Non-touristy quick dry clothing

Geodoc

Adventurer
Any recommendations on some good clothing that is both quick drying and doesn't look touristy/high adventure (i.e., Chino look, no cargo pockets, etc.). Looking at spending some time on the road in Europe next year but want to blend in as much as possible. I've check Travel Smith and Magellan's, but most of the men's pants they sell include zippers and pockets galore.

fike

Adventurer
Eddie Bauer is sometimes criticized for being outdoor fashion, but they have some decent stuff, and they have very good sales. For me, the key is to avoid the sloppy badge of middle aged men--cargo pockets. If you want to go "full dad," wear cargo shorts.:smiley_drive:

Here is a pretty good example of presentable, every-day pants that you can use to explore on your way home from work. They DO have a zippered pocket on the side, but it is hidden in the seam, so it is okay.:cool:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...=Active Pants&previousPage=&tab=men&color=225

kmacafee

Adventurer
I second Duluth Trading. I spent two months in Europe last summer and was able to wash stuff almost every night and it dried in a few hours.

Diver1

5.11 tactical have some fairly discreet clothing that should fit the bill.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

outback97

Adventurer
I wear these at least 75% of the time to work --- just look like lightweight chinos. Don't look like fishing pants like in the illustration.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/dry-on-the-fly/71712.aspx?processor=content
They weigh almost nothing and dry very very fast. I've never even put a pair in the dryer.
...and they go on sale often.

That looks nice... I'm between M and L waist sizes (usually wear 34 but sometimes 36 depending on pants). Do these run true to size, or smaller / larger?

The pants I currently have that are 100% synthetic get funky really quickly. As in, you can wear them half a day, nothing high exertion, and they get that stale sweat smell. I have not noticed this with synthetic / cotton blends, just the 100% synthetic ones. How do these do on odor?

jeepgc

Adventurer
As a UK based European, I'd say that you'd stand out a lot more wearing chinos instead of trousers/pants with cargo pockets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jeepgc

Adventurer
I mostly wear quick dry trousers/pants made by a company called Paramo. Not as hard wearing as I'd like, but can go from soaking wet to dry in 2-3 hours.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
Haven't been to Europe in a year but when, for all the years I went, I never worried about standing out. Believe me they know you are an American just by your manner and manners. You can't hide, so give it up.
I travel with one bag and everything I carry is quick wash or throw away. I go to the thrift store and get a suit or some decent shirts and pants and as they get dirty or no longer presentable I toss them. Lightens my load and gives me the opportunity to pick up something there and still be comfortable. You would be amazed at the quality of the second hand stores in Europe, you are sure to blend in with stuff that comes from the country you are in.
Usually we travel for three to four weeks at a time, by train, and I often return with something that I never got the opportunity to wear. It is glorious to travel. This summer we go to Scandinavia for ten days and it will be so much fun.
Use local currency and eat where the locals eat, get to know some people.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That looks nice... I'm between M and L waist sizes (usually wear 34 but sometimes 36 depending on pants). Do these run true to size, or smaller / larger?

The pants I currently have that are 100% synthetic get funky really quickly. As in, you can wear them half a day, nothing high exertion, and they get that stale sweat smell. I have not noticed this with synthetic / cotton blends, just the 100% synthetic ones. How do these do on odor?
Duluth is funny on sizing. I think their plan is to make fat people feel good about themselves...
That said, most of their stuff is generous. But the confounding thing is that it's not consistent. I'm 6'5" and have been working out for 40 years ---- most brands of shirts for me are 2XL-Tall. Duluth is XL-Tall.
Some of their pants are L and some XL to fit me. Their 34" length is like a 36" from other companies.
Returns are easy though. And I've never worn out or torn any of their stuff.

Choff

Adventurer
Eddie Bauer is sometimes criticized for being outdoor fashion, but they have some decent stuff, and they have very good sales. For me, the key is to avoid the sloppy badge of middle aged men--cargo pockets. If you want to go "full dad," wear cargo shorts.:smiley_drive:

Here is a pretty good example of presentable, every-day pants that you can use to explore on your way home from work. They DO have a zippered pocket on the side, but it is hidden in the seam, so it is okay.:cool:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...=Active Pants&previousPage=&tab=men&color=225

I SECOND THE EDDDIE BAUER CLOTHES, CHECK THEM OUT, GOT SOME ON SALE AND LIKE THE PAINTS AND SHIRT LINE

Geodoc

Adventurer
Interesting. Not having been to Europe for a number of years (ok, well, decades) I was unaware that cargo pants were in (but I still don't like them).

Geodoc

Adventurer
Haven't been to Europe in a year but when, for all the years I went, I never worried about standing out. Believe me they know you are an American just by your manner and manners. You can't hide, so give it up..

Not growing up in America, I'm not a typical American and don't have many of the same mannerisms. My goal is to blend in (that is, until I open my mouth, then all bets are off). Of course, in some of the countries I lived, it was obvious I wasn't local (hint: I'm white, and living in Africa and SE Asia, you stick out like a sore thumb).

Geodoc

Adventurer
I go to the thrift store and get a suit or some decent shirts and pants and as they get dirty or no longer presentable I toss them. Lightens my load and gives me the opportunity to pick up something there and still be comfortable. You would be amazed at the quality of the second hand stores in Europe, you are sure to blend in with stuff that comes from the country you are in.

Great idea (one I had considered, but worry about the quick drying stuff).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles