Kawasaki KX500 Canada to Los Vegas

An old motorcycle bud and I are making a Canada to Los Vegas trip on two 1997 Kawasaki KX500's. This will be my first overland expedition (crazy I know, but that's how I roll). I've spent most all my life exploring truly remote areas of the west - places that most folks aren't interested or comfortable being in.

With that I've got some catchin' up to do before the trip. Tearing down the bike and reinforcing the frame/sub frame, full engine tear down with custom overdrive 5th gear, modern suspension, panniers (mostly for gas) as well as equipping basic gear. Note there is some legitimacy to the trip as we've both done 24 hour races, he's a true expert on this particular bike (check out the upcoming April Issue of Motocross Action for a Kx500 build he's involved in) and he's a helicopter mechanic. I'm an over cautious Architect and past hot rod mechanic who started on motorcycles 32 years ago (turning 40 this year).

We picked Canada because it's close to home (Helena, MT). We're ending in Las Vegas (or Phoenix, or Mexico). Our plan is to stop in LV for the 2018 AIME Expo which we are planning on displaying the bike with some sponsors.

Any advice, especially in regards to wayfaring and general gear recommendations would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime we'll get some pictures rolling this spring with the teardown/rebuild of the bikes.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you out on the trails! :ylsmoke:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Interested in seeing the builds.

Any issues in MT getting these bikes plated? Would be next to impossible here in Illinois.

Wirebrush

Observer
An old motorcycle bud and I are making a Canada to Los Vegas trip on two 1997 Kawasaki KX500's. This will be my first overland expedition (crazy I know, but that's how I roll). I've spent most all my life exploring truly remote areas of the west - places that most folks aren't interested or comfortable being in.

With that I've got some catchin' up to do before the trip. Tearing down the bike and reinforcing the frame/sub frame, full engine tear down with custom overdrive 5th gear, modern suspension, panniers (mostly for gas) as well as equipping basic gear. Note there is some legitimacy to the trip as we've both done 24 hour races, he's a true expert on this particular bike (check out the upcoming April Issue of Motocross Action for a Kx500 build he's involved in) and he's a helicopter mechanic. I'm an over cautious Architect and past hot rod mechanic who started on motorcycles 32 years ago (turning 40 this year).

We picked Canada because it's close to home (Helena, MT). We're ending in Las Vegas (or Phoenix, or Mexico). Our plan is to stop in LV for the 2018 AIME Expo which we are planning on displaying the bike with some sponsors.

Any advice, especially in regards to wayfaring and general gear recommendations would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime we'll get some pictures rolling this spring with the teardown/rebuild of the bikes.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you out on the trails! :ylsmoke:
My advise-

Keep the rubber side down and don't fall off. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles