Non-touristy quick dry clothing

Geodoc

Adventurer
What happened to wearing jeans? At least in NEU you can get away with wearing jeans for almost any casual occasion. And you can go a few weeks without washing them...

Also, every single thing linked in this thread so far absolutely screams "American tourist".

I don't wear jeans anymore (other than when playing with the chainsaw), and they don't dry too quick.

bigskypylot

Explorer
It doesn't come with the dorky belt does it? If it does, can you get remove it?

They have a belt, it's removable. It's great for outdoorsy stuff and it stays cinched, unlike the belt that is in current REI design (I liked REIs built-in belt better than the current). For dressier stuff, use one of your own choosing. I'm really pleased with the DTC stuff except I wish they were made in the good ol' US of A

Here's a photo of the belt. It's a 1" belt

20170325_135128.jpg

Kevin108

Explorer
I wear these at least 75% of the time to work --- just look like lightweight chinos. Don't look like fishing pants like in the illustration.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/dry-on-the-fly/71712.aspx?processor=content
They weigh almost nothing and dry very very fast. I've never even put a pair in the dryer.
...and they go on sale often.

I have a pair of the shorts. The only downside is they make that poly/swishy sound like swimming trunks.

I also have several pairs of REI Sahara convertible pants. They have proven surprisingly durable, which I never would have expected.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I have a pair of the shorts. The only downside is they make that poly/swishy sound like swimming trunks.

I also have several pairs of REI Sahara convertible pants. They have proven surprisingly durable, which I never would have expected.

Hmmmmm... mine don't make any swishy sound lol

Kevin108

Explorer
Maybe it's just how I move? :confused:

giphy.gif

krick3tt

Adventurer
Got my REI dividend and went to the store for some Marmot 'rain pants' for my upcoming trip to Norway. I will be with a group of other American tourists so 'standing out' isn't my issue. Got the pants for a bit of drizzle protection and to help the other pants drier. They fold up small and are very light weight so the stuff I carry will be easier to heft. I have been traveling with only one small bag to Europe for years and weight is a concern for me.
Only carry one bag as it is not going to be rerouted with the other lost luggage by the airlines, also makes for a bit more careful packing on my part.

One thing I have not found are quick dry socks.

Happy trails

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
Mine don't either ----- I think they switched fabrics at one time.

My REI Saharas make the swishy sound and I only wear them camping now.

The flex dry are really a nice pant and short. I wish they'd make a convertible pair like they had in the past. I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality and feel of these.

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I'm yet to find a nice quick-dry pant that isn't stereotypically "outdoorsie" but for shirts, I love the omni-wick line from Columbia. The T-Shirts are by far some of the most comfortable shirts I've ever bought, and they're fantastic for keeping cool and dry. I've noticed they also don't hold the smell/feel of sweat so I've been pretty comfortable wearing them multiple days in a row while camping (I'm definitely not the kind of guy who normally does that, one of my pet peeves is re-wearing sweaty feeling clothing). Same can be said for their button downs, as long as you avoid the PFG branded ones, they look like pretty normal relaxed fit button up shirts but they're super breathable. I wear them anywhere from the office to sea kayaking and they've held up phenominally. All of that being said they're stupid expensive normally, I probably wouldn't own them if I didn't get really nice discounts on Columbia gear through work.

slomatt

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of Prana Zion pants. They dry quickly and don't look very touristy or 'tactical' (other than the cargo pocket). I've got 4-5 pairs, the oldest have seen heavy use for 5+ years and are just starting to get a little threadbare. The Prana Brion is a similar design, but does not have the cargo pocket.

- Matt

bigskypylot

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles