Class C 4x4 to travel the western hemisphere- anyone done it?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I should have clarified more, these smaller "Cs" like the Chinook, Bigfoot, etc are fine. I consider them more of a B+ anyway. Its the big Cs that aren't built well enough to take any abuse.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Which Roads?

I lived in Latin America (Ecuador, Panama, Cuba, Bolivia, and Venezuela) for some fifteen between 1975 and 2003. During that time a drove a lot of the roads that most Latin American visitors will travel, up and down the Cordillera, into Amazonas, and across some of the deserts. The big news is that in the 70's there were very few roads that required 4x4 except after a rain, etc. Today there are even fewer. Most of the main roads in Bolivia, for example, are paved toll roads. There are still lots of opportunities to get gnarly, should you choose.

So while a multi-year trip around Latin America doesn't require the same gear as a trans Darrien expedition, you will still benefit from a robust vehicle and most 4x4 are, out of the box, better in this respect than most 2WD. Beyond that, the real question is your comfort level and tolerance for heat and cold. In your 20's and love hiking? Get a pickup with with a cover, build a bed in the back, and off you go. Don't make the mistake that I made and forget warm clothing and sleeping bags, the altiplano gets COLD. (You can see me freezing here: http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/bolivia76) A bit older and want to be more comfortable, try a Sportsmobile, XPCamper, or a Tiger. See, for example: http://whensparksfly.org And there are many, many more.

But I agree with Chris and Rob, the common American Class C or "Super C" RV would be a disaster, from the appallingly bad construction to the massive rear overhangs, etc. (Go to a few dealers or trade shows and you will see.)

There are some truck campers, North Star for example, which have been used successfully as well.

Bottom line: This is nowhere near as hard as some people think, but you do need a solid vehicle that meets your needs.

bajarat

Explorer
Don't tell these folks that you can't do South America in a 4x4 class C. Or Europe. Or North Africa. Or Turkey. Or Eastern Europe.

http://www.travelin-tortuga.com

Yep, they did it but.....

IMG_0464-L.png

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Last edited:

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I lived in Latin America (Ecuador, Panama, Cuba, Bolivia, and Venezuela) for some fifteen between 1975 and 2003. During that time a drove a lot of the roads that most Latin American visitors will travel, up and down the Cordillera, into Amazonas, and across some of the deserts. The big news is that in the 70's there were very few roads that required 4x4 except after a rain, etc. Today there are even fewer. Most of the main roads in Bolivia, for example, are paved toll roads. There are still lots of opportunities to get gnarly, should you choose.

So while a multi-year trip around Latin America doesn't require the same gear as a trans Darrien expedition, you will still benefit from a robust vehicle and most 4x4 are, out of the box, better in this respect than most 2WD. Beyond that, the real question is your comfort level and tolerance for heat and cold. In your 20's and love hiking? Get a pickup with with a cover, build a bed in the back, and off you go. Don't make the mistake that I made and forget warm clothing and sleeping bags, the altiplano gets COLD. (You can see me freezing here: http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/bolivia76) A bit older and want to be more comfortable, try a Sportsmobile, XPCamper, or a Tiger. See, for example: http://whensparksfly.org And there are many, many more.

But I agree with Chris and Rob, the common American Class C or "Super C" RV would be a disaster, from the appallingly bad construction to the massive rear overhangs, etc. (Go to a few dealers or trade shows and you will see.)

There are some truck campers, North Star for example, which have been used successfully as well.

Bottom line: This is nowhere near as hard as some people think, but you do need a solid vehicle that meets your needs.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question for DiploStrat: Any chance you drove through Sucre, Bolivia during your trip in '76? If so, I'd love to see some pictures if you have any! I spent 2 months there and loved it.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I've got a 98 Chinook (2WD) that I bought last year with only 35K on it. I really like the rig and certainly, take it on dirt and gravel roads but due to its size, I don't really consider it a four-wheeling vehicle, even if it had four wheel drive. It's just kind of cumbersome and big for real off roading. I've put it in a few spots that I probably shouldn't have and had to back up quite a ways to get it turned around. Bury something with this kind of weight and you'll be digging awhile. I think if you really put it off road a lot you'd end up tearing it up. As I stated, I love the creature comforts, quality build, fiberglass body and the compact size. I think it's one of the better built Class B's out there. If you find a good used one I think you'll be happy with it. It will take you to many great spots if you just slow down and pick your spots. I wouldn't hesitate at all taking my south.

Misc%20Bella%20Coola%20Proc%20%284%29-X3.jpg

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
We spent the 2016 summer in South America, from Columbia to Patagonia and most of the between (we stuck to the west coast for the most part, sans Argentinian east coast, i.e. no Brazil). You CAN do it in a Corolla. We only used 4WD when we chose to play on beaches or to find a secluded spot. Weather may vary.

draaronr

Adventurer
We spent the 2016 summer in South America, from Columbia to Patagonia and most of the between (we stuck to the west coast for the most part, sans Argentinian east coast, i.e. no Brazil). You CAN do it in a Corolla. We only used 4WD when we chose to play on beaches or to find a secluded spot. Weather may vary.

I just can't see spending 150k for a FUSO/global conquer the world vehicle. I am really torn. I love the sportsmobile but it wont work for a vehicle to live out of for that length of time. I like the chinook, not sure what others are comparable. I love the idea of an ambulance, and I could build what I needed but I need it to have a bed, kitchen, and shower/toilet. I love the fact it's so solid, and I love the platforms. Not sure if the Eseries are big enough might step up, but I do want 4x4. My fear with them is the weight as with the fuso, I am guessing the easiest is a pickup with a slide in camper, but you have to go around, you can't secure the whole structure by being in it. Just gathering the facts. I've sorted through some of the ambo builds but holy cow its all over the place and most threads have over 100 pages.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I just can't see spending 150k for a FUSO/global conquer the world vehicle. I am really torn. I love the sportsmobile but it wont work for a vehicle to live out of for that length of time. I like the chinook, not sure what others are comparable. I love the idea of an ambulance, and I could build what I needed but I need it to have a bed, kitchen, and shower/toilet. I love the fact it's so solid, and I love the platforms. Not sure if the Eseries are big enough might step up, but I do want 4x4. My fear with them is the weight as with the fuso, I am guessing the easiest is a pickup with a slide in camper, but you have to go around, you can't secure the whole structure by being in it. Just gathering the facts. I've sorted through some of the ambo builds but holy cow its all over the place and most threads have over 100 pages.

Yeah don't over think it. Maybe fly down for a month and rent a camper from Wicked as an appetizer?

Bottom line: simplicity wins, and you can make whatever you end up with work. The nature, culture, and random beauty you experience will make the trip, not your vehicle.

sg1

Adventurer
I have been traveling through Latin America since 2014 in my RV. A lot of travelers are doing it in a slide in truck camper. Good choice as long as it is not too big or heavy. Some of the roads are very narrow. I have only seen 2 Class C and both were literally falling apart. The seams of the panels came apart and cabinets fell off the walls. You don't need 4wd but the roads are often full of potholes and bumps.
Stefan

BobbyJones

Observer
I just can't see spending 150k for a FUSO/global conquer the world vehicle. I am really torn. I love the sportsmobile but it wont work for a vehicle to live out of for that length of time.

Just a thought for you- the 100k spread between something like a sportsmobile with a bathroom and a Fuso can buy you a lot of nights of decent lodging down south over a couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz