people with the screens that go over the downs.

outback97

Adventurer
Where are you located? What time of year / weather will you be camping in?

I have slept in my Xterra from ~5F to ~55F night time temps.

When it's cold enough that bugs aren't an issue, windows down a little bit to reduce condensation.

Cool dry desert, all windows closed to keep dust out.

I have never slept inside the vehicle in hot or humid conditions... I imagine you'd want to put some window screens on then. I do have visors on the windows so they could be opened a bit without rain getting in, unless it were very windy.

Choff

Adventurer
My wife and I have slept in our van in temps from 80's to 30's and below, yes we have screens for windows, never have had condensation issues at all.
Only snoring issues !!!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
We have a rooftop tent now, but if I still had my XJ, I'd probably tool around my local Michael's and make a set of magnetic screens myself. If you're not into arts and crafts, you can spend too much on them from somewhere like http://theskeeterbeater.com

Ouch no kidding. Pair for my Suburban front windows is $55, there. The mesh is $4.25/yd off a 54" wide roll. - https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-67-oz-noseeum-mesh-black

I'd been planning on sewing a set that goes over the top of the door like a slip-cover. Open the door, socket it on, close the door. I wanted to be able to sleep with the windows down but at least make it a little resistant to someone just reaching in the vehicle while we sleep. But a screen with magnets sewn in the edges would be swell for my moonroof opening.

robert

Expedition Leader
Yep, done it plenty of times. In the VWs I had window screens, the camper shells on my trucks have had window screens, I've also just draped a large mosquito net over the openings/windows before and used magnets to hold it in place. You can buy mosquito netting pretty cheap or do what I've done when I've forgotten mine, just buy one of those cheap green or white setups designed to go over cots (Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, Walmart, etc. all sell them for a couple of bucks).

When it's hot I use a small battery powered fan to circulate air.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
SabreWife and I sleep in the back of our Montero. Unless it's raining, we just leave the windows down and the back open in all temps. If it's very windy we'll close the windows on the windward side. For buggy nights I made up screens that fit all four windows and the sunroof; we close the back door in this case but I like the look of the fabric door shown above. For the window & sunroof screens I just bought bulk nylon screen at the hardware store and flexible magnets that come in rolls. I created hems around the perimeter of each screen to capture the magnetic strips.

Warm sleeping bags let us sleep in comfort down to well below freezing. We have an awning with a tubular frame that we can quickly attach to the roof rack on either side or the rear of the truck, giving a lot of flexibility in creating shade in hot weather, since early morning sun can drive us out of the car otherwise. It also allows us to keep some windows down if it's raining.

SabreWife got sick of tent camping but absolutely loves the sleeping platform I built, especially with the luxury foam mattress I splurged on for her. We have had some adventures where we had to bail out of the tent during lightning storms that boiled up during the night and of course have been in some bear areas, such as parts of Yellowstone, where the tent was not an option. Sleeping inside has been a huge success and is far, far less expensive than a rooftop tent.

21115593809_d84b657828_b.jpg

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I too have wanted to make up screens and had the same reaction to the versions to buy....they want way too much money for them. Hot glue gun, magnets, felt and the screen I could do it for prob $20.

I sleep in the back of my Yukon quite a bit. No worries when it's cold with the windows down a bit. Gets stuffy/damp in warm weather where bugs can be a pain which is what led me to explore the screen option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles