Non-touristy quick dry clothing

krick3tt

Adventurer
I was amazed when I was in South Africa that many of the young people were wearing T-shirts with a USA theme or some state logo all over them. Lots of stuff that I would not wear in the US but were very vogue and quite popular for the people living there.

I think it very interesting that English is spoken by so many of the younger people in many countries, not so much by the older citizens. I think it is just showing a bit of respect to learn a few words or phrases of the language of the country you travel in. I recall in Italy I approached two young men (speaking Italian) and asked them for directions and their response was to please speak in English as they understood it very well.
I find that a bit of kindness and decent manners go a long way to opening doors and allowing the 'fitting in' process to go beyond what one wears.

Have a great trip.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Columbia has a lot of quick dry clothing that's not "touristy". I wear a lot of it when working out etc. look at the Omni freeze, Omni cool, and Omni wick lines.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I like the REI Adventures line of clothing both shirts and pants. Lightweight, quick drying and look like regulars clothes.

Chad

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I wear lots of stuff from NAU as my travel duds. I might also add that Exofficio finally wised up and stopped making clothes only for zoo keepers and monkey trainers. Their new designers are creating collections that are far more contemporary, fashion-forward, and look appropriately casual and dressy for most travels. Same for Royal Robbins. They started making a few pieces that don't look quite so...uh...AARP.

::Squish::

Observer
I've found some golf pants, that were simple black, quick drying, lightweight and durable

Also if your fashion bends a little more youthful Dickies makes some workwear pants in a decent slim fit that dry pretty quick and look just like normal pants

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
Prana Zion. I wear them to work, casually, hiking and hunting. Great all around pants. Can be a bit pricey. If you really want to spend money, KUIU makes some great pants in solids. the Attack pants are some of my favorites. I have two pairs. Both of mine are camo, but if they were solids, I would wear them all the time. I have pair of their Tiburon pants in dark brown,( a lighter weight version of the attacks) that I wear all the time too. All the above are a stretchy, very comfortable material.

Geodoc

Adventurer
Prana Zion. I wear them to work, casually, hiking and hunting. Great all around pants. Can be a bit pricey. If you really want to spend money, KUIU makes some great pants in solids. the Attack pants are some of my favorites. I have two pairs. Both of mine are camo, but if they were solids, I would wear them all the time. I have pair of their Tiburon pants in dark brown,( a lighter weight version of the attacks) that I wear all the time too. All the above are a stretchy, very comfortable material.

Those PrAna look pretty interesting.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
I had a bunch of REI points, so mine were "free" and a lot of the backcountry elk hunting guys wear them, and rave about them on western hunting forums. Although not a hunting brand, they are very durable. They do dry really quickly. Look great, I definitely prefer them over jeans. Wish I had more of them. I highly recommend them.

Oh, and I have one of their sweatshirts too. It is AWESOME...

FJOE

Regular Dude
Two of my go-to shirts are from Target (believe it or not). These shirts are relatively cheap, and very durable. I have probably 8 of the polos in various colors, and 10-15 of the wicking undershirts. They have been all over Africa, the Middle East, and SE Asia. I swear by them. Whenever I am in the states, I grab a few. Plus they are cheap enough that you aren't out 75 bucks when you rip one or leave one in some 5 gallon bucket clothes washer somewhere.

http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-men-s-polo-shirt/-/A-15126620

http://www.target.com/p/men-s-tech-t-shirt-c9-champion/-/A-16811650

MLu

Adventurer
What happened to wearing jeans? At least in NEU you can get away with wearing jeans for almost any casual occasion. And you can go a few weeks without washing them...

Also, every single thing linked in this thread so far absolutely screams "American tourist".

jeepgc

Adventurer
What happened to wearing jeans? At least in NEU you can get away with wearing jeans for almost any casual occasion. And you can go a few weeks without washing them...

Also, every single thing linked in this thread so far absolutely screams "American tourist".
Quick drying was one of the requirements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles